The Diesel Stop banner

pcm wires eaten by rodent

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bobofthenorth 
#1 · (Edited)
My trucks fine but during an inspection I found that a rodent ate threw three wires which go to the PCM. Im having a hard time matching these up to what I find for wire color charts. Can anyone tell me what these are for and how important it is that I repair? Its going to be a really tough job to do.

attached is a photo but as far as I can tell they are one is as I shot it and one is with some saturation added.
violet/pink
Red/Green
Green/Red (EDIT: Green/Yellow)

Note: Im assuming its the PCM.. its the connection that is attached to the firewall that has a single 10mm bolt. I think that is where I installed my Hydra tuner

My f250 is a 99 manufactured in 7/99

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of the connectors have a single 10mm bolt. The PCM connector is the one that's rectangular with the long side vertical.

The attached PCM pinout should help you figure it out.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Assuming this chart is correct for early 99..

Looks like it chewed through:

Glow plug controller output

Brake pedal position switch

Digital transmission range sensor

Guess I will research these and see why my truck SEEMS to be working normally. According to this chart it doesnt say my e99 doesnt use the Glow plug controller output.

Edit: I dont see how my truck could be shifiting correctly.

If anyone can clarify these Id appreciate it before I spend hours trying to splice these. 2 of these have 1" of cable hanging out the pcm connector.

#4 · (Edited)
Ran a scan.. glow plug and trans error. However the brake lights work.

This is gonna be a hell of a job. Bought some cool splicers that have solder in the middle.. low temp solder you heat with hot air. Hope they dont melt from heat in engine bay. Luckily I have a surface component hot air solder tool.

Going to buy anti rodent tape.. not gonna risk this happening again.

#5 ·
Get a old pair of your wife's nylons and put some moth balls into them and lay them around the harness.

#6 ·
Well nearly 5 hours later and I was able to use the hot air solder splicers to get the job done. It was a real pain. Ran a scan and glow plug error is gone. There are 3 brake sensors and all three work including pressure. I dont know if the transmission one works because I cant move my truck at the moment.

While I was out there I saw a squirrel running around with a baby in its mouth. I was trying to feel sympathetic but failed to do so.

#7 ·
Must be some big squirrels there. Shame on whoever left that baby unattended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.