No response from accelerator - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No response from accelerator

Could use a little help with my 01 f350. Sometimes I get no response from my gas pedal at idle and have to push the pedal a couple times before it will rev the engine. This has also happened a few times when I let off the pedal at slow speeds. While it’s happening the check engine light will come on and once the gas pedal starts working properly, it will go off. Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

01 F-350 7.3 crewcab,longbed, Lariat, 4" DPPI 4 inch exhaust, severe air intake, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Prodigy brake controller and Rhino bedliner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
A scan tool will tell you what's wrong, but most likely, your Idle Validation Switch on the Accelerator Pedal assembly is sticking. The pedal assembly comes out easily, and has two electrical connectors on it. The connector with 2 pins goes to the IVS and the 3-pin connector goes to the AP Position Sensor. I would pull the assembly out and hit the IVS (and the APPS -can't hurt) with some electrical contact cleaner. Reinstall and see if that fixes up your problem.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Iíll look that way. I did check and it shows no codes were thrown.

01 F-350 7.3 crewcab,longbed, Lariat, 4" DPPI 4 inch exhaust, severe air intake, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Prodigy brake controller and Rhino bedliner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sp View Post
I did check and it shows no codes were thrown.
What did you use for a code reader? The generic ones won't work on your truck. It takes a PSD capable scan tool. If the Check Engine Light was on, there WILL be a code stored.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh. Okay, Iíll see if I can find one. I did take off the pedal assembly and I have only one five pin connector on it. I cleaned the contacts and see if that cures the problem. Thanks.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sp View Post
I did take off the pedal assembly and I have only one five pin connector on it.
Hmm, I could have sworn the '01 still had the pedal with two connectors.
Quite a few guys use AutoEnginuity that runs on a laptop. About $360 for the Ford Enhanced package which you'll need.
What needs to be cleaned is the pivot point on the actual switch, as opposed to the connector pins.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Again thanks for the info. Iíll take it back off and clean the pivot point.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Quite a few guys use AutoEnginuity that runs on a laptop. About $360 for the Ford Enhanced package which you'll need.
What needs to be cleaned is the pivot point on the actual switch, as opposed to the connector pins.
Forscan has the IVR on it and its $5.00 + a good bluetooth scanner.

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
I have an 01 Excursion and it has one connector. When that IVS is FUBAR, you replace the entire thing.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:44 AM

So I recently had some issues where my truck would stall while I was running. The stall would occur and the SES light would come ON immediately (or maybe the light was ON already). I could depress my clutch pedal and the engine would go to idle and no throttle response. The engine would not stop. A second or two later, the light would turn OFF and throttle response was normal.

The issue got a little worse and sometime it would stutter without the SES light coming ON.

I stopped by my local diesel mechanic and they ran a scan. They were able to see a Low Battery (I had to replace both the week before) and nothing else. They suggested the Throttle Position Sensor. Okay, mine is an '00 and it was an OEM part, the whole assembly pedal, Idle Validation Switch and TPS. It was a $428 assembly.

No issues since then and I did notice no lag when I lightly depress the pedal taking off from a stop light.

'00 F250 XLT 4x4 (born on 6/00), manual tranny & hubs, SPA Techniques EGT/Boost Gauge, Homemade Return Fuel Regulator, Toro Liner, 203* T-stat and Coolant Filter, LUK Clutch, flywheel & pressure plate, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filter
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie View Post
So I recently had some issues where my truck would stall while I was running. The stall would occur and the SES light would come ON immediately (or maybe the light was ON already). I could depress my clutch pedal and the engine would go to idle and no throttle response. The engine would not stop. A second or two later, the light would turn OFF and throttle response was normal.

The issue got a little worse and sometime it would stutter without the SES light coming ON.

I stopped by my local diesel mechanic and they ran a scan. They were able to see a Low Battery (I had to replace both the week before) and nothing else. They suggested the Throttle Position Sensor. Okay, mine is an '00 and it was an OEM part, the whole assembly pedal, Idle Validation Switch and TPS. It was a $428 assembly.

No issues since then and I did notice no lag when I lightly depress the pedal taking off from a stop light.
At one point the pedal assemblies were on national back order and the price shot up to around $800. I bought one for my truck years ago, brand new OEM for $129 and carry it with me when travelling, so far have never needed it.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
At one point the pedal assemblies were on national back order and the price shot up to around $800. I bought one for my truck years ago, brand new OEM for $129 and carry it with me when travelling, so far have never needed it.
If we determine the time value of money, mine was still cheaper.

'00 F250 XLT 4x4 (born on 6/00), manual tranny & hubs, SPA Techniques EGT/Boost Gauge, Homemade Return Fuel Regulator, Toro Liner, 203* T-stat and Coolant Filter, LUK Clutch, flywheel & pressure plate, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filter
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie View Post
If we determine the time value of money, mine was still cheaper.

Maybe, but if I would ever need it on one of my frequent trips into Mexico it would be priceless. Or anywhere else where parts are hard to come by.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in