Resurrect old topic...Diesel Fuel additives - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Resurrect old topic...Diesel Fuel additives

It seems several years ago I was taken to task for for asking about diesel fuel additives...
I did NOT go back to search what was said then....
Because I kept on doing what I've been doing for the last 13 yrs [?], since they
went to Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel....
That's all I can remember is that one of the respondents pulled some information
from some research done in ""SOUTH AFRICA" to prove that putting
Walmart's 2 cycle oil [TC-W3] in your fuel tank is detrimental to the engine...
Well, here is some research PROVING that it is beneficial,
Maybe NOT the best...BUT still good...
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTech...itive_test.pdf

XS_SUV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

You resurrected an old study as well. A quick search shows that study was first shared on the forum in May of 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyjay View Post
[ QUOTE ]
I`m surprised that nobody tried to evaluate the real lubricating effect of all those additive when mixed with the fuel. I think that we will only get answers by lab tests. We could even check with 2 stroke oil added or with atf fluid. That would be interesting to get real numbers. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone beat you to it, Look at Lubricity/Additive Study Porposal that Spicer is putting together over on the Diesel Place:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...42#post1755942

Lab is picked out, not sure of the list that they are going to test but he has signed up several additive makers to sponsor the cost of testing their own product, others being tested using contribution money. Uniform fuel, products bought OTS, blind independent lab using HFRR standard test. Check out that thread or the sticky thread for details.
I've probably linked to it a half dozen times myself.

Still, it's a good read and the reason most all of us use 2 stroke oil.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:11 AM

When I fill up I add 10% ULS diesel fuel to my tank. I've found it improves my fuel mileage about 10%.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:18 AM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
When I fill up I add 10% ULS diesel fuel to my tank. I've found it improves my fuel mileage about 10%.
The only problem with that is being in a area where you can find ULS diesel fuel, dyed or not.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
The only problem with that is being in a area where you can find ULS diesel fuel, dyed or not.
OK, you guys have me going for my stronger reading glasses.

ULS Diesel is the same thing as ULSD.

It is the only diesel commercially available anywhere in the US. I don’t know of any refiners (distillers) that have not switched over to producing only ULSD except a small production unit here in Prudhoe Bay.

Dyed vs Undyed is the same base fuel. One has red dye added to designate it has not been taxed for on-highway use.

What am I missing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 10:06 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
What am I missing?

Only that 444-4D has the dryest wit east of the Pecos River. He's saying if you add 10% more fuel to your fuel tank, you'll see a 10% increase in your fuel is where he's going with that. He's a riot. Translated into English, he's saying you're wasting your time adding additives.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 10:22 AM

He’s not the only one confused—- I read the report that wm 2 cycle oil was detrimental as well and then this one showing an improvement- #7 on the list. Obviously one of the reports are skewed. Is there more research / testing currently being done. How reliable is the Lab / Spicer Report?

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8’ Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:55 AM
RT

Could you link the one showing it was detrimental? Can’t imagine how it could be. The Spicer study looks at one factor only- scar formation on the test ball. In that respect, it appears to be 100% accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok, So I dug back and found the old posting saying TC-W3 2 cycle oil isn't good..
Mind you...this study is out of South Africa.
========================================
NYB

Why do you guys use "2 stroke" oil for injector lubrication?

Why not 4 stroke oil, or transmission oil, or mineral oil, or canola oil, or Oil of Olay?

What specifically is it about 2 stroke oil that appeals to you for your homemade fuel lubricity "additive"?

Obviously I'm being facetious about the other oil alternatives I mentioned above, but in all seriousness, if injector life is the principle concern, and if you do not trust the lubricity of pump diesel... why not use a lubricity additive formulated for the purpose?

All the forum posts in the world about what people put in their tanks, and how long their injectors lasted as a result... amounts to dubious anecdotal speculation. Outside of a laboratory controlled comparative environment, using some semblance of scientific method, it is not possible to determine what benefit, or detriment, that adding 2 cycle oil to the fuel does to increase or curtail injector life.

An energy company in South Africa decided to put 2 cycle oil laced fuel to a test in a laboratory environment, just to try and apply some measurable data and science to all the anecdotal feel good claims that people make. The link to this report is below, but here is a summary of a few key points:

The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements.
Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were unchanged.
Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling.
The study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil.
The use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment.
Based on the results of the study, the following conclusions are drawn:

At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel lubricity.
At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel cetane number.
No measurable effect on all other regulated diesel properties was measured at a 200:1 dose of 2-stroke oil in diesel.
2-stroke oil can contain around 16ppm zinc, or higher depending on the formulation and batch.
Trace amounts of zinc in diesel are known to rapidly accelerate injector nozzle deposits.
Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.
Vehicles fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system could experience reduced DPF life due to the collection of ash and metal based contaminants in the filter over time with the continued use of 2-stroke oil.
And here is the link to the full study:
http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke...ical-study.php

XS_SUV
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 PM
RT

If you look at figure 2 in that study, there is a significant improvement in lubricity in European grade diesel when 2 stroke oil is added. That is not reflected in the South African diesel. That leads me to believe that there are different additives in different fuels. For all we know, the South African fuel is already dosed with something similar to 2 stroke oil when they buy it so adding a bit more doesn't help, whereas the European fuel is dosed with a different type additive so the 2 stroke oil acts synergistically. As to the fouling, while anecdotal evidence with an n of 1 is not reliable, there are thousands and thousands of us using 2 stroke oil in American diesel and I have yet to see or hear of one person reporting injector tip fouling as a result.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:41 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didn't read the study from South Africa but when I was over there in 2015 they were still running high sulfur diesel and had no idea what ULS diesel was when I talked to those running diesel trucks.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
What am I missing?

Only that 444-4D has the dryest wit east of the Pecos River. He's saying if you add 10% more fuel to your fuel tank, you'll see a 10% increase in your fuel is where he's going with that. He's a riot. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/TheDieselStop_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG] Translated into English, he's saying you're wasting your time adding additives.
I am chuckling non stop.
It went right by me.
In my defense, I had just finished a 12-hour night shift.

That was some good humor.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 08-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I didn't read the study from South Africa but when I was over there in 2015 they were still running high sulfur diesel and had no idea what ULS diesel was when I talked to those running diesel trucks.
Absolutely, ULSD has not reached many 3rd World countries, There has been more than one diesel owner that found that out the hard way going down to Baja in the past but I think PEMEX has finally mage good on their promise to supply Baja with ULSD...just about 6 years longer than what they promised.

Mañana....

SOLD:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 PM

If I'm paying, it's optilube, HSS, or full torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in