Well there's your problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well there's your problem

So, after hearing about how the 42 pin connector can chaff by rubbing against the valve cover, I decided to investigate.

The red wire is pin #24--12V to the IPR, Fuel pump relay, the PCM relay and two pins on the 4R100 connector.

Can't imagine that wasn't causing problems somewhere, though I must admit, I have never blown a fuse.

Just cut it where the chaff was, stripped back a 1/4 inch in each direction and put in a butt connector. Then, wrapped everything up with a few layers of that good 3M electrical tape.

Truck restarted without a problem, I still haven't gone anywhere with it, so I don't know if I really solved any issues. I'll run codes later and see if anything changed anywhere.

Edit:

I would recommend if you've got oddball problems to disconnect this harness and check it out. Just open the air filter housing, loosen it at the connection it makes at the engine, then, a 10mm bolt on the 42 pin connector and flip it over. You may even see a spot on the valve cover where it is rubbed raw (like mine).

Buy good electrical tape and tape up a few layers around the wiring bundle before you put everything back. They just didn't put wire loom up high enough on this harness . . .

Last edited by ReefBlue; 09-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Good find !

THAT should clear up some random electrical probl's !!

2000 f350 7.3 ccab 4x4 auto , DpTuner, AIH Delete, 4" Magnaflow . Only 130,000 miles on it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
2001 Ram 2500 auto w/cummins
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:48 PM

You got very lucky! Matt

2000 F250 crew cab long box
Banks exhaust, bighead, trancommand, boost gauge trans temp, pyrometer(post turbo)
Dp-Tuner 60& 80econ 60& 80 tow
Strictly diesel overboost annihilator
jobeperformance intake
dieselsite 203 t stat, coolant filter, evans coolant
38r with bank-bighead installed, diesel site non ebv flange international up-pipes coated, diesel site engine boot-kit, non-ebv pedestal
strictly diesel regulated fuel return kit 65psi.
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
isspro ev2 pyrometer(pre turbo), fuel pressure, coolant temp, HPOP gauge
1985 M1009 soon to be installed banks sidewinder turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Yep, that'll do it. Interesting that your bundle had a twist in it that put that wire lowest. As they come out of the 42 pin connector, the high voltage injector circuits are nearest the valve cover. Usually when they rub thru, it's the injectors that start acting up.

Glad you got it fixed up.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in