Long slow start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long slow start

Have a 2001 7.3 runs great but has developed a long start. Changed the oil pressure sensor on the head and it helped. But atill have a long start. No codes any ideas where to go from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 AM

My Photos: (8)
I would check the glow plug relay and glow plugs, That is a easy DIY job with a multimeter. A search will give you the instructions on how to do it. If the batteries are in good shape my next place to look would be the starter. I have had three over the past 18 years that would turn the truck over but took too much current and the injectors would not fire properly. A good starter will spin the motor fast!! Once you go from a bad one to a good one you can really tell.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

I should have added that i checked the gpr and plugs as well as the starter and batterues all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 PM

Just spitballin' but it sounds like it could be your HPO system bleeding down while the truck is off and it's taking a bit of extra time to make up the loss and get above 500 psi to fire the injectors.

Do you have any signs of higher than normal oil consumption?

The Money Pit
2003 F-250 7.3L PSD FX4 CCSB, Dual Alternators - 160/80 SS, T500, FRx, 6.0 IC & TC (w/Derale), S&B, RR 4/4 Wheel, EBPV-less, RR OCR, IH Up-Pipes, Hydra (PHP & GH), ISSPRO Gauges, FTVB, 4" MBRP, H&H, Racor PS120, 140A Alternators, North Stars, Dynatrac, XRF, ATS Springs

Last edited by brian42; 10-16-2018 at 03:08 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Ok so i ran AE on the truck. Buzz check is good cold and hot. Contribution test good. Contribution readings on the cylinders where 0 except for the following: 3 varied from .5 to 1.5, 5 0 to 1, 8 2 to as high as 5.3. Also my injector oil pressure at idle hot is about 475 to 495. Ideas ?

2001 LWB 7.3l 4X4, DIY Bypass oil filter, Solid turbo pedestal, Leveling kit, Dyna Trac front end, True Trac Limited slip, DP Tuner, Glow Shift Gauges, Bellowed up pipes
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
With AE set to record the following parameters, crank the engine and record, then save the recording as an excel file and post it up. Or if you can graph the data, observe how fast the parameters rise to the min values needed to start.

Engine RPM (100 required to start)
ICP (500 psi required to start)
IPR Duty cycle (14%+/- at key on and rising to no more than about 35% is normal)
Fuel injector pulse width (1-6 msec needed)
Battery Voltage ( greater than 8 V cranking)

If IPR Duty Cycle goes much above 35%, that indicates leakage in the HP oil system. Could be injector o-rings.

Does it take the same cranking time to start whether hot or cold? If longer when hot, that also indicated leakage in the HP oil system, due to the hotter (thinner) oil getting thru the leak faster.

Your idle ICP looks normal, but you need to also observe IPR duty cycle at the same time. It should be no higher than 14%, and probably more like 11-12%. High IPR duty cycle indicates leakage in the HP oil system, with the IPR compensating for oil leaking out instead of building pressure to the injectors.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 10-31-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Well finally got this figured out the starter was bad. Installed a new gear reduction unit and it starts like a champ. For all those that commented will pointers thanks for your input.

2001 LWB 7.3l 4X4, DIY Bypass oil filter, Solid turbo pedestal, Leveling kit, Dyna Trac front end, True Trac Limited slip, DP Tuner, Glow Shift Gauges, Bellowed up pipes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
My crank speed was getting slow as well. I put in a rebuilt stock style starter and the difference in cranking speed is amazing. Spins like a top now.

Thanks for closing the loop on this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in