Is one 4R100 better than another? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is one 4R100 better than another?

I may be in the market for a new trans and have found several options. Just wondering if the high $$$ versions are worth the price for my application.

I've seen transmissions online for anywhere from $1899.00 to more than $8,000.00! I guess if you were drag racing or pulling competitions there may be a use for an $8,000 but how about us regular guys, I rarely pull over 10,000 lbs but I do go over the mountain passes. From things I've read these are 100,000 mile transmissions regardless of how they are modified or how you use them. If so why spend $4,000 of more on one? I got just over 100,000 on the last one and unless there is an option that will significantly improve upon that I might as well order this: https://www.bestbuytransmission.com/...FciCfgodRJQPVA

Anybody have an experience with a transmission or shop they would like to share?

'03 7.3L 4X4 F-350 4" turbo back exhaust, stage 2 afe intake, WWII, EBPV delete, PHP 6 position chip with stock, +25 tow, +60 tow, +80 daily driver, +120 race, and whisper mode. BD Performance transmission and TC with the 6.0 cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM

The 4r100 isn't a super complicated transmission.

With a better cooler, upgraded clutches, valve body mods, and a quality triple disk converter 200k is very achievable.

I had mine torn apart for a stripped forward drum( my fault, known to happen over 375hp) and the clutches looked brand new after 100k miles.

Then the single disk ford converter took a dump lol.

Do you have any good local shops?

If you do and they don't charge a fortune I'd say have them install raybestos GPZ clutches, good triple disk converter, and a sonnax sure cure kit. That will be a very good and reliable combo.

Or if you don't look into sam wyse. Cncfab is a dealer for him. His stage 1 is 3100 plus shipping. And it's rated for 450hp.

He upgrades the clutch counts, installs a hardened sunshell and a fully splined forward drum. Then the converter is a billet cover DPC triple disk.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another option you may want to look at is the HD4R100 from Ford. It has proven to be a pretty good trans option at 400HP and below. It also has a 3 year warranty that spans across the nation to all Ford dealerships.
StromHawk60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:40 AM

I've got a Dieselsite Legendary with billet shafts behind mine, rated for 650hp with current converter. 4th & hopefully last trans in it's lifetime (99 w/280k). I'm at about 400hp & it won't see much if any more. Overbuilt for my needs, but total peace of mind was worth 4 grand & change for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Another option you may want to look at is the HD4R100 from Ford. It has proven to be a pretty good trans option at 400HP and below. It also has a 3 year warranty that spans across the nation to all Ford dealerships.
I have a friend at the local ford dealer who recommended this trans. I doubt they would honor the warranty with everything I have done to my truck but it might be a viable option if it's a solid trans. It would certainly be the easiest route in terms of drop off and pick up vs swapping a tranny myself! Long term I am more concerned with peace of mind pulling the trailer than convenience.

'03 7.3L 4X4 F-350 4" turbo back exhaust, stage 2 afe intake, WWII, EBPV delete, PHP 6 position chip with stock, +25 tow, +60 tow, +80 daily driver, +120 race, and whisper mode. BD Performance transmission and TC with the 6.0 cooler.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBknob View Post
I've got a Dieselsite Legendary with billet shafts behind mine, rated for 650hp with current converter. 4th & hopefully last trans in it's lifetime (99 w/280k). I'm at about 400hp & it won't see much if any more. Overbuilt for my needs, but total peace of mind was worth 4 grand & change for me.
I was looking at this option as well. Sounds like a well built transmission. Would love to hear about anybody's experience with, or opinion of these!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 AM

My needs in a transmission are very similar to yours and I've thought long and hard on what I should do when the time comes...have it rebuilt or replaced etc. I am leaning towards Ford's HD 4R100 because of their 3 year warranty. I went down and talked with the local Ford service manager because I too was concerned with the mods I have they wouldn't warranty it. He said no problem...even with a chip I am running. If I was you I would talk with your Ford service manager and explain what mods you have and see what he says. 3 years warranty across the nation is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
I have a friend at the local ford dealer who recommended this trans. I doubt they would honor the warranty with everything I have done to my truck but it might be a viable option if it's a solid trans. It would certainly be the easiest route in terms of drop off and pick up vs swapping a tranny myself! Long term I am more concerned with peace of mind pulling the trailer than convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
My needs in a transmission are very similar to yours and I've thought long and hard on what I should do when the time comes...have it rebuilt or replaced etc. I am leaning towards Ford's HD 4R100 because of their 3 year warranty. I went down and talked with the local Ford service manager because I too was concerned with the mods I have they wouldn't warranty it. He said no problem...even with a chip I am running. If I was you I would talk with your Ford service manager and explain what mods you have and see what he says. 3 years warranty across the nation is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.

