No Power, High EGT, Black Smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Power, High EGT, Black Smoke

Aight, I figure I'll give the ol' forums one last go before I commit arson-based insurance fraud to rid myself of my demon-possessed 99 7.3.

Symptoms: Most of these only apply when the truck is cold. After driving 5 miles or so it improves noticeably, but still lacks power.

• Idles well. Has a misfire under load (such as low RPMs in overdrive) until it warms up, at which point the miss disappears.
  • Low power pretty consistently, better when warm.
  • Absolutely DUMPS black fuel smoke when cold.
  • EGTs stupid high
  • Fuel economy is garbage. Drinks fuel like no tomorrow.

Tests Performed:

• No fault codes stored in ECU
  • Buzz test passes
  • CCT shows different results every time I run it
  • All 8 injectors spit oil as expected with valve cover off. Some blowby visible under valve covers. Nothing extreme.
  • Visible blowby from filler neck, but no pressure behind it. Doesn't blow off filler cap or ping pong ball.
  • Fuel in filter bowl clean, not contaminated by oil.

All this adds up to "overfueling, injector issue" in my head. Please share your thoughts.

Every time I look at the truck something breaks. I've been trying to get it to run well enough to sell for months now. Most recent development is that the flexplate cracked sitting in a parking lot. I hate this thing with a holy passion, and I'm tired of working on it. I refuse to spend another dollar on it that isn't absolutely necessary, so replacing all injectors is not an option. I'd like to know the best way to pinpoint which injector is the problem so that I can throw a junkyard injector in it long enough to make it someone else's problem.

Thanks for the help, assuming anyone responds.

Last edited by Redlineauto; 03-12-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Idk what kinda janky BBcode is going on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:28 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

All of your symptoms could be explained by lack of boost. Check the turbo for play and do a leak test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Traildust likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
All of your symptoms could be explained by lack of boost. Check the turbo for play and do a leak test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, that's been on my to-do list for a while. Boost gauge shows 20ish PSI at WOT. Forgive my ignorance, how would a boost issue disappear as the motor heats up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 PM

My Photos: (180)
Have you checked the operation of the Exhaust Back Pressure valve? If it's stuck shut it could definitely cause high EGT's and additional fuel consumption. The PCM is supposed to open the valve when you mash the go-pedal, but if it's getting a false signal (shorted wire applying full voltage to the control solenoid, for instance) the valve would stay shut. Could be as simple as a biased EBP sensor. Try unplugging the EBP sensor and see what happens.
The EBP system stays active until Engine Oil Temp reaches 140F (IIRC).

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 03-12-2019 at 11:18 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Have you checked the operation of the Exhaust Back Pressure valve? If it's stuck shut it could definitely cause high EGT's and additional fuel consumption. The PCM is supposed to open the valve when you mash the go-pedal, but if it's getting a false signal (shorted wire applying full voltage to the control solenoid, for instance) the valve would stay shut. Could be as simple as a biased EBP sensor. Try unplugging the EBP sensor and see what happens.
The EBP system stays active until Engine Oil Temp reaches 140F (IIRC).
EBP sensor isn't connected to anything and the connector at the pedestal is unplugged. The bus motor had a freeze plug at the manifold where the EBP sensor connects on the
Powerstroke motors, and I couldn't get it out to save my life. EBPV valve is confirmed wide open.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM
RT

I suppose the turbo could be sluggish with cold oil. How many miles are on the injectors? Worn poppets can cause trouble when cold.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I suppose the turbo could be sluggish with cold oil. How many miles are on the injectors? Worn poppets can cause trouble when cold.
113K, but no knowledge of maintenance history, only a reasonable expectation that the schoolbus donor for the motor was well maintained as part of a government fleet. Turbski seems fine, no play and builds good boost.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
RT

Did you use the injector out of the school bus? They are probably single shots. Your stock tune is set up for split shot injectors. Did you look at the injector code on the donor motor?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you use the injector out of the school bus? They are probably single shots. Your stock tune is set up for split shot injectors. Did you look at the injector code on the donor motor?
Bus injectors are ADs. Truck is tuned for ABs, but they are both split shots and can be run on the same tune.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I got some numbers today. ICP reads 3000ish PSI at WOT, duty cycle around 50% which seems a little on the low side. Symptoms were the same as always today, but I didn't drive it enough to get past the stage of operation where it misses, which would have been good for comparing numbers. Between the oil leak and the fact that the flexplate sounds like it's plotting the worst possible time to shatter into a million pieces, driving it is an anxiety inducing experience.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Bump, still trying to figure this out. Yesterday I started the truck dead cold. Idled fine, ran rough in drive as per usual. Mashed brake. Mashed throttle. No effect. RPM didn't increase, no pull against the brakes, EGT didn't move. So now we're going back and forth between too much fuel and not enough.

Still need to get a fuel pressure gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in