Rotella Motor Oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rotella Motor Oil

I’m going to buy a 5 gallon pail of Rotella. I looked at posts and saw “Rotella T” as being popular among the group.

Tractor supply has an online offer - 5 gallons of Rotella T4 for $59.99...... is this the same thing? I see there are a few variations of T(#) oils.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 AM

T4 is dino, t6 is synthetic.
Oreilly has a sale on Chevron delo synthetic. Also a rebate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Is anyone using the Harvest King motor oil sold at Rural King? On a search (another site) a thread came up that the user called Blacstone and talked to a tech who said the Harvest King was as good as any other diesel oil if scheduled maintenance (oil changes) is performed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37159516-65C4-46A6-872B-39E4719884F1_1538488690839.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	125590  

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Not sure what the other brands of oil cost cause I only use Rotella T6 (synthetic). They're offering a mail in rebate until the end of the year, $7/gallon, $35/5 gallon pail. I think I've got 4 oil changes worth in my garage already, LOL! Look for it on sale too. Often is.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEdwards View Post
Not sure what the other brands of oil cost cause I only use Rotella T6 (synthetic). They're offering a mail in rebate until the end of the year, $7/gallon, $35/5 gallon pail. I think I've got 4 oil changes worth in my garage already, LOL! Look for it on sale too. Often is.
How often are you changing your synthetic? I was considering synthetic where I would just change my oil, oil filter, fuel filter every 10K. Is anyone else doing this.
My truck is pretty pampered, no heavy towing yet, not running up many miles.
How important is the “date of oil change” because right now I have exceeded the date of sticker (oil change) but still have 1800 miles or so left before reaching max mileage.

The P.O. had the oil changed before I bought the truck in June 18 - sticker says Chevron products but doesn’t list actual oil but is hand written that it was 10w30?
Oneof6 likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
Is anyone using the Harvest King motor oil sold at Rural King? On a search (another site) a thread came up that the user called Blacstone and talked to a tech who said the Harvest King was as good as any other diesel oil if scheduled maintenance (oil changes) is performed.
Not sure about the oil but it is listed on Ford's approved WSS-M2C171-F1 diesel oil list.

Y2K,F-250 Lariat, PSD,Auto 4X2, NVK4, S.Cab,White, Banks T.O.P. and Muffler, Isspro Gauges, TTM, Sonnax & Tricumulator, Rancho 9000s, AIC, Silverstar Bulbs,SUVLIGHTS Harness,Homebrew "Britebox",Homebrew LED "Strobes", N-fab nerf steps,

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:58 PM

I have always gone 7500 to 10,000 with all my vehicles. '98 Camry, '97 pathfinder, 2000 7.3, with synthetics but after moving to the lower desert I'm going 5000. A big diesel shop here in Phoenix recently posted a 720,000 mile 7.3 coming in for general maintenance with original engine. He does oil every 5000 and fuel filter every 10,000.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:01 PM

Oil The Reality

At the risk of starting an oil war let me start by writing that I recognize that oil selection loyalty is common and feelings run strong. Here is the reality, it is much more about branding than about the actual oil itself. For instance Refiners like Shell and Chevron make great oils, but they, or others with license, often package that same oil in other brandings. Regardless of branding the oil is made to an API specification and it will have an API spec on the container. I use Rotella T, now T4 because it's good oil and available almost anywhere. Rated API Spec out to the latest spec which includes all the previous specs. So, just get an oil that meets or exceeds the API spec recommendation for your engine. Just look right there on the container for it. Regardless of where you buy it if it meets the API spec you are good to go and chances are it actually originated from the same refiner.
MrTommy likes this.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
At the risk of starting an oil war let me start by writing that I recognize that oil selection loyalty is common and feelings run strong. Here is the reality, it is much more about branding than about the actual oil itself. For instance Refiners like Shell and Chevron make great oils, but they, or others with license, often package that same oil in other brandings. Regardless of branding the oil is made to an API specification and it will have an API spec on the container. I use Rotella T, now T4 because it's good oil and available almost anywhere. Rated API Spec out to the latest spec which includes all the previous specs. So, just get an oil that meets or exceeds the API spec recommendation for your engine. Just look right there on the container for it. Regardless of where you buy it if it meets the API spec you are good to go and chances are it actually originated from the same refiner.
I did not realize my Delvac was made by the same refiner as my Shell Rotella and Chevron DELO but even if it were, you omitted the fact that quality oil is largely dependent on the choice of base stocks and proprietary additive packages. It is my understanding that the Blending & Filling facility is where the various brands might have common origins but each went through at a different time than its competitors to achieve its desired properties.

