Starter Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter Questions

Been having a continuous problem with starters. Lost track really, but I think up to about 6 starters in 10 years owning this truck. 4 Since the big build. Most were oem, then the last one I bucked up and got a real denso. The big daddy that barely fit. Thought all my problems were solved. But no. IT has developed the same as most the others. The first ever replacement was because it wore out, didn't spin fast enough. Since then its been what I figure is the starter solenoid packing in. WHy? I can't figure out. Over the years, and researching, experts on this sight point to the white block on the column that the key tumble engages, and the tumbler itself. I don't doubt this since the keys themselves cant even be remade because there too worn. But my doubt is because, on all the starters, when the starter fails, the solenoid still makes a click sound. So if it were the key system, why is the signal still making the solenoid click, and since it is, why does the starter not go? Some times its one key cycle to get it to go, some times its 10 cycles or more, every time the solenoid clicks on the starter? If its the solenoids on 5 starters including the year old denso, then why do they keep failing, it has to be something with the truck in order to kill 5 solenoids on the starters? Or what, why? Cant figure this out. Have warranty, but feel crappy taking starters back that I'm killing some how.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM

I think you have a voltage drop issue and it is causing your early starter failures. What happens is the positive cable (negative as well) corrode inside the plastic coating on the cable. This causes high resistance and voltage drop at the starter. You may have 12.7 volts at the battery but only 11 volts or less at the starter. It may still work but it will shorten starter/solenoid life big time. I would replace both cables with new OEM cables or have high quality ones made. The Jippy Joe ones at the parts stores won't cut it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Never thought of that. Worth a try.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Should be able to check voltage at the starter pretty easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Sometimes when I turn the key, I have to hold the key in "start" position for a couple seconds before the starter turns.

Would this also be caused by a voltage drop or an issue with the ignition switch?

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 252,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead george View Post
Sometimes when I turn the key, I have to hold the key in "start" position for a couple seconds before the starter turns.

Would this also be caused by a voltage drop or an issue with the ignition switch?
I don’t think you could rule out either of those two possibilities yet.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Problem with testing the voltage is I would have to be under there ready when it happens. Never know when it happens. It just does. Then you don't know it its going to do it again, or start. Some times it clicks once then starts next try, some times it ten tries. Never know. I have doubt on the key system. It just sends a signal, and its clear the signal gets there. Guess I could wire a voltage gauge right on the starter and tape it to the dash, and stare at it every time I start it until it happens and shows me something. Lol. Trying to find some beefy wire to make new cables and starter cables. Let ya know how that goes.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanks again for the advice.

I guess I will replace the cables and go on from there.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 252,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead george View Post
Thanks again for the advice.

I guess I will replace the cables and go on from there.
I have been kicking this can down the road for a year...until I get new batteries because everything is corroded.

If I replace just the batteries then I fear the cable corrosion will spread to them and if I replace the cables only then the battery post corrosion will re-contaminate the new cables. I want to do it all at once.

I know...faulty logic.

I am treating the corrosion like its mold or contageous bacteria.

But I have decided to just get new Ford OEM from White Bear Lake when I do buy the new cables.
I dreamed about some of those custom built cables with all the upgraded military terminals and such...but with two trucks needing them and the EPA very likely making my old 7.3s illegal to operate on public roadways in the next 10 years, I guess the original Ford cables lasted 14 before issues.

Lol

SOLD:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I have been kicking this can down the road for a year...until I get new batteries because everything is corroded.

If I replace just the batteries then I fear the cable corrosion will spread to them and if I replace the cables only then the battery post corrosion will re-contaminate the new cables. I want to do it all at once.

I know...faulty logic.

I am treating the corrosion like its mold or contageous bacteria.

But I have decided to just get new Ford OEM from White Bear Lake when I do buy the new cables.
I dreamed about some of those custom built cables with all the upgraded military terminals and such...but with two trucks needing them and the EPA very likely making my old 7.3s illegal to operate on public roadways in the next 10 years, I guess the original Ford cables lasted 14 before issues.

Lol

I have never liked the OEM cable connections at the battery terminals. So I am going to buy custom cables or make my own. I have to determine the difference in price. Then I will decide ...

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM

IIRC, the Custom Cables were nearly $200 more per set.

Please post your findings and which year you researched because I think the ‘02 is different from previous years.

SOLD:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:02 PM

My Photos: (1)
I have repaired 7.3 + cable set by using brass marine battery terminals and crimping and soldering lugs on the ends of cables. The LH cable and RH batt to starter cable ends are stacked on the RH terminal but I get voltage drops of 20 mV or less using starter as load. The OE chunk of lead connection on RH side is worse than that on a good cable. Don't forget to check block to neg terminal voltage to make sure you don't have problems on those.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM

"but with two trucks needing them and the EPA very likely making my old 7.3s illegal to operate on public roadways in the next 10 years"

Emissions?

Do you have any more information on this? I'm interested to learn more on this.

Thanks
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEdwards View Post
"but with two trucks needing them and the EPA very likely making my old 7.3s illegal to operate on public roadways in the next 10 years"

Emissions?

Do you have any more information on this? I'm interested to learn more on this.

Thanks
Sorry...just 100% personal opinion.
Not even worth 2. I just remember CA regulating pre-2010 big rigs.

I should have just said even a new set of OEM will probably outlast my trucks...or ME 😉

SOLD:

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-04-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Sorry...just 100% personal opinion.
Not even worth 2. I just remember CA regulating pre-2010 big rigs.

I should have just said even a new set of OEM will probably outlast my trucks...or ME 😉
California has already banned any modifications to our trucks, unless they are CARB approved, which are few and far between, and a smog check is required every two years to make sure that no unapproved modifications have been made.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in