Testing glowplug pigtail - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By klhansen
  • 2 Post By klhansen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Testing glowplug pigtail

Hard white smoke starts. Tested the glow plugs threw the valve cover harness and have 2 that are infinite..rest are in the 1.2 ohm range. Is there a way to test the pigtail back to fix issues that way, while im at it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
If you're talking about the pigtail between the GPR and the VC connector, just a continuity test would do it.

To get any further to tell whether it's a bad glow plug or a disconnected or broken wire in the UVCH, you'll need to pull the valve cover off. You already know that there's an issue there. Once you have the VC off, test the GP's directly for resistance. If they all test good, then your issue was the UVCH.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 AM

My Photos: (0)
Since you know you have 2 dead plugs, your going in anyway. 2 dead is totally enough to make it smoke when cold. Mine is hard to start if 2 are dead. I know cause I have 2 that wont stay plugged in, keeps popping off the plug, and there so fragile I don't want to try and tighten the clip. So I glued it. Lol. The harness can be tested without taking the cover off, if the plugs are plugged in. lol. The procedure is in the service manual and tests all the wires. If you need a harness, don't buy the after market, they are garbage, and most times the gasket part of it is off and they don't seal properly causeing leaks. Tried most of them, none are any good unless you goop them. Plugs are cheap, if your going in. replace them all.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Rather than start a new thread I'll just dog pile on here...lol
Only 1 ohmed out over 13, so I'm going in.
Do you really need to remove the CCV 'dog house' to remove the driver side valve cover? I've seen it both ways on the interwebs.
And if so, do you need the (4?) OEM style O-rings which may be all squashed, or can you just use some the right size?

Thanks in advance.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.

Last edited by 69mach1377; 01-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
Do you really need to remove the CCV 'dog house' to remove the driver side valve cover? I've seen it both ways on the interwebs.
And if so, do you need the (4?) OEM style O-rings which may be all squashed, or can you just use some the right size?
I've done it both ways. No need to remove the doghouse. It makes a handy "handle" for the valve cover.
If your doghouse isn't leaking around the o-rings or at the screws, leave them along. The larger ones are triangular cross section o-rings, not normal round ones, so if you do replace them, get the correct ones, which the ones you linked to appear to be.
69mach1377 likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
I didn't notice any leaking from that area, or any area at all, but I'll double check. Thanks again.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Garage
So I got the glow plugs torqued and connected, but still need to ohm them out before putting everything back together.
Question about the oil around the old glow plugs. I removed some of it before pulling them out but apparently not all of it. Is it bad to try and start it up this way or should I rotate the engine with plugs out first to push oil out?

Last edited by 69mach1377; 01-11-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
Question about the oil around the old glow plugs. I removed some of it before pulling them out but apparently not all of it. Is it bad to try and start it up this way or should I rotate the engine with plugs out first to push oil out?
I don't believe there's enough oil to lock the engine up, but I would at least rotate the engine 2 full turns by hand before attempting to start. I wouldn't bother taking the glow plugs back out. As long as the engine rotates freely by hand, it will start and burn off any oil that's in the cylinders. Probably don't have mosquitoes this time of year, but it's good repellent.
69mach1377 and aclasshog like this.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in