A blind VOA will typically be unique enough for a tribologist to identify the brand & type.

I am not saying one is necessarily superior to another and I am not defending any particular brand loyalty, but they are not all the same with only a different color container.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 10-02-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Quote:
I did not realize my Delvac was made by the same refiner as my Shell Rotella and Chevron DELO but even if it were, you omitted the fact that quality oil is largely dependent on base stocks and additive package.

A blind VOA will typically be unique enough for a tribologist to identify the brand & type.

I am not saying one is necessarily superior to another and I am not defending any particular brand loyalty, but they are not all the same with only a different color container.
Members on my other posts have commented on oil preference as well - I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and my intention is not to stir the pot, but with so many options it makes a decision difficult especially for someone like me that has never had an allegiance to one brand or another (though I normally buy name brands and USA made when and where possible)

I did send off for a kit from Blackstone— so that no matter what brand I do choose I can get feedback that it is doing what it’s supposed to. I’m leaning towards Rotella or Mobil- I think 🤔
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Big Horn,

Motor oil is like beer...they are not all the same.

Try a few out and see which one your engine likes best.

There is really no wrong product as long as its rated for diesel or “C” (commercial) and in the recommended viscosities but there are better and worse.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM

API Spec it's a good thing

Well that's fun, marketing is a strong influence on preferences. There are way more brands than there are refineries to make the oil. From Ace Hardware to Ford everyone seems to have a "Brand" an anecdotal reputation and a committed customer following. Many, like Ford, have their own spec # but it backs into and uses as a base the API spec. API has specs and grades for oils that manufactures brand. Manufacturers meet or exceed that spec and all use that API relationship as a baseline for quality.

So think of it along this path. I really like MY oil because it comes it a neat bottle and its purple, or green, or has a high tech sounding name or has a gimmick sales approach but WOULD I really actually buy it if on the back it was written "Does Not Meet API Specifications" for your engine?

It's not magic Pixie juice, it's an Engineered product. Use those man/years to your advantage and check and rely more on API Engineered specifications than brand marketing.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Well that's fun, marketing is a strong influence on preferences. There are way more brands than there are refineries to make the oil. From Ace Hardware to Ford everyone seems to have a "Brand" an anecdotal reputation and a committed customer following. Many, like Ford, have their own spec # but it backs into and uses as a base the API spec. API has specs and grades for oils that manufactures brand. Manufacturers meet or exceed that spec and all use that API relationship as a baseline for quality.

So think of it along this path. I really like MY oil because it comes it a neat bottle and its purple, or green, or has a high tech sounding name or has a gimmick sales approach but WOULD I really actually buy it if on the back it was written "Does Not Meet API Specifications" for your engine?

It's not magic Pixie juice, it's an Engineered product. Use those man/years to your advantage and check and rely more on API Engineered specifications than brand marketing.
I don’t have any experience with Pixie juice so I will defer to your wisdom & man-years on that...Lol

Meanwhile, saying that all oils are alike is akin to saying all batteries are alike because the majority are made by Johnson Control.

Its an oversimplification that simply is not true.

Here is a link to the Petroleum Quality Institute of America. Its full of Engineers that have spent their man-years researching petroleum products in the marketplace thinking there were differences between those products...they will no doubt be grateful to you for saving them any further wasted effort in their endeavors.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

SOLD:
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:52 PM

No where did I write that "all oils are alike", in a rush to prove me wrong in some way you must have imagined it, only that the appropriate API spec oil is the base used for judgment, for instance current CK-4 API spec right on the container for consumers to easily see, AND, that some oils by manufacturers are rebranded, same oil in a different brand container. As long as it meets the CK-4 API Spec which includes the previous "C + Ascending Alphabet Number (s) it meets the specification for that particular oil use oil regardless of the branding, and that's just a fact.

So, I would use AND RECOMMEND JUST LIKE API DOES any oil with that API current CK-4 Walmart Brand, Tractor Supply brand, Rotella T-4 and others even Delvac.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

So just about when I think I’ve made a decision, somebody comes along and throws a fly in the ointment, Lol ! My supervisor who has a diesel (6.0) is telling me if I go to Rotella T6 synthetic I can never go back to Dino oil on my 7.3
I found old topics here dating back to 2005 saying it won’t hurt anything- ? And others saying on other sites it caused their engines to spin bearings, cause engine oil consumption, etc. Is there anything I should be concerned with? I trust this site as long as nothing has changed (?) over the past thirteen years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in