Need help with 4r100 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with 4r100

Hi all. New to the forum. Lots of good info here. Okay, I have recently purchased a 2001 Excursion with the 7.3/ 4R100 combination. It runs and drives great except for one issue with the transmission. When shifting into third gear (pulling my boat) the tranny seems to make some type of stumble sorta like I'm hitting a large pothole or something. I am familiar with the hard shifts these make because I also own a pickup with the same set up. I have also noticed that when down shifting into passing gear it tends to stumble a bit and not immediately down shift. I did notice that without the boat behind it, the stumble into third seems more like a delayed shift or kinda like a slip. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Welcome to the forum! The 4R100 expert will be online shortly to answer your question.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I'd look at fuel filters and injectors before the transmission. Engines create stumbles, not transmissions.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Will do that. But would a filter or injector issue always show up shifting into the same gear?

Last edited by Howard Avery; 04-15-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM

I don't know. I also can't come up with any way the transmission can make the engine stumble. I've also never seen a transmission stumble.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 AM

I had a huge old gasser that had a tranny issue, and it would not down shift correctly. When I stomped on it , it wouldn't drop a gear , and boy did that big block stumble when it did. Ended up blowing up the transmission and taking it to the wrecker. So never knew what failed when it blew or wouldn't gear down right. No help I know, but it stumbled. I think Mark is just slagging you on your terminology. Meaning, he don't know what your describing. Could it be a shudder? Tranny can definitely do that.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Okay so maybe stumble isn't the correct description, let's try this. Occasionally when it shifts from second to third pulling my boat it is more than a hard shift. It feels more like a slam into gear. Without the boat it feels like it starts to shift into gear before it actually engages. Kinda like a double shift.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM

That's a better description. lol. Mark is the tranny expert. Hes your man. Be patient, he can be hard to get answers from, but he knows his tranny stuff.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 PM

I don't try to be hard to get answers from.....

Does the truck have a chip or a tuner?

Mark
Former

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Not that I am aware of. Just made the purchase a few weeks ago and the owner didn't mention any modifications.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 PM

With the transmission warmed up, in park, and the engine idling, what is the trans fluid level? Does it have a burnt odor to it? What color is the fluid, red, pink, brown, or black?

Mark
Former

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

The fluid level is full, no odor and is red in color.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 AM

My Photos: (1)
The stock 4R100 in my 2000 7.3 had a weird kind of shift when under full throttle for that gear.
Original 4R100 lasted 203k miles, I replaced it with an HD4R100, the odd 2-3 shift under power was gone, so someone figured out how to fix it in the HD version.

2000 E350, I ordered it from the factory, new. Dual A/C, XLT Super Duty trim, 3.55 limited slip, trailer tow class IV package, dual alternators,
speed control/tilt wheel, HD4R100 installed @203k miles, B&M cast pan,
Dahl 100 fuel filter, deleted stock fuel bowl drain valve (leaker),
replaced turbo pedestal w/ non-EBPV, deleted AIH. Bilstein shocks. Jensen VX7021 Navigation receiver, Garmin 65W dash cam
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM

I don't know what the problem is. I need more data. You need a tool that can tell what gear the PCM is commanding, and whether it is commanding the torque converter to lock or not.

Mark
Former

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnofh1 View Post
The stock 4R100 in my 2000 7.3 had a weird kind of shift when under full throttle for that gear.
Original 4R100 lasted 203k miles, I replaced it with an HD4R100, the odd 2-3 shift under power was gone, so someone figured out how to fix it in the HD version.

John Wood figured that out along time ago. I have a stock tranny, and put Johns throttle body on there. Its still holding together, and I toss all my torque at it all the time. Before I got my low bed and rig, I used to tow my 26000 lb backhoe with my truck, and boy did that throttle body work great. I probably have 50 000 miles on it since I exceeded 500hp, still holding together. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in