Testing Glow Plug Relay off the truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Testing Glow Plug Relay off the truck

I'm curious if it is possible to effectively test the GPR when it is off the truck. I failed to notice the whole part about how the GPR doesn't actually trigger unless the orange wire post opposite the red wire trigger post is grounded. So, having already thrown the new GPR on and wondered why it wasn't working, I dug around here until I found that handy bit of information. I just thought it was like a regular old relay, power the trigger and a supply and output posts bridge. Which explained why my brand new one didn't appear working until I grounded out the orange wire post and was greeted with a loud click and 12 volts on the meter. This also tells me I didn't properly test my old relay and perhaps it is still good.

So, that having been said: If I have a relay not installed and I use a 12 volt power supply (a 12V battery charger) and connect the positive line to the 12v trigger and supply posts of the relay and the negative clamp to the (orange wire) post opposite of the trigger of the relay, I should should get a 0 ohm bridge between the two large posts with 12 volts, correct? My old relay just sits there and buzzes faintly with infinite resistance across the posts and no juice.

Granted I could put the old one back in and test it properly, but I don't want to spend the time, and I managed to swap them once without dropping anything into the valley of the lost and don't want to press my luck.

Also, how cold does it need to be for the glow plugs to come into play? As I recall it is based off of oil tempature (HP res or pan?). Ambient temp here is 60 degrees and the truck has been off for a couple hours now and is still a little warm from running around this morning. Of course the glow plug light on the dash comes on, but apparently this light doesn't really mean the glow plugs are being powered.

Glenn

2002 F-350/XLT/PSD/SRW/CC/LB/4x4OR/Auto 233k miles
Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
You can get a GPR to pull in (assuming the coil isn't burnt out) by applying 12V across the two smaller terminals (polarity doesn't matter). But that doesn't mean the contacts aren't burnt and cause a high resistance connection (or none) across the larger terminals (again not polarity sensitive). I've also had one that was sticking closed. Took 3 or 4 tries before it would click. That one got trashed.

There's a picture in my photo gallery of a GPR torn apart showing burnt connections. It was intermittent in operation.

The GPR activation is controlled by the oil temp measured at the HPOP reservoir. It needs to be below 130F for the PCM to pull in the GPR. The WTS light is independent of GPR operation.

So you may need to let your engine cool off more to get a valid test.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

My Photos: (11)
He wants to check the old one that he removed

I would not worry about the old one if it has been on there for a few years.

If it now starts good leave it be.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby
Swamps,Tony Wildman
Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excavator View Post

I agree totally, Jim. Keeping old GPR's laying around is a waste of time.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

My Photos: (7)
I noticed mine was "going" bad when I went to check my fuel pressure while I cycled the key after a filter change. The relay was smoking....

It started to bulge the plastic and was melting.

That one had some problems and prolly looked like the ones in Kevin's pictures....

Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via AIM to BlueMuleTrucking
How do I check which GPR is bad on the truck? I really don't have a second set of hands, so a second replacement at about 30 dollars, I don't have too big of an issue replacing both, Work is slow till the 15th or so, so I want to pinch pennies the next week or two.

Evan-
2003 Ford F-350 Crew Cab L/B/Dually XLT FX4 7.3L/Auto- Gooseneck Hitch Fifth Wheel Rails, Firestone Air Bags/ Toolbox
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 PM

My Photos: (11)
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...e-first-75094/

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby
Swamps,Tony Wildman
Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMuleTrucking View Post
How do I check which GPR is bad on the truck? I really don't have a second set of hands, so a second replacement at about 30 dollars, I don't have too big of an issue replacing both, Work is slow till the 15th or so, so I want to pinch pennies the next week or two.
You only have ONE GPR. It's the relay mounted closer to the firewall. The one in the front is the Intake Air Heater relay, which rarely is called on to close.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
You only have ONE GPR. It's the relay mounted closer to the firewall. The one in the front is the Intake Air Heater relay, which rarely is called on to close.
What are the two similar looking units on the front next to the Oil Filter?

Evan-
2003 Ford F-350 Crew Cab L/B/Dually XLT FX4 7.3L/Auto- Gooseneck Hitch Fifth Wheel Rails, Firestone Air Bags/ Toolbox
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMuleTrucking View Post
What are the two similar looking units on the front next to the Oil Filter?
If you meant fuel filter, the front one is the IAH relay, and the rear one is the GPR. I guess I threw you off talking about "closer to the firewall." Sorry. Both relays are actually toward the front of the engine in the valley.

Here's a pic. The circled one is the GPR.

photo credit to F350_6

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Yes I meant fuel filter. Yes you did throw me off. When I go to change it, I'm printing out the picture so I don't reverse anything. Thanks for the help.

Evan-
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excavator View Post
He wants to check the old one that he removed

Reason being for checking the old one is to ensure it really was faulty and I don't have anther problem elsewhere, ie, bad plugs, that I won't know about until next winter, and hopefully not be stuck somewhere as a result.

Being in southern Nevada this time of year isn't cold enough to cause cold weather starting issues.

Glenn

2002 F-350/XLT/PSD/SRW/CC/LB/4x4OR/Auto 233k miles
Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 AM

My Photos: (7)
To test out of the truck - put 12v to the small terminals and put an ohm meter on the large ones. Should be pretty low resistance.

John

Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoGlenn View Post
Reason being for checking the old one is to ensure it really was faulty and I don't have anther problem elsewhere, ie, bad plugs, that I won't know about until next winter, and hopefully not be stuck somewhere as a result.
You can check the glow plugs without removing them. Check the Hard/No Start link in my signature for the procedure.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Got the GPR switched out. Took about 20 minutes total with, looking for tools. I dropped one of the washers for the connections, and the boot on the left terminal pretty much fell apart. Is it worth getting a washer and fixing the boot with tape or shrink wrap?

Evan-

Last edited by BlueMuleTrucking; 03-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in