Wheel Bearing or Parking brake? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel Bearing or Parking brake?

My son was driving my 99 super duty and said it was making a "sound" and pulled over immediately. When I went to check on it, it was as if the parking brake was slightly engaged. You can hear a grinding noise when you first take off. He had just stopped at a store and didn't engage the brake. I engaged the brake and then released, but that didn't change anything, so I'm thinking of what else it could be. Being mechanically inclined, but NOT a mechanic I though maybe it was a wheel bearing....any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 AM

I would look at the brakes to see how much material is left on the pads. Check to see if a caliper