Stalls in reverse - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarlT828

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stalls in reverse

sorry first post is a problem. - great site - I love my '02 7.3 auto, 4 dr, 6 pos. chip, 105,000 mi. However, starting today engine stalls/dies every time when trans. is put in reverse and motor reaches approx. 1000 RPM. Runs great otherwise. CPS new - replaced by Ford mechanic today with no results - HPOP within the last 5,000 mi. What simple thing could it be? I know one of you has gone through this very thing. Need to tow my race car & trailer with this Friday morning. Thanks in advance. wldhrse

p.s - I've read the cold weather service bulliten on here and I don't think it applies right now as it's 98 degrees here in Oklahoma.

'02 F-250 Silver 7.3 4 door auto - AFE intake, 4" exhaust, 6 pos. chip, isspro gauges, trans. modulator, wicked wheel, bilstiens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 AM

My Photos: (12)
re: Stalls in reverse

Lack of transmission fluid.

2011 f250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM

My Photos: (0)

Ditto what Cool said - had the same problem after pulling a mountain pass and puking some fluid. Went to back up and it would die. Filled it up, and problem vanished.

MM

2001 F-350 Tan Crew Cab XLT (build date of both truck and engine: 9/2000), SRW, LB, 3.73, 4x4, Auto, DP 4 position chip (stock, 40 tow, 80 econo, 120 *GO BABY GO*), AIS w/ fender mod, motoblue 4" turbo back, mini air regulator set to 23lbs to fool MAP, Bilsteins, Autometer Z-series, Heater Bypass, Topper, AstroStart Remote Starter

2004 Jayco 325bhs 5er - no mods....YET...can you mod a 5th wheel trailer????

2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. Cobra Power Pro 2 into 1 exhaust, SS Custom 420 Cams, Dyna3000 ignition, K&N pods, jetted, saddlebags, floorboards, sissybar, and a rear rack. Just give it a twist and hang on!

1968 Ford Mustang Coupe - 302 4bbl, c4 trans, 9" rear end, Shelby race suspension, custom dual exhaust, factory air (not hang on) and cruise! Almost one of a kind! Good looks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks, between my post and your replies I had noticed that suggestion in a D.S. search so I checked it and might have been about a 1/2 qt. low, so I added with no results -same problem still there. I also did a google search and found something about the trans. filter falling off of valvebody causing this prob? I guess that might give you the same symptoms as low fluid. I'm going to look @ that next. wldhrse

'02 F-250 Silver 7.3 4 door auto - AFE intake, 4" exhaust, 6 pos. chip, isspro gauges, trans. modulator, wicked wheel, bilstiens.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 AM

My Photos: (4)

widhrse,
Let me know what you come up with. I'm have the same problem right now. It first started dying making a complete stop. It did it three times. Now it does it only in reverse. Doing research I haven't found out way its doing it. Talked to AAMCO they don't know why untill they pull it apart-$1000 to start. This weekend going to drop the pan and check the filter to see if any metal. I called Brain but he hasn't return my call yet for a new transmission or an easy fix. Any infor I'll find out I'll let you know.

Rob

2000 F-250 XLT, Ext Cab, 4x4, Auto, 3.73, Triple A-pillar w/Phantom AutoMeter Gauges, ZooDad W/6637 mod, Dp Tuner-80 hp Economy, Airlift Airbags, Home made bug guard, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Tru-cool and Shell Leer 100LE.

1991 YJ Jeep
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

changed/flushed trans. filter & fluid - no difference other than it seems to be stalling/ dying at approx. 200 RPM higher. Sounds kinda like a converter huh?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Mine is not stalling at any time but is having trouble finding gears once it runs for a couple minutes and loses gear going down the road. From the research I have done I think it may be the torque converter clutch solenoid. I have found some information where this was the problem for the same symptoms you are describing. Are you having any other problems with it finding gears or slow to go into gear?

Early 1999 F-350 CC 4WD 260,000 miles,
120 hp chip
K&N filter
4" pipe
Leveling kit
285/75/16 Mich. M/T's
Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

problem solved - wire harness was chaffing on the lower bolt of the mass air bracket above driver's side valve cover when engine torqued in reverse. (see pic.) Bolt had backed out into the wire a bit also. The wire that was chaffing and grounding out happend to be the CPS signal wire also. wldhrse

p.s. trans. was ready for a flush anyway.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e080907009.jpg

Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM

My Photos: (12)

Glad you found it. Those kind of things can be a bear.

2011 f250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/
; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED;
;
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
Mine is not stalling at any time but is having trouble finding gears once it runs for a couple minutes and loses gear going down the road. From the research I have done I think it may be the torque converter clutch solenoid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine how the torque converter clutch solenoid could in any way affect how and when the trans selects gears. It's not involved in that at all.

You could have a pump problem, or an internal leak, or a wiring problem to the other solenoids, or even something I haven't thought of. But the TCC? I can't see that being the problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
problem solved - wire harness was chaffing on the lower bolt of the mass air bracket above driver's side valve cover when engine torqued in reverse. (see pic.) Bolt had backed out into the wire a bit also. The wire that was chaffing and grounding out happend to be the CPS signal wire also. wldhrse

p.s. trans. was ready for a flush anyway.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e080907009.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you found it...it is truly amazing how often the problem is so removed from the symtom and how it turns out to something so simple

2001 F250 psd lariat cc sb, build date 08/00, PMT1, 4"turbo back stainless ATS exhaust,4 pos. custom burned Van Aaken quad power chip(stock,+50hp,+75hp,+130hp),airaid intake with prefilter,zoo-dad mod,ccv bypass,intake airheater grid removed,wastegate disconected and locked down,boost relief valve,VDO gauges,sonnax valve and tricumulator springs,24,000# B&M trans cooler,tekonsha prodigy,hella rally 4000 lights,firestone superduty rear airbags,rancho rs9000 shocks, helwig rear antisway bar, Bridgestone Revo 285/75-16
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Resurrecting this old thread to report that it helped me fix an intermittent performance issue with my '01.

When I bought my truck a few months ago it usually ran great. Every now and then it would start running poorly, down on power, can't maintain highway speeds, and blowing a little white smoke out the exhaust. Usually my basic troubleshooting of unplugging the DP Tuner corrected the problem. This week on Monday though, when I was headed home the truck would barely hit 55 mph. The was hardly any boost being generated and the egt's were real low. I parked it and borrowed a car from work to go home.

The next day it ran fine at lunch so in the evening I tried driving it home again (I commute 65 miles one way). The first couple of miles it ran great but then it would start running rough and then the Wait To Start, Check Engine, and Water In Fuel lights would all come on. They would go out and the truck would start running good again. This cycle kept on happening off and on so I parked it again and borrowed the work car once more.

I came home and started searching my symptoms and ran across this thread. I came back today and looked at the wires and bingo!!! The insulation on the orange wire was worn through and was shorting out on the valve cover (the paint on the cover was also worn through showing bare metal). A black wire was starting to wear through as well so I taped them both up with electrical tape and then tapped up the entire wire bundle to keep it from happening again. I plan on getting some plastic wire loom material and add it to the wire bundle like it should have been from the factory.

So far the truck is running like it should. Great information found here and Google is definitely my friend.
69mach1377 likes this.

2001 F350 SC LB 4wd, 7.3 PowerStroke ZF6 transmission. DP Tuner Infinity nDash. Ported turbo housing, billet intake plenums, cold air intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, AIH delete, fuel bowl delete kit, regulated return fuel system, oil rail crossover.

2016 Husqvarna TE250, 2006 Yamaha WR450F, 1998 Honda ST1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in