Oil Drain Plug Washer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am finally back in civilization.
I just changed the oil on my 7.3 and used my last new copper washer.

I stopped at Ford to grab a few more and they are $8.72/each and I don’t recall where I bought my last bunch from.

What are you guys doing for an alternative? Switched to that PVC from AutoZone? Using aluminum? Ordering off Amazon?

P/N appreciated.

BTW, had a PM from Googs. He wanted me to pass along a hello to all his friends here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fumoto Valve.

It has been on my truck now for over 20 years and zero problems.

But if you still want the washers check out NAPA
meteor56 likes this.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM

My Photos: (180)
What bugman said. Get a Fumoto valve and don't turn back. You'll never need another overpriced washer from Ford. I've had my Fumoto for at least 16 years.

The only issue I've had is I needed to take my truck to two oil change places and they didn't understand how a Fumoto valve worked and buggered up the lever with a pair of pliers. Found that when I changed the oil after my 12,500 mile road trip to the lower 48. I'll need to dress that sharp spot up next time I crawl under.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
X3 on the Fumoto. How is Googs, really hope he is doing well.
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 AM
RT

Search "O.E. #F3DZ-6734A LOT OF 50 DP7409PK - Metal & Rubber Ford Washer Gasket 14mm" on eBay. You can get a bag of 25 for $14. I would love to have the Fumoto, but I have scrape marks on the bottom of my oil pan from driving around in the fields and I just don't see how that valve sticking straight down would survive.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM

My Photos: (1)
I bought a copper seal washer assortment from Amazon for about $10 and it included various metric dimensioned washers in sets of 10 that fit my trucks and my cars. $8.72 for a single copper washer not only beats Volvo, Benz, and BMW price for a drain seal, it also is more than John Deere charges for such things. I smell a FOrd dealer with matrix pricing scheme in play.

The copper washers I got all work fine and nothing they are used on leaks.

I bought a package of 25 of the 14mm ID aluminum washers for $6 shipped aa few years back from Ebay and those worked just fine until I used them up. I even used a 14mm spark plug seal unscrewed from an old spark plug once when I changed when I removed a wet plug and the seal was all kinds of mangled but I had no seals on hand. The spark plug seal sealed just fine.

I had a truck in with a Fumoto years back and it was struck, bent, and leaking and scared me away from those.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:10 AM

I ordered the washers RT referenced on his post. Also, I found a couple older threads on other sites that said the Fumoto valve threads extended farther up through the pan, allowing old oil to pool around the bottom of the pan, leaving built up gunk and deposits. 😳 Just what I read

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
While the valve does extend slightly up into the pan I have no problems using it. You don't get 100% of the oil out of the pan unless you pull the pan with any method. Also if you drive the vehicle to get the oil circulating enough most of the crud will be suspended in the oil itself and not sitting on the bottom of the pan.

As for damage to the valve, I have taken my truck into places that a full size diesel truck does not belong and I have had no problems. I even have a few scrapes and scratches on the bottom of my pan from driving over brush. But if you look at the location of the valve itself you may have bigger problems if you hit something that would damage it.

I have also never seen first hand of any problems with it as far as damage. It always comes from second or third hand sources. I am not saying that it can't happen but the odds of it are very slim and as I mentioned if you are hitting things that close to your pan you will end up with other problems no matter what you have there.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM

I'm with bugman on the possibility (or lack thereof) of damage to a Fumoto valve. On my truck it's located a full foot above the front pumpkin and maybe a foot behind the sway bar. When I do oil changes, I slide a 5 gallon bucket underneath (it just fits unless I have the camper on, in which case I need to jack it up a bit.) I would consider the possibility of damage extremely remote. It would have to be buried more than axle deep in mud. Like bugman said, you'd have more problems than just the Fumoto if that happened.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM
RT

That may be the difference - 2WD vs 4WD. I have no front pumpkin to catch boulders with and I couldn't slide a 5 gallon bucket under my truck unless I cut it in half first...

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM

LOL, I thought EVERYBODY who drove a truck had a 4x4.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
LOL, I thought EVERYBODY who drove a truck had a 4x4.
I just stay inside the day it snows once every ten years.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM

I go to the local Home Depot and grab a hand full of copper or brass washers. Both work great, never had a leak. I think it was 2 bucks for about 30. Not like its a special copper or anything. Lol.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Is there any reason not to use this one? I was planning on changing my oil today.

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...7_308842_13140

2002 F-250 PSD Super Cab Long Bed 3.73 LS... Stock!!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I go to the local Home Depot and grab a hand full of copper or brass washers. Both work great, never had a leak. I think it was 2 bucks for about 30. Not like its a special copper or anything. Lol.
Actually I think it is a special copper. It is more malleable than a copper washer from a hardware so it forms to the oil pan and then is work hardened as it is tightened down. Thats why they are probe to leak when used more than once.

I think better to go with a nylon type.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in