p1316 dtc - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p1316 dtc

2003 Ford F-250 7.3 liter faulting dtc p1316 but the engine is running fine I clear the code and it comes back as soon as I start the truck any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
4" exhaust with 5" magnaflow tip
Hypertech power programer III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 PM

P1316 Injector Circuit / IDM Codes Detected, run a buzz test to get the IDM codes.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, ran the buzz test and code p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 any ideas where to go now

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed

Last edited by larry-56; 02-11-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Replace the Under Valve Cover Harness on the passenger side. Could be external to the valve cover, but the UVCH issues are common. You're likely just running on 7 cylinders.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

klhanson, thanks for the reply. So just one question the engine runs really smooth no noticeable miss is that possible on 7 cylinders thanks for your help this thing is driving me crazy
Larry

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry-56 View Post
klhanson, thanks for the reply. So just one question the engine runs really smooth no noticeable miss is that possible on 7 cylinders thanks for your help this thing is driving me crazy

Larry

As Klhanson said Check the harness under the valve cover either has come loose a bit or is needing replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Iím going to check the under valve cover harness tomorrow.

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Iím going to check the under valve cover harness tomorrow.
The "hansen" feller knows. Good luck, I'm betting you'll find your issue.
By the way, greetings from a fellow 7.3 owner ~100 miles up I-81.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205į t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, Hutched & Harpooned, EGT & Boost gauge. Fuel Mavericks with 285/18, 86k miles(Jan-2017) Bought brand new April 2001.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM

These engines will run fairly smoothly with a dead miss on one cylinder. They'll also run on just one bank of cylinders at idle, but that would be noticeably down on power.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I replaced the uvch today cleared the codes started the engine and the code p1316 came back ran the buzz test faulted p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 same as before. Could it be the IDM?
Thanks fo any help Larry

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Ok so I replaced the uvch today cleared the codes started the engine and the code p1316 came back ran the buzz test faulted p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 same as before. Could it be the IDM?

Thanks fo any help Larry

Hi did the truck run better or the same. I would move that injector to cylinder 5 and put five in 7 and retest if it fallows the injector its the injector if it does not then I look at the idm. You could also check resistance with a multimeter on the injector coil on the other injector coils and compare to 7 be for you swap them.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000F250-7.3 View Post
Hi did the truck run better or the same. I would move that injector to cylinder 5 and put five in 7 and retest if it fallows the injector its the injector if it does not then I look at the idm. You could also check resistance with a multimeter on the injector coil on the other injector coils and compare to 7 be for you swap them.
I agree completely. First check the resistance across each injector. Should be around 2-5 ohms, IIRC. You can do that from outside the VC. The pin to Injector 7 will be two pins back from the center pin on the connector. The center pin is common, and the location to each injector corresponds with it's position on the engine.

Solenoid coils don't go out that frequently, but it happens. If you find that #7 solenoid coil bad, you can just swap the solenoid with a core injector or order a coil from an injector rebuilder. No real need to pull the whole injector.

Also check where the harness runs across the driver's side valve cover for chafing. That's easily fixed with some electrical tape.

Another thing to do before condemning the IDM (assuming you find everything OK at the injectors and valve covers) is to run a continuity check between the valve cover connectors back to the IDM. The open circuit can be anywhere between the two. IDMs don't go bad that often.

The pins at the valve cover gasket where the wiring connects can also be corroded.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 02-13-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replyís. The truck ran about the same but I do have a little miss at cold start not plugged in but after it warms up it runs fine itís been doing that for a while with no check engine light. I checked the resistance and all were 3.3 ohms
I will check the wiring on the drivers side valve cover for chafing. I had an issue with chafing wires on the valve cover about 10 years ago and it affected all 4 cylinders on drivers side taped the wires and put some insulation around the wires and no issues since.
There is no corrosion on the plug or valve cover pins but I cleaned those with some electrical cleaner just to be safe side. I will also check the wiring from the IDM to the valve cover

Thanks Larry

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,
Iím still trying to figure out what is going on with this truck. So this morning I checked all the wires on the drivers side harness above and the valve cover no chafing that I could see.
So yesterday afternoon I checked the codes again and got new code p0475 and still had the p1316. Ive had the ebpv unplugged for years with no check engine light so i thought I would plug it back up and maybe the p0475 would go away but it did not but the p1316 did wit it unplugged I get both, plugged up i just get the p0475. Iím really confused now it doesnít make any sense to me.

Thanks Larry

2003 f250 super duty 7.3
supercab long bed
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:07 PM

That's strange. The EBPV circuits should have no affect on the injector circuits. You might have a short between circuits somewhere. Probably going to be real hard to find.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in