Trying to find exhaust/cold side leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to find exhaust/cold side leak

Hey, so I'm really struggling with trying to find some kind of a leak on my truck... I hear a ticking through my firewall mostly on the driver's side. its loudest when engines cold and quiets a bit once warmed but does not fully go away, when I pop the hood I cannot find any soot streaks on any of the exhaust I have checked up pipes the whole way through and the most I can find is if I scrape my nail between the manifold and the up pipe but it's barely anything. It seems like a lot of my noise is coming internally from the CAC? Pipe... is there something I'm not understanding here! I'm still learning this truck and cannot find any real direction on where to go with this leak! My truck is stock with 190k and only aftermaket is the ais intake. My truck doesn't roll coal nor do I want it to but could this be why I'm not finding any soot? I'm down on power and mileage but am getting decent boost (around 5 to 7 unloaded at 65mph) any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 AM

I'm not sure if you are looking for a leak or a ticking noise. How long have you had your truck? Are you sure you have a problem, or are you just getting used to the truck?

Put the truck on a scanner and see if you have any codes.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Another member posted that he found his leaks by putting his leaf blower in the tail pipe and looking for the air coming out. A feather would be usefull here, but tissue paper will work.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 PM

I always say all the piping down with Dawn dish soap and water and put air to it. If you have a leak it will blow bubbles.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I tried the lead blower and couldn't find anything, then tried the dawn dish soap and came to the the conclusion I have a driver side manifold leak when cold closest to the #8 cylinder but have no soot around the head it just blew a few bubbles and that's where the tick sounds the loudest. So I'll have to outsource that cause I'm definitely not dealing with it... but I think I'll wait till it gets a bit worse since it goes away shortly after reaching operating temp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in