Injectors, turbo and such - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors, turbo and such

The truck is a 2002 6 speed with 338,000 miles and is still running the original injectors, turbo and clutch. I did replace the injector O-rings about 100,000 miles ago.

Since the O-ring replacement I have added a 4" exhaust and DP-Tuner tunes. Nothing major just some towing tunes for heavy towing.

I know the truck could use some new injectors. I see that Riffraff Diesel has "New" Alliant injectors for $213 each. Ouch! Are these really new? or are they rebuilt? Are they good or bad?

I also think it is time to rebuild the turbo also, as well, too. Center sections for the GTP38 are relatively cheap, <$400, and I would also like to add a Wicked Wheel 2 to the mix to get a little more air to the engine. Do I need a different tune or injectors or both to run the WW2? For reference, I pull a 14K fiver and when on the tunes have to really watch my EGT so I don't cook pistons. will the WW2 wheel help?

Since the clutch is old and tired but has lasted an eternity I'm leaning toward replacing it with a stock Ford unit. Any thought on this?

So sorry for the multiple questions but the old girl, while reliable, could use a make-up job.

Gary

2002 F250 XLT, Super Cab, Short Bed 4X4
Build Date: 10/1/2001
7.3 PSD, 6 Speed Manual Transmission
AIS Severe Duty Intake
20.1 MPG Average
Pine Junction, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
While new Alliant stock injectors are great (and yes, they are "new"...Alliant is the OEM for the injectors), they can be a bit pricey, and usually only come with a 1-year warranty. Personally, I would look at Swamp's rebuilt units. They have a great reputation, perform quality work, and offer a 5-year warranty.
Since your injectors will be out, you might look at going slightly bigger on the new injectors, perhaps 160-180cc (160cc was the stock size for the "High-output" Navistar T444 engine).

As for turbocharger: a new drop-in Garrett ball-bearing GTP38R turbo would increase your air-flow potential, while reducing your exhaust temps, and make the spool-up a little faster. The "38R" turbo is a drop-in replacement for the factory/OEM Garrett (GT38), but it has a slightly larger turbine housing (1.0 AR vs. .89AR), a slightly larger and shrouded compressor wheel and housing, and a ball-bearing center section, which decreases your spool-up time. They work quite well. But it's a little more expensive than rebuilding the stocker... They are available from almost every seller on the web, so shop around for the best price.

As far as your clutch, I would go with a South Bend Clutch unit, not the OEM Ford unit. They have several replacement/upgrade clutches packages available, and they also have a good reputation. Generally, they will come complete, as a kit, with a new flywheel, P-plate, disc, throw-out bearing and fork. I been running one their double-disc clutches for 13+ years.

If you did elect to upgrade the injectors and turbo, then it might be wise to let Jody at DP adjust you tunes accordingly. Timing and fuel rates would need to be corrected for the injectors and turbo changes.

Lastly, the one thing you didn't mention, but it's a vital component in the system, is your HPOP (high pressure oil pump). This supplies the injectors with high pressure engine oil (~3000psi), which is what actually performs the injection function. If your pump is original, with 300000+ miles on it, then it's probably ready for a change as well. Diesel Site makes the "Adrenaline" pump, which is said to be very good. I don't personally have one, as they were not available when I did most of my upgrades, but they too have a stellar reputation. Their pumps are very popular. The Adrenaline is a fully re-manufactured pump, but built to very exacting standards, and they provide an improved oil volume output (which equates to better/more pressure when running).

One additional note: If your engine is ALL original, you might also consider a fresh LPOP (low pressure oil pump) and rebuilding the oil cooler (basically re-oringing it), replacing the HPOP fittings (the internal seals on the STC fittings start to weep oil), freshen up your intercooler and intake spider boots... all of those rubber parts that will deteriorate with time and miles.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime-in with their input and opinions, but that's my 2-cents worth!

Oh yeah... and welcome to the Diesel Stop!

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in