trans cooler/fluid - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans cooler/fluid

I purchased an early 99 f250 a few years back and have used it to pull my 32' fifth wheel camper about 6 times and just used it to drive here and there. Its a good solid truck, shifts great and I have a tuner on it with a 40hp tow program which works well. When I bought it I was told that "the dealer" had just installed a "new" trans. The transmission was clearly a fresh install and looks like it might be a ford factory rebuilt transmission. It has a serial # decal on it.. not sure if it means anything.

anyhow, I noticed a slow ATF leak and sourced it to the factory hoses that connect to the factory oil cooler. Looks like where they went from metal to rubber failed after 21 years. Go figure.

So, rather than pulling the stock cooler, getting a wrench on the fittings to take the hoses off, buying the correct fittings (my cooler is not a barb/clamp deal) and then putting it back together the way it was I bought a used 26 row off a 6.0l truck so it isnt a complete waste of time. I will install a filter on the output of the used cooler so I dont think debris will be an issue if there is any.

My question is; what ATF do I use since I dont know if its synth in the trans now? The fluid looked nice and red last time I looked at it so really dont want to pay to have it flushed and for new fluid etc..

Can someone who really knows the answer to this lend a brother some information.

Im attaching a few photos for your enjoyment. Two show the transmission (serial decal on one) and what should show the leaking cooler line..

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190609_155017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	127322  

Name:	20190609_155012 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	127324  

Name:	20190609_152901.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	127326  

Name:	cooler leak and fitting.png
Views:	9
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	127328  

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

It absolutely will not hurt to mix transmission fluids as long as they are approved for your transmission. For the 4R100, that would include Mercon or Mercon V. Mobil 1 ATF is a good choice if you are towing as it is a full synthetic. Valvoline Max Life is another that will work. Does your truck have the fluid cooler in the bottom of the radiator? If not, I would upgrade to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 AM

I would run some new warm fluid through the new cooler with compressed air and see what comes out. Running with the new filter is a good idea.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
It absolutely will not hurt to mix transmission fluids as long as they are approved for your transmission. For the 4R100, that would include Mercon or Mercon V. Mobil 1 ATF is a good choice if you are towing as it is a full synthetic. Valvoline Max Life is another that will work. Does your truck have the fluid cooler in the bottom of the radiator? If not, I would upgrade to that.

No, no water to oil cooling. Is it worth it to upgrade my radiator?

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post

My truck came from the factory with only the small trans cooler and no radiator tied in. It would get hot I upgraded to the 6.0 31 row cooler and have had no problems since. During the winters in Colorado it runs 125-135 degrees and summer it hits 150 -175. I would tie in the cooler and put a temp gauge on it to see what it runs. I don’t think it worth it.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM
RT

Quote:
I'd say yes. A new Spectra radiator from RockAuto is less than $120 and oil to water cooling is much more efficient than oil to air. You probably would get away with it towing flat in cool weather, but try to haul something heavy uphill and you might be glad you spent the extra C note.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:46 AM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
For the 4R100, that would include Mercon or Mercon V.
Nobody has made MERCON since 2006. Use MERCON V.

The radiator cooler becomes very important at low speeds, especially when backing up. If you are backing a trailer, especially if you're backing up any grade at all you really need a cooler in the radiator.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the responses. I will pickup some mercon v rated atf, synthetic. Sure wish i knew what was in there.. thinking I might drain out what I can and refill the remainder with synth to be sure it has a good qty.

Any comments on the following procedure:
  • Disconnect radiator cooler and drop hose into a container.
  • Turn on truck and watch the container fill.
  • Watch for air bubbles and as soon as they are seen shut off truck.
  • Note qty drained
  • Fill with same qty drained
  • Test drive truck, get hot and check fill stick, top up as needed.

Saw it on you tube but I dont trust much on the internets these days.

I will consider the radiator change. Noted comments about low speed driving. Water to oil or a fan would assist.. but actually, if you think about it, the stock cooler is fan cooled.

EDIT: Would really like comments on this ATF replacement procedure for the DIY person.

Last edited by Barchetta; 06-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Nobody has made MERCON since 2006. Use MERCON V.

More accurately, nobody has paid Ford licensing fees for the glory and honor of having the official Mercon seal of approval. But plenty of companies still make it. https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...s/dex-merc-atf

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM

Nope. Nobody makes MERCON. Many companies make a fluid they call DEX/MERC. They say it is for use in transmissions that required MERCON or DEXRON fluids.

The difference is that when Ford and GM were licensing the production of MERCON and DEXRON there was a process where the manufacturer had to submit fluid to the OEM for testing. Ford and GM had tests to confirm that the fluid met the specifications. We even built transmissions to drive test the fluids. I was one of the raters of some fluids many years ago.

Now anyone can make a DEX/MERC fluid and say it is for use where MERCON or DEXRON was specified. But does this fluid meet the specs? Nobody knows. It is entirely possible (I'm not saying this happened, but it could) that a manufacturer has a couple thousand gallons of TYPE F fluid laying around. They can bottle that and sell it as DEX/MERC. Is that ethical? Not at all. But they CAN sell it as DEX/MERC because there is no specification for DEX/MERC, and nobody watching what specs that fluid really meets.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Any comments on the following procedure:
That covers most of it but isn't complete. Try this one: https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...ission-198641/

Mark
Former

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
RT

Quote:
Nope. Nobody makes MERCON. It is entirely possible (I'm not saying this happened, but it could) that a manufacturer has a couple thousand gallons of TYPE F fluid laying around. They can bottle that and sell it as DEX/MERC. Is that ethical? Not at all.
Like when some company had a few thousand gallons of leftover Mercon and relabled it as “transfer case fluid” and told everyone Mercon V would blow up their transfer cases (until they sell it all and Mercon V will magically become ok for that application too...)

I see the distinction you are making with labeled as Mercon and officially blessed by the Ford marketing department as such.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I see the distinction you are making with labeled as Mercon and officially blessed by the Ford marketing department as such.
The engineering department, not the marketing department.

Mark
Former

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 PM
RT

I’ve read too many Dilbert cartoons. I must be getting cynical.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That covers most of it but isn't complete. Try this one: https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...ission-198641/
Got it.. Drain from the transmission not the cooler.. makes sense.

I hate to replace all the fluid without doing the filter. Although I will be installing one of those mini filters on the cooler output.

I know the dealer didnt do the install... otherwise one would be there already. Makes me wonder what the background is on my transmission.. I guess I will never know unless is disintegrates while I own it. I feel as though Im going to own this truck for a long long time.. feels like an old friend everytime I get in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in