No start after sitting overnight - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after sitting overnight

Hello everyone, brand new to this forum
I have a 2000 7.3 that I've been having trouble with, won't start after sitting overnight but will fire up normally if I plug it in, it doesn't matter what the Temp is just won't fire. I've put in a new ICP, IPR,CPS, and it has new glow plugs, I put in a new glow plug relay as well and tested the circuits all is good. If I forget to plug it in I'll use a bit of ether to getter goin(hate doin it) if I don't let it warm up enough she runs rough as hell like all injectors aren't firing, as I go down the road you can feel the rest kick in and truck comes alive. IMO it's not injectors because the thing runs like a top all day, starts fine drives fine , only seems to do it after sitting overnight. If any of you have had this problem some direction would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:59 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

So - you really need to narrow it down to two causes. Injectors or high pressure oil. If plugging it in overnight helps, then it is the injectors. The reason for this is the poppet valve clearance becomes so narrow that the oil film won't release the poppet allowing it to fire. I am attaching a handout that explains this. The cure for this - other than getting new injectors - is to shim your existing injectors. You can buy a kit on ebay by searching "94-03 7.3L POWERSTROKE injector tune up shim KIT w/ special Tools" by truckrental. Not me, by the way. Just a guy doing a great job on ebay.

If plugging it in doesn't help, then very likely your HPOP is draining down overnight. This causes excessive cranking to get it started the next morning. The ether boost helps because you're basically cranking the engine over very fast as the ether burns priming the HPOP which allows it to continue running. The test for this is to pull the top plug on the HPOP reservoir and sticking a dipstick or wooden swab down to measure the height of the oil. It should be about one inch down from the top. If it is dry - you've got a problem.

Read the attachment - it's good stuff.

PoppetValve.pdf

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Awesome thank you, very good info makes perfect sense to me after reading the attachment. I'll check the level in the hpop first thing, thinking about it now I have only checked the level while it's been warm. If it turns out I have to shim the injectors I think I might as well do the o- rings as well, is there anything else you would recommend while I got that sucker opened up? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
RT

You said you already have new glow plugs. You might consider a new under valve cover harness as well. The pre-02 models had a tendency to back off the connection. Ford sells a wedge clip you can put in to prevent that, or you can just go ahead and replace them with the updated ones.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I checked the hpop level this morning and it was about 1/2" from the top so I believe its working properly. Yes I was considering getting new valve cover gaskets as well, I did notice some seepage coming from there.

Last edited by Manning33; Today at 08:11 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:46 AM
RT

The valve cover gaskets are pretty durable and reusable. Might just be some loose bolts. There is an under valve cover harness that is the problem. https://www.dieselorings.com/1999-20...r-harness.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in