Need help with electrical issue, battery drain - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with electrical issue, battery drain

Man, I just typed this whole thing out and it disappeared....
New to me 2000 f350 7.3, just brought it up to n Illinois from Texas about 3 weeks ago. Since it’s cold here I noticed the glow plugs weren’t working but would charge when I jumped cross the big terminals on the gpr. I since then changed out all 8 plugs with ford ones and a new autozone gpr. After the job was done the gpr still wouldn’t charge. I found if I smacked the relay it would “click” and charge the plugs.
Today I went to start it and same thing. I went under the hood and smacked the relay and it clicked. By the time I walked round to hit the key the batteries were about dead. Within 2-3 minutes they were down to about 2v. I’ve ordered a stancore relay but it’s not here yet.
I really can’t see a defective relay causing a rapid drain like that but electrical issues are my worst enemy..the batteries seem fine and hold a charge, connections clean and tight.

Edit: I also noticed that if I smacked the old gpr it would charge as well...

I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks,Al

Last edited by pinboy122; 02-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

You should be able hear the gpr while it’s energized—until it cycles off. My hearing isn’t that great so I actually have a LED indicator light wired to mine to see the cycle.
IMO, while I was waiting on the other gpr, I would disconnect the batteries, charge separately, see if they both take a full charge, check voltage, and maybe have a load test put on them. If they both test good— I would disconnect the gpr that’s on there now- hook up batteries and let sit making sure you don’t have a parasitic drain somewhere else. Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I can hear the gpr when it energizes.I borrowed a load testor from a neighbor and they both show “weak”, with 1 a little worse than the other. So I guess I’m going to be battery shopping. Hopefully that’s all it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Maybe the signal wire on the GPR is not providing enough voltage for the GPR to switch, or even a bad ground.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Absolute, I was kinda thinking the same thing. It’s intermittent but usually won’t click on unless I smack it. I think the 1st order of business is new batteries and then go from there. I believe that signal wire comes from the pcm? Is there a way to test it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Update....bought 2 new 850cca batteries and put them in. The gpr still wouldn’t “click in” every time. Maybe 3 out of 10 times. Today I put the stancore gpr in and so far it has worked without flaw. I guess the next few days will tell. Thanks for the help. Hopefully all I have left to do is an airbag Clockspring and I can start driving this truck every day
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM

I replaced glow plugs on my 2000 and it would eat the factory relay in one to two starts that’s if it would energize at all. So after 3 relays I found the white Rogers relay and have had no problems that was 6 years ago. Good luck and I hope that fixed your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 PM

Newly purchased trucks always come with a few “surprises”. I bet you wish you had changed the GPs in warm TX. I would bet 75% of 7.3’s sold today have failed GPs or GPR...Lol

+1 on Stancor!

You did the right thing by replacing batteries. The seller could have probably kept using them til next Fall in warm climates but cold temps like you are getting in IL is another story.

You have a high post count for a 3- week old truck. Whats your other Powerstroke?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 02-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

New batteries and stancore still going strong. Fired right up without block heater after sitting more than 24hrs in near 0 temps!!
Arctic my other truck is also a 2000 7.3. Bought it new and have clocked about 412,000miles. It’s rusted out so bad I thought it was time for a back up. I’m still driving it to try and keep the “new” one out of the salt until I do something about rust proofing it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM

In one of my other posts a while back, I had found that the battery cables looked fine on the outside, but when I peeled back the insulation a few inches from the terminal, I found all sorts of wire cancer. I had had an issue with batteries down here only lasting a year to 18 months, and then having to get new batteries. It wasn't until the 4th gyration of getting new batteries ($$$$) that I decided to check the cables. Btw, in that time, I had also changed out the voltage regulator 3 times. After changing out the wire harness 2 years ago, I haven't had any more battery issues. fwiw, it is my opinion that the batteries made now are not nearly as good as the batteries from 10 or 15 years ago. Yes, we run a lot more through those batteries than we used to, but even boat batteries don't last longer than a year or two any more.
I do love my 2000 F250, though. When I bought it in 1999, I sure hadn't planned on keeping it around this long. But, its too good and reliable to consider replacing it now.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 156k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great place and price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 29ft TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in