The Diesel Stop banner

Stalled and no start

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
My GPR was not working so I swapped it with a NAPA GPR109. GPR still didn't work but that's not my issue but might be connected so I mention it. After changing GPR, I start truck with the normal smoke since no glow plug, back out of the garage and the truck stalls. It spins but won't start. No smoke out of the tail pipe. Found fuse 114 burnt so I changed it, still nothing. Still no start. Pushed it back into the garage with the tractor.

Ordered a OBDlink mx + from amazon but won't have it to next friday. Anything I can look at now before I get the scanner? I guess that was my Friday 13th experience!

#2 ·
Maybe Ohm test your GPs and volt test your new NAPA GPR?

Not sure your overnight temps but you could try plugging in the block heater to cheat the cold.

Was it running good once it warmed up a little?

#3 ·
MY 2002 Owners Manual shows Fuse #114 (30A Maxi): Right-Hand Power Seat.

#4 ·
Truck in in garage. I didn't know I had a GPR problem until I had the quad in the garage and left the truck outside. It started but made smoke. It is now inside. The computer is not commanding the new GPR. I am thinking that I disturbed something when I changed it that made this new problem. Will worry about the GPR once I fix this issue. Might try my spare PCM if no other ideas.

#5 ·
If your glow plugs were the issue, you'd be pouring white smoke. Especially in cold weather. How many miles on the injectors? Worn injector poppets would cause this. So would anything keeping the truck from meeting the minimum requirements to fire the injectors. Cranking speed at 100RPM+, high-pressure oil pressure at 500psi+, etc.

Always check your CPS. Check your IPR valve tin nut. Try cranking with the ICP sensor disconnected. Good batteries fully charged. Oil level. Fuel level. All the basics. Check out the attached sheet.

View attachment coldstart.pdf

#6 ·
RT, You’ve always got neat stuff! I’m going to copy for future reference, and Kevin’s attachment for “checking the glow plugs”

#7 ·
Yes it has been smoking when trying to start when the glow plugs were not working. It was running for 30 seconds and stalled like I turned off the key. Will not fire now. And no more white smoke like it used to do so it is not getting fuel. All the basics sound good except our insurance company mandated a imobilizer 10 years ago so that adds an extra concern or something to go wrong. It was running and working fine before I changed out the GPR. I should have ordered a code reader a long time ago............I will keep everyone updated, just have to have time to look at it.

#8 ·
Pulled codes with my old OTC reader i dont like using it but thats another story. anyways i have 1690,380, 230, 1662, 640.

#9 ·
So cleared codes and reread. Now I have a 603 -Open PCM pin, disconnect B+, faulty PCM - and 380- glow plug- . I am thinking PCM

#10 ·
OK PCM changed and it runs. Can smell the burnt electronics in the old one. I am nervous to hook up the GPR again. I currently have the wire to it disconnected and wrapped in electrical tape. Like I said it drove twenty feet last time then died. Possible that I shorted the wire to +12 when I changed it out but it did drive 20 feet after that.

Back to why I don't like the OTC. After connecting it it seems to lock the torque converter and doesn't release it. Not a nice feeling when you put it in reverse and the truck stalls. It always releases after a few tries but neverless not a warm and fussy feeling. I almost forgot, with the old PCM it would not buzz any injectors on the buss test. Just adding that in incase someone has the same issue down the road.

Time to make my 2002 into a 2020. It is only the move of two numbers!

#11 ·
What is an “immobilizer”?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.