Is my tranny getting ready to let go? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is my tranny getting ready to let go?

Coming home today in residential streets, maybe 25 mph my excursion seemed to jump out of gear, was cruising and all of a sudden no drive, almost seemed like it was dragging me down. Put it in neutral and back into drive and it was good but still wanting to jump out of gear. I made it home but a little afraid to drive it. Checked the fluid and it was full. No visible leaks. It's always been strong. It's an 01 7.3 automatic with appx. 225k miles on it. Light towing 20 ft boat, motorcycle gear, etc.

Should I drive it til it let's go, is there anything I can do to save it, or has it reached it's life span?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
You had a good run at 225k, probably time for a rebuild. Mine shudders in reverse now and I don't want it to go out in the middle of nowhere...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbotana View Post
Coming home today in residential streets, maybe 25 mph my excursion seemed to jump out of gear, was cruising and all of a sudden no drive, almost seemed like it was dragging me down. Put it in neutral and back into drive and it was good but still wanting to jump out of gear. I made it home but a little afraid to drive it. Checked the fluid and it was full. No visible leaks. It's always been strong. It's an 01 7.3 automatic with appx. 225k miles on it. Light towing 20 ft boat, motorcycle gear, etc.

Should I drive it til it let's go, is there anything I can do to save it, or has it reached it's life span?

Thanks in advance,
It could be a failing TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) The TRS is on the driver's side of the transmission. It's the part with the wire harness attached.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Is there a way to test the TRS

Thanks
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I took it for a drive this morning, about every hundred yards or so it looses drive and wants to really slow down, put it in neutral and it's good for another 100 yards or so.

The trans feels strong and isn't making any noise.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 PM

The only way to test the TRS is to get a program like Forscan and log data. Watch what the PRNDL display does in the data, not on the dash. If it is changing when you are not moving the shift handle then the TRS is bad. If the display doesn't change when it is going to neutral the trans is bad.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Talked to a tranny shop today, explained the problem, he asked if it want's to slow down when I give it more throttle, and told me to check the fuel filter as it may be clogged causing the problem. I can't really see it being a clogged filter, but thought I would throw it out there.

Anyone hear of this, or should I call a different trans shop.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM

It's certainly not impossible.

Mark
Former

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mark,

Just had the trans scanned, the data is showing that it's in 1st gear when shifter is in park, neutral, and 1st. It is not showing 3rd gear solenoid sensor coming on.

While driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, then when it hits 3rd it feels like a jake brake is on it pulling it down, as soon as the the truck is slow enough to get into 2nd again, it is fine until it up shifts back into 3rd.

So, what do you think, solenoid sensor pack or TRS, the scanner didn't have a reading to check the TRS.

Thanks again,

Last edited by bossbotana; 07-15-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Just had the trans scanned, the data is showing that it's in 1st gear when shifter is in park, neutral, and 1st. It is not showing 3rd gear solenoid sensor coming on.

While driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, then when it hits 3rd it feels like a jake brake is on it pulling it down, as soon as the the truck is slow enough to get into 2nd again, it is fine until it up shifts back into 3rd.

So, what do you think, solenoid sensor pack or TRS, the scanner didn't have a reading to check the TRS.

Thanks again,
"Look man" (sarcasm), you need to grab this thing by the balls if you want to do it yourself and dive into the manual and follow the troubleshooting/diagnosis guide. If you want to diy you need to get a service manual. Otherwise bring it in and pay the bill.

It is possible to download manuals on the net (not going to get into that) otherwise get on ebay. It sounds to me like you might have something as simple as a bad connection.. Id start out with pulling all connectors and using a good connection cleaning spray on them.

When I was troubleshooting my 4wd I found a connector disconnected by a mechanic. Maybe its a linkage issue.. but if the 3rd gear solenoid isnt changing state Id expect behavior like you mention.. trans fluid isnt flowing through the right part of the fluid logic system.

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Just had the trans scanned, the data is showing that it's in 1st gear when shifter is in park, neutral, and 1st.
That is correct, it is supposed to do that. It will also show first gear in reverse.

Quote:
It is not showing 3rd gear solenoid sensor coming on.
There is no 3rd gear solenoid sensor. If you mean the 3rd gear shift solenoid, there isn't one of those, either. This trans has two shift solenoids, it selects gears by turning them on and off in a pattern.

Quote:
I'm not sure what causes that. I think you may need a shop manual with it's excellent diagnostic routines. Hint: If it says Haynes or Chilton on it, it isn't a shop manual. If it says either of those it is 100% worthless. You can get real manuals at http://helminc.com, or used ones are available, too.

Quote:
There isn't enough information to make any determination. You could spend a bunch of money and replace both and see if that fixes it. If not, then you could try diagnostics to find out what the real problem is.

The scanner couldn't read PRND21? I find that hard to believe.

Mark
Former

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I guess I was hoping that with enough information you folks would be able to guide me in the right direction. As much as I know about cars (older cars), I'm the first to admit I know nothing about transmissions. Guess I'll bite the bullet and take it in rather than throw parts at it that may or may not correct it.

Thanks guys, your suggestions have been helpful. I'm just a guy that like to do it my self and save a few $$ when I can.

I'll put an update when I get it to a shop.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Took it a shop today, they just called and said it's toast, somethings binding up in it, like throwing out an anchor when it hits 3rd gear.

Wants to do a rebuild $3500 - $4000
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Like I said...but a second opinion would seal that fate.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I plan on calling around before I pull the trigger, $4k seems like a lot for a transmission.

How's your Mach 1, I have a restored 70 Boss 302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in