Need Help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help

I am located in Denison Texas about 8 miles from the OK/TX border. I am having issues with starting the truck and keeping it running. If I crank and hold it for a while it like sputter and crank over for about a minute or so, put out some white-gray smoke, and then die out. I don't have a programmer or gauges other than the factory. i have replaced the batteries and battery connections about a week ago. New fuel filter about two weeks ago. i also replaced the icp sensor about a month ago. i have tools with me but cant afford a scanner. i have a test light and volt meter if that helps. The weather is about 50 degrees at night when i'm attempting to start the truck after getting off from work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Try plugging the truck in for a few hours. If that helps, you may have worn poppets. They make cold starts hard to impossible. I will insert a link later that explains why. How many miles on your injectors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I would imagine the injectors are original so 325K miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM
RT

That's a lot of miles on a set of injectors. If it runs ok warm, do the spacers on them. Read the link to see why this is your problem and then get the kit I mention below.

PoppetValve.pdf

Go to eBay. Search for "94-03 7.3L POWERSTROKE injector tune up shim KIT w/ special Tools to install" by a guy named truckrental. This kit will raise the armature plate off the poppet valve which is your problem. Watch the video and read the whole item description in the ebay ad.

Edit - you can do the shimming with the injectors in the truck, BUT with that many miles you probably need new injector o-rings as well.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE

Last edited by RT; 10-19-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Okay I will look online and get the kit ordered. It is just recently getting cold and so I guess the problem is more pronounced. Thank you for quick responses and explanations.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Another thing to check on these trucks is fuel delivery. The Hutch mod and a fuel pressure gauge are invaluable additions to these trucks as they age, I wouldn't be without them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Okay updates. So I kept reading around the forum while waiting for the shims kit and found other things to do. I checked the GP relay and found it no power when on to the other big terminal. I replaced it and tried to start it, which it started but died shortly after. I read some more and checked the HPOP reservoir and found it almost empty. I filled it and tried to start it for the same result. I checked the HPOP again and half the oil was gone... I then decided to check the dipstick to no find no oil on the dipstick. I need help and a scanner recommendation that will get me going and keep me going. Thanks again for everyone’s time and input

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:45 PM
RT

So, did you add oil? I didn’t mention glow plugs for two reasons. First, a 7.3 will start in 50 degree weather without a problem. Second, it wouldn’t explain it dying after starting. Low oil would though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 PM

My Photos: (180)
I'm with RT.
You need to find out where all the oil went.
Check the engine valley and the hoses between the HPOP and heads.
A 7.3L should go 5000 miles without needing to add oil.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Start by filling it up with oil, and then see if it runs alright with full oil. Then look at the top of the engine while it is running to see if you can see the oil leaking out somewhere, and check the valley to see if there is oil in there.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in