missing coolant-1999 f250 7.3 197,000miles - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
missing coolant-1999 f250 7.3 197,000miles

For probably a year the coolant level in the reservoir bottle would run an inch low ever month or two. Topped it off each time. I made a 1000 mile trip and the coolant was 2 or 3 quarts low. I can't find any leaks. If the coolants going out the exhaust, how's it escaping? No coolant in the engine oil, can't see any oil in the coolant. Thanks

Early1999F250ccsb2wd, AIS air, Banks Power Elbow and 4" turbo back exhaust, 6.0 trans cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 PM

When was the last time you changed the water pump? I started losing coolant at about 100k miles on the truck. There weren't any drips on the ground, or on the oil pan underneath, but I would have to top off coolant every couple of months. I finally took it to my mechanic to take a look at. He told me that when the water pump first starts leaking, its such a small amount that it evaporates before it can hit the ground, or gets thrown back under the truck motor as you're driving. I went ahead and had him change the water pump, and the leaking stopped. I only have to top it off an inch or so every 6 to 9 months now.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 30 ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mine does the same thing. It will stay one inch low all year long, but as soon as I fill it to the "full" mark, it will slowly work its way back to its happy spot. I've used dye, spent hours dabbing paper towels and searching with a flashlight - no leaks. It just doesn't like being that full. I quit fighting it years ago.
rv6a and jleedog like this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Mine does the same thing. It will stay one inch low all year long, but as soon as I fill it to the "full" mark, it will slowly work its way back to its happy spot. I've used dye, spent hours dabbing paper towels and searching with a flashlight - no leaks. It just doesn't like being that full. I quit fighting it years ago.
Same here, about 1” lower than factory mark. I just used a black permanent marker and a straight edge to draw a 1” line at the level it likes.

Never had any noticeable loss of fluid in the years since then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Funny, mine does the same the thing. I tried keeping it full but it always kept itself at the level it seems to like. Can't find leaks and nothing in the oil.

Late '99, F-250 7.3L, PSD, Super Duty, AT, 4X4, Crew Cab, 235 Mich tires, MBRP 4" Exhaust, 6-setting DP-Tuner (set for +80hp Econ mode), K&N Filter and Intake Tube, 203 thermostat, coolant filter, A-Pillar Isspro gauge set (pyro pre-turbo, trans temp, boost), Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, 6.0L tranny cooler, BTS valve body, rebuilt trans at 196K mi, bilstein shocks, HPOP rebuild, Fuel and oil crossover, Chevron Delo 400 10-40w, Zoodad mod, late model cup holder.

No time left for Drinking.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:35 PM

Mine is the same way, shouldnt there always be at least some in the reservoir even when it's hot? Just had my 2005 6.0 turbo in to have the coolant system inspected for leaks and they could only find one at the egr delete kit which they fixed. But still after I ran it 75 miles today, the reservoir is empty with the engine still hot. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.hoggatt View Post
Mine is the same way, shouldnt there always be at least some in the reservoir even when it's hot? Just had my 2005 6.0 turbo in to have the coolant system inspected for leaks and they could only find one at the egr delete kit which they fixed. But still after I ran it 75 miles today, the reservoir is empty with the engine still hot. Any ideas?
When the engine is hot, the coolant tank level should be higher than when the engine is cold due to thermal expansion of the coolant.
Does the level come back up when the engine cools off? If so, it may be air in the system, otherwise, you have a leak somewhere.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm gonna check it in the morning and see if it comes back up.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Update. I checked the levels this morning and it did not come back up. I'm wondering now if maybe a bad thermostat could cause the system to lose coolant out the degas bottle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in