Reviving a rolled 7.3 to start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reviving a rolled 7.3 to start

I bought a rolled 03 F350 CC with a 7.3 for the axles. I assume the engine was running at the time it went upside down. The entire front clip is in great condition, indicating there is no impact damage to the motor compartment. All the oil leaked out (I assume from the period it spent upside down). The truck has been sitting for at least 4 months. The wrecker damaged the fuel tank so it is not usable. I added oil and cranked the motor briefly, which did spin fine. I'm reluctant to crank it more with out some input from you guys.

Can I gravity feed the fuel system with an elevated can to get the motor to start? or does the system have to have all the pressure from the in tank pump to start?

What else should I look for before trying to start it.

Thanks in advance

2002 7.3 psd stretch window van, 140K Dp tuner F5 7 tunes, 4" turbo back, Wrapped exhaust, bellowed up pipes, Bilstein Hd's, RiffRaff RFX, HPX & CVC & AIH delete, 235/85/16 Michelins, Hid's, Auto-meter tranny temp, boost and pyro gauges, Mag-Hytec deep trans pan, towing mirrors, dynamat doors, Alpine 1000w blaster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I found building 5 mast sail boats inside a mini bottle wasn't challenging enough, so I bought a powerstroke van!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 F350 DRW CC long bed 6.7 stroker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Electric fuel pump is located inside the frame rail, below drivers front door, clipped to the brake lines. When I was working out my Hutch Mod issue I attached fuel line to suction side of pump and dropped into a bucket of diesel fuel to run.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8í Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 PM

My Photos: (8)
Are you sure ALL the oil leaked out?? If so you have 4 gallons of oil sitting in the intake/turbo/ intercooler. How much did you add?? I would pull the intercooler hoses and make sure they are not full of oil. Oil/fuel/water in a cylinder can cause a engine to hydrolock and do a lot of damage. If it turns fine by hand then you should be fine if you have any issues pull the glow plugs and spin it over to blow out any fluid. I would replace fuel filter, check HPOP oil level and do as Big Horn said.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:37 PM

ICBW but I think you need some fuel pressure on the injectors - I know you do on the 6.0 litre and I assume the 7.3 is similar. I'm talking more pressure than you'd get from simply elevating a tank - like around 50 psi. You can buy a basic 12V inline fuel pump that will deliver that pressure for not a lot. Mine is so old I can't remember what I paid for it but maybe $30 or $40.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all, that is the kind of info I was hoping for. I did add 14 quarts of oil. It does turnover, the intercooler check is a good idea. and the fuel supply tips are great, hopefully this weekend I can get to run.

2002 7.3 psd stretch window van, 140K Dp tuner F5 7 tunes, 4" turbo back, Wrapped exhaust, bellowed up pipes, Bilstein Hd's, RiffRaff RFX, HPX & CVC & AIH delete, 235/85/16 Michelins, Hid's, Auto-meter tranny temp, boost and pyro gauges, Mag-Hytec deep trans pan, towing mirrors, dynamat doors, Alpine 1000w blaster
I found building 5 mast sail boats inside a mini bottle wasn't challenging enough, so I bought a powerstroke van!

2016 F350 DRW CC long bed 6.7 stroker.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Make sure you reset the role over cut off switch in the panel under the glove box. Wont start if it rolled over unless its pushed back in. In fact, your fuel pump will probably work again if its reset.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:46 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Make sure you reset the role over cut off switch in the panel under the glove box. Wont start if it rolled over unless its pushed back in. In fact, your fuel pump will probably work again if its reset.
Good advise.
It's actually an inertial cutoff switch that activated on an impact, but a rollover (unless very gentle) would do it.
But definitely check the switch (located above the passenger side kick panel just in front of the door pillar). There's a hole where you can stick your finger in and push the button on the top of the switch to reset it.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in