Rattle/grinding under my feet.. I think? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rattle/grinding under my feet.. I think?

I have an 02 7.3 with just over 250k on it. For the past month or so I've been hearing some rattling or grinding coming from either the front and or somewhere in between. I dont hear it at idle and I dont hear it above 20 mph. As soon as I start coasting below 20 it becomes real prominent till I come to a stop. I have no clue what it is. Hubs are new breaks and all components are newish, fluid level is good... I was told it could be the flex plate, but i assume then I would hear it at idle as well? Please help I really need to get it fixed or at least diagnosed. Thanks guys. If you guys or anyone you know is around the Loveland / fort Collins area and could help out that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Doesn’t a faulty flexplate usually make the most noise when the starter is engaged?

Does it happen in both 2WD and 4WD?

Does it continue the same if you tap your brakes while it is occurring?

Not looking at the flexplate, you could jack up the front end and set jackstands for safety and then rotate the front tires by hand while listening for noise and feeling for rough spots while spinning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 AM

It could be a cracked flexplate or its completely stripped around the mount bolts

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM

How old are those new hubs. If they weren't from ford, I'd guess your new hubs failed.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

4wd works
The hubs are warn hubs and less than a month old.
I dont hear any noise at idle or start up, just when I coast or cruise below 20 mph.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxn194 View Post
4wd works
The hubs are warn hubs and less than a month old.
I dont hear any noise at idle or start up, just when I coast or cruise below 20 mph.
And you hear the noise in both 2WD and 4WD and when the hubs are locked and unlocked in 2WD ?

Noise always the same?

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 PM

U Joint?

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 PM

Front wheel bearing assembly...?
Jack it up and feel for bearing noise/play. Had to replace mine on my dually at 250k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F350 DRW, Super-Cab, 4WD, ESOF, SB, Lariat LE, 7.3L DI PSD, 4R100, 4.10, 210k miles, Hypertech Tuner, Fender Flares Steps and Spoiler Pkg, Sun Visor.
New CPS and rear speed sensor @130K. Original Tranny!?

72 F250 390 PS, Front discs, 350K mi, New motor @ 300k, original C-6 Tranny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 PM

I had a similar noise once, seemed like it was right under my left foot. So I concentrated my efforts to find it in the front. After finding nothing I checked my rear differential and I had a very bad axel carrier bearing. This is what I would do

1. Check your starter attachment bolts, they can come loose and make similar low speed noise.

2. Lock your hubs in, if the noise goes away your hub spindle bearings are bad, they are replaceable.

3. With the hubs unlocked jack one side up at a time and hand roll it, if you can feel ANY bearing roughness it is very bad, but just because you can't feel it doesn't mean there are no bearing element defects.

4. Check flex plated condition and connection

5. Service your rear differential, if you have silver fish scale looking shavings in the differential you have a bearing going bad, if you have both silver and dark debris you have a opinion, carrier and or wheel bearing that has failed.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in