The Diesel Stop banner

Turn key but won't crank

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Thereal241 
#1 ·
A little background on the truck, I just put a rebuilt transmission in. I drove it twice about 200 miles with no problems. Started it today to move it with no issues. Then I went to pick up my trailer at a friend's house, turned the key and no crank. I wiggled the shifter into park and neutral and nothing. Read a forum and a guy said try putting it in reverse, rolling back a foot and try again. It fired right up. Shut it off and couldn't get it to crank again, wiggled it into neutral and it started again. While it was running the overdrive light was flashing which I think means it's throwing a code. Now I can't get it to fire again no matter how much I roll it back or wiggle the shifter. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with this thing?

#3 ·
If playing with the shifter got it to crank the first time, I think that would point to the DTRS - that's the critter on the driver's side of the transmission that tells the PCM where the shifter is - it also incorporates the neutral safety switch. It could be out of adjustment or just bad.

#4 ·
I wish I had a way of reading the codes but I don't. I adjusted the neutral safety switch hoping I just had it out of line but it was fine and I pulled the plug and cleaned it some. Then I realized a pretty significant crack in the trs, neutral safely switch or whatever you want to call it. I'm guessing that would be a good place to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.