Proof that the CPS is a finicky item - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonWarkentin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Proof that the CPS is a finicky item

Had my first CPS issue yesterday. The truck is a 2001, 90,800 miles and the recall for the CPS was done whenever that was way back when.
I have NEVER had a single issue with the truck until yesterday while traveling on the interstate with the cruise set at 73mph. The truck started missing and shaking with no warning so I pulled off an exit where it died. Graveyard dead! I tried restarting but it sounded like a no fuel issue and wouldnt start.

Opened the hood and saw nothing obvious so I crawled under the truck and unplugged the CPS to give it a look (looked fine) plugged it back up and the truck started as if nothing happened. Ran like a brand new one the remaining 120 miles home.

I'll replace it and thankful for the good information on this site that provides insight for things like this and where to look. Still a very weird and disconcerting behavior from the CPS.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205 t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, Hutched & Harpooned, EGT & Boost gauge. Fuel Mavericks with 285/18, 86k miles(Jan-2017) Bought brand new April 2001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

And - just to add to the confusion - it may not have been that at all. If your IPR electromagnet is getting weak, it may have "lost its grip" momentarily and then "regained it" when it cooled down a bit while you were playing with the CPS wiring. If it happens again, might want to pour a little cold water over the IPR solenoid and then try starting it again.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
And - just to add to the confusion - it may not have been that at all. If your IPR electromagnet is getting weak, it may have "lost its grip" momentarily and then "regained it" when it cooled down a bit while you were playing with the CPS wiring. If it happens again, might want to pour a little cold water over the IPR solenoid and then try starting it again.
Thanks for the info RT, I did reach down and push on the connection to the IPR. I sure hope that wasnt it.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205 t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, Hutched & Harpooned, EGT & Boost gauge. Fuel Mavericks with 285/18, 86k miles(Jan-2017) Bought brand new April 2001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Like RT said it is not the connection on the IPR that is bad, it's the magnet on the solenoid that gets weak. I had a similar issue that ended up being a bad IPR. But like you I had switched out the CPS first and the truck started and ran fine for a while, until the IPR got hot again and caused it to stall again. The cool water on the IPR trick really does work, but is a temporary fix.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Good information gentlemen. I better change that sucker.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM
RT

I wouldn't just change it - wait until it stalls and do the test. There are a million and one things that can cause a stall and you'll go broke before we change all the parts.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Here's my CPS story, more proof that CPS is a finicky item.

Soon after I bought my truck, I was driving my truck 80mph on a California freeway in the fast lane, four lanes in each direction, extremely heavy traffic. Suddenly, with absolutely no warning, the engine instantly dies. Miraculously, I made it across four lanes of heavy traffic to get to the right hand side of the road and stopped with no engine running, no power steering, and no power to the brakes. The engine wouldn't restart, however, after about 15 minutes, I got it to restart and I am able to drive it home. This was before the CPS recall. Then the exact same thing happened again a second time.

I was able to find this forum and find out what was the problem. I went to the Ford dealer and bought a new CPS, installed it, and it has never done it again.
aclasshog likes this.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:32 PM

You’re absolutely right Don about this site being helpful.
So in reading the OP and following RT’s advice it prompted me to read about function, troubleshooting and replacement of ICP sensor and IPR.
The replacement of IPR says to remove fuel filter housing/fuel bowl — so how hard is it to see and get to the IPR solenoid to pour cool water over it? I guess I’m gonna have to get up on top of the engine and try to put my eyes on both for future reference.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Its easy to see the IPR and be able to pour water on it. I replaced mine without removing the fuel bowl. It helps to have a extra deep socket on a swivel head ratchet for replacement , but I did mine with an open end wrench on an angle.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in