Transfer case fluid change,differentials oil change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Transfer case fluid change,differentials oil change

2000 excursion 7.3 4wd.automatic. what fluid/additives and how much for changing tranfer case oil. also what oil / additives for diffs..do they take regular 80-90 wt and posi additive.also how much. thanks

2000 excursion limited 7.3 4x4 -"the black beast"- my traveltrailer tow vehicle.monroe reflex shocks,helwig rear swaybar,2004 front spring bumpstops,isspro gauges,walker btm muffler,diy 4486 intake,265/70/17s.powerslot rotors,hawk pads.dp-tuner 80 econo,80 tow,120 . 6.0 trans cooler.
. 2000 CREW CAB LONGBED 7.3 2WD 94000 MI - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:01 PM

the T-case takes regular old Mercon III, about 3-4 quarts

XY-90-GL in the front (SAE 90) in the front, 3.8 pints

XY-75W140-QL (synthetic)in the rear 6.5-6.9 pints, plus 2 XL-3 4oz modifiers in the rear in you have a limited slip

Sorry for the pints-its how my book lists fluids
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Transfer case: 2 quarts Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid.

Rear axle: 6.9 pints 75w140 synthetic. Pay attention: that's SYNTHETIC gear lube.

Front axle: Your Owner's Guide calls for 3.8 pints 75w90 synthetic axle lube. The latest workshop manual published in 2003 for 2000 Excursion says SAE 90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant.

The current quick reference chart for differential lube used by Ford techs is at:
Motorcraft quick reference chart for axle lubes

Since the quick reference chart is current, it may be different than old printed manuals from several years ago. I can't read upside down, so I've learned to print out the chart and then I can read it.

Transfer case lube changed a few years ago. Your Owner's Guide says to use MERCON, but MERCON is no longer available, and you cannot use MERCON V. So you have to use the new stuff Ford developed specifically for transfer cases - Mortorcraft Transfer Case fluid: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...smission Fluid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 11-22-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Xfer case fluid, not MERCON V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Transfer case: 2 quarts MERCON V ATF

Rear axle: 6.9 pints 75w140 synthetic. Pay attention: that's SYNTHETIC gear lube.

Front axle: Your Owner's Guide calls for 3.8 pints 75w90 synthetic axle lube. The latest workshop manual published in 2003 for 2000 Excursion says SAE 90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant.
They don't make a 75-140 that's not synthetic. And you don't need Mercon V ATF or SAE 90 (Ford just consolidated their fluids). Use Mercon III and 75-90 synthetic.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

i have synthetic 90wt.. good for front .. but looked at mercon V atf at store . it says on back "not for use in transfer case".. have to find some 75w140 syn.. is all 75w140 synthetic??

2000 excursion limited 7.3 4x4 -"the black beast"- my traveltrailer tow vehicle.monroe reflex shocks,helwig rear swaybar,2004 front spring bumpstops,isspro gauges,walker btm muffler,diy 4486 intake,265/70/17s.powerslot rotors,hawk pads.dp-tuner 80 econo,80 tow,120 . 6.0 trans cooler.
. 2000 CREW CAB LONGBED 7.3 2WD 94000 MI - sold
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM

All 75-140 will be syn. Try the Royal Purple. You don't need to add the friction modifier because it's already in it at the perfect amount.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselturbo View Post
but looked at mercon V atf at store . it says on back "not for use in transfer case".
I have Mobil 1 ATF in my manual transmission and transfer case.

2001 F-350 Crew Cab XLT PSD 4x4, Long Bed, 6-speed, 3.73, Manual Transfer, Power TTT Mirrors, 122k miles.
1989 Toyota 4x4 xtracab SR5 V6, Beat to heck with 200k+ miles and still running strong.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
looked at mercon V atf at store . it says on back "not for use in transfer case"
Thats a new one to me. Some Merc V must not work with the clutch packs in some of the T-cases out there.

Any type of Merc III will work. Thats what it comes from the factory with

Last edited by TousleyParts; 01-23-2010 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM

I've gone through 2 T Cases on this thing and its a pain to find non destroyed refurbished ones
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
but looked at mercon V atf at store . it says on back "not for use in transfer case"
What brand oil was it? The t-case in my older trucks used 90 Wt gear oil, but this one says ATF. My first change I used Mobil 1 ATF which was listed as Mercon. On the second change, the Mobil 1 ATF was now rated Mercon V, which is what I used.

Ford recently came out with "Transfer Case Fluid" see: Transfer Case Fluid, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is. It's called for in the latest Superdutys starting in the '08 models, but if you look at your owner's manual, it will call for Mercon ATF in your t-case. Mercon V should be just fine. Ford says that Mercon V is OK for use in units that call for Mercon. MERCONŽ V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid

BTW, there never was Mercon III, but I believe plain ol Mercon was 'double branded' as Dexron III, which probably leads to confusion.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 08-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Ford says that Mercon V is OK for use in units that call for Mercon. MERCONŽ V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid
Kevin, read that again and you'll see it says "Do not use ... in transfer cases."

So you can use the old MERCON but not the current MERCON V in transfer cases. Since the old MERCON is no longer available from legitimate manufacturers, use the new transfer case stuff. It's made of "PETROLEUM DISTILLATES
HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC LUBRICATING OILS (PETROLEUM). The Ford spec is ESP-M2C166-H. I don't know how to find the details of a Ford spec, but I'll bet you do.

BTW, I found about about MERCON V not being useable in transfer cases a few weeks ago, but this old thread was before that. So notice I edited my earlier reply.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM

I wonder why.. I've always just put atf in my transfer cases... alot of guys I know in the offroad world do the same.

2002 f250 ecsb 7.3,4r100 triple disc converter shift kit, amsoil atf, 60/10.5 DIY Tymar, (ISSPROboost, trans, Egt) PHP FU., Harpoon, hutch mods, ITP fuel pick up.
AutoEnginuity in the Lafayette-Houma area
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Smokeys right my manual calls for mercon (and they dont make it any more) and Ive been running mobile syn atf since 1st service. And have been ever since. No problems. But I service it every year. Overkill I guess, but a lot cheaper than a used new one if you get my drift

2002 Excursion 7.3L 200K+, After market tranny cooler, diesel site transmission filter kit, coolant filter kit and complete boot kit, bilstein shocks. Original transmission with mobile syn ATF
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaZ71Tahoe View Post
I wonder why.. I've always just put atf in my transfer cases... alot of guys I know in the offroad world do the same.
Ford stopped the manufacturing of MERCON ATF by anybody a few years ago. MERCON ATF was fine in transfer cases, power steering pumps, automagic trannies, and the ZF manual trannies. MERCON V replaced MERCON for use in automatic trannies, but it's not good for transfer cases. So Ford had to come up with another lube for the transfer cases.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance1955 View Post
... Ive been running mobile syn atf since 1st service. And have been ever since. No problems.
ExxonMobile changed Mobil 1 ATF to MERCON V about the same time Ford stopped the manufacture of MERCON. So if you buy fresh Mobil 1 ATF and read the label carefully, you'll see it's now MERCON V. It's fine for use in our 4R100 trannies, but not in our transfer cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in