Griz
WHS

OP, you have pretty basic mods. As long as the tunes are decent quality, you should be just fine with the HD4R100 and it should live a good long life.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Is anybody familiar with Bullripper transmissions or the Transmission Exchange Co? I just found these guys and they are local, only about 30 minutes from me: Extreme Duty Tow Matrix Ford truck 4R100 Transmission (non-PTO style) 1999-2006

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:56 AM

If your research this topic you will find hundreds of posts. It is probably the most discussed topic on this site.
My 2 cents:
Go BTS or John Woods

If you are stock or have just basic mods, go Ford HD.

When I priced everything out, it made no sense to me to pay almost as much as BTS and not just bite the bullet and get the best.
How much is piece of mind worth to you?

I honestly think anything else is too much of a gamble.

FYI- I don't regret my decision at all.
Even my wife commented how the truck gets going so much faster now.
I went with the 6.0 cooler at the same time.

02 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 Lariat, 3.73 rears, DPTuner F5, WW2, IH UPs, Airdog+Frx, HPOilX, BanksMonster Exhaust, Centramatics, Gearvendor, Custom rear springs, [BTS!], 130k, Dieselsite 203, Eaton Truetrac. FYI- Blackout/2/3 all me! Can't get back into my original logins.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2 View Post
If your research this topic you will find hundreds of posts. It is probably the most discussed topic on this site.
My 2 cents:
Go BTS or John Woods

If you are stock or have just basic mods, go Ford HD.

When I priced everything out, it made no sense to me to pay almost as much as BTS and not just bite the bullet and get the best.
How much is piece of mind worth to you?

I honestly think anything else is too much of a gamble.

FYI- I don't regret my decision at all.
Even my wife commented how the truck gets going so much faster now.
I went with the 6.0 cooler at the same time.

The only reason I don't jump on the John Woods transmission is time. I have a camping trip planned for the middle of September that I don't want to miss. I am really trying to find a solid option that I can have done in the next 3 weeks. If there is a bullet I have to bite to order the John Woods it will be giving up on that trip. Right now my best option feels like the Diesel Site Legendary 4R100. Looks like a good trans and they are supposedly ready to ship. I think that with their billet torque converter would be just over $4,000 after shipping. Add the 6.0 cooler and it should last the lifetime of this truck. I only put 5,000 - 10,000 miles a year on it but I don't want to be broke down 500 miles from home!

Last edited by wood4heat; 08-15-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 AM

For what it's worth, I'm real happy with the Legendary. Dieselsite was great to work with, had the trans in 3 days & my core deposit returned in 2 days when the old one went back. So far it's working great, shifts as fast or faster than the 5R in my 6.0 truck, picked up some MPG, & the van is noticeably faster now. It's only been in for about 11 months but it's a daily driver & has done several road trips over the rockies from one end of CO to the other w/o issue. I also picked up a Tru-cool cooler ($125) from them but haven't installed it yet as the trans has yet to exceed 165 even in summer heat pulling big grades. If their transmissions are as good as the rest of their products it'll last a long time, & I liked the fact that every one gets run thru its paces on a trans dyno before it goes out the door.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
The only reason I don't jump on the John Woods transmission is time. I have a camping trip planned for the middle of September that I don't want to miss. I am really trying to find a solid option that I can have done in the next 3 weeks. If there is a bullet I have to bite to order the John Woods it will be giving up on that trip. Right now my best option feels like the Diesel Site Legendary 4R100. Looks like a good trans and they are supposedly ready to ship. I think that with their billet torque converter would be just over $4,000 after shipping. Add the 6.0 cooler and it should last the lifetime of this truck. I only put 5,000 - 10,000 miles a year on it but I don't want to be broke down 500 miles from home!
I almost went that way as I am very impressed with everything they engineer. It came down to I just wanted piece of mind and went with the tried and true option.

I think they have gotten through their initial hurdles with this product and would be a great option.

02 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 Lariat, 3.73 rears, DPTuner F5, WW2, IH UPs, Airdog+Frx, HPOilX, BanksMonster Exhaust, Centramatics, Gearvendor, Custom rear springs, [BTS!], 130k, Dieselsite 203, Eaton Truetrac. FYI- Blackout/2/3 all me! Can't get back into my original logins.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

What's the word on BD transmissions out of Canada? I have a local place here that can get on installed in a week but I can't find a lot of info on them. Specifically how would they compare to the 4R100HD as those seem to be my local options. The BD trans would cost about $1500 more but he does the 6.0 cooler on all of his trans installs.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM

BD makes good stuff.

I'm sure it's leaps and bounds better than the ford trans

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in