The Diesel Stop banner

Is my tranny getting ready to let go?

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  69mach1377 
#1 ·
Coming home today in residential streets, maybe 25 mph my excursion seemed to jump out of gear, was cruising and all of a sudden no drive, almost seemed like it was dragging me down. Put it in neutral and back into drive and it was good but still wanting to jump out of gear. I made it home but a little afraid to drive it. Checked the fluid and it was full. No visible leaks. It's always been strong. It's an 01 7.3 automatic with appx. 225k miles on it. Light towing 20 ft boat, motorcycle gear, etc.

Should I drive it til it let's go, is there anything I can do to save it, or has it reached it's life span?

Thanks in advance,

#2 ·
You had a good run at 225k, probably time for a rebuild. Mine shudders in reverse now and I don't want it to go out in the middle of nowhere...

#3 ·
It could be a failing TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) The TRS is on the driver's side of the transmission. It's the part with the wire harness attached.

#6 ·
The only way to test the TRS is to get a program like Forscan and log data. Watch what the PRNDL display does in the data, not on the dash. If it is changing when you are not moving the shift handle then the TRS is bad. If the display doesn't change when it is going to neutral the trans is bad.

#7 ·
Talked to a tranny shop today, explained the problem, he asked if it want's to slow down when I give it more throttle, and told me to check the fuel filter as it may be clogged causing the problem. I can't really see it being a clogged filter, but thought I would throw it out there.

Anyone hear of this, or should I call a different trans shop.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey Mark,

Just had the trans scanned, the data is showing that it's in 1st gear when shifter is in park, neutral, and 1st. It is not showing 3rd gear solenoid sensor coming on.

While driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, then when it hits 3rd it feels like a jake brake is on it pulling it down, as soon as the the truck is slow enough to get into 2nd again, it is fine until it up shifts back into 3rd.

So, what do you think, solenoid sensor pack or TRS, the scanner didn't have a reading to check the TRS.

Thanks again,

#10 ·
"Look man" (sarcasm), you need to grab this thing by the balls if you want to do it yourself and dive into the manual and follow the troubleshooting/diagnosis guide. If you want to diy you need to get a service manual. Otherwise bring it in and pay the bill.

It is possible to download manuals on the net (not going to get into that) otherwise get on ebay. It sounds to me like you might have something as simple as a bad connection.. Id start out with pulling all connectors and using a good connection cleaning spray on them.

When I was troubleshooting my 4wd I found a connector disconnected by a mechanic. Maybe its a linkage issue.. but if the 3rd gear solenoid isnt changing state Id expect behavior like you mention.. trans fluid isnt flowing through the right part of the fluid logic system.

#12 ·
I guess I was hoping that with enough information you folks would be able to guide me in the right direction. As much as I know about cars (older cars), I'm the first to admit I know nothing about transmissions. Guess I'll bite the bullet and take it in rather than throw parts at it that may or may not correct it.

Thanks guys, your suggestions have been helpful. I'm just a guy that like to do it my self and save a few $$ when I can.

I'll put an update when I get it to a shop.

#14 ·
Like I said...but a second opinion would seal that fate.

#16 · (Edited)
4k is about the max I hope mine will cost installed, but I would expect an upgraded torque converter for towing. I should be getting a quote soon. 4k every 10-20 years is a lot better than buying a new truck, that's for sure...

As for the Mach1, after 28 years and too much money, I got it close to what I wanted including a 475 hp 395W, Astro A5 trans, 3.5" alum DS, 9" 3.50:1 rear, R&P tilt steering, and a bad ass lowered stance. Then I broke my left ankle and could not shift worth a crap, so I sold it and now have a 2016 GT/CS that is much safer and just as fun but has many options that just can't be added to a classic w/o a huge budget.

Attachments

#18 ·
I'm pretty sure the 4r100 started 99, where the e40d ended in 97. will have to wait for the more experienced but I think there might be some issues putting an e40d in place of a 4r100. It should bolt right in but lengths might be different, linkage, wiring connector, tailshaft yoke. another concern might be your pcm is programmed for a 4r100; sending those codes to a e40d might be an issue as well, idk.

4 grand for a rebuild seems a bit steep, seems that you could get one from ford for not much more. I know there are some aftermarket trannys that are slightly built for less than 4k but that also doesn't include the swap.

#20 · (Edited)
OP, I just got one quote for 2495 installed for a basic unit. Upgraded clutches as desired began at 400 for 'redline'. Upgraded converters began at 200. I asked about a nationwide warranty and he was confident enough to say, "I'll give you one", only once in 10 years has he lost that gamble and had to pay. When I asked about a shift kit he said that was old tech...huh?
I'm also getting a quote from my pro mech bro-in-law, but his source is taking a while to get back to him.

#21 ·
OP, update on trans quote thru my BIL.
$1636 plus 800 core plus 186 shipping plus tax and install labor. 18m/18k warr and about a week to build plus shipping time. Supposed to have the latest updates but w/o custom options. Optional 36/100 warr for 150.
I just gave the go ahead to order and we'll probably mod the valve body for quicker shifting, maybe another 100?
I should probably fill it with synthetic from the get go, right guys?

#23 ·
I guess I'm surprised the OP or anyone else is not curious about the trans source...Transtar Industries. Nationwide warranty.

Reactions: atic
#24 ·
I never bought a complete trans from Transtar, but when I had a shop I used to buy all of my transmission parts from them.

Reactions: atic
#25 ·
I guess we'll find out how good they put one together...hey, whatever happened to the op?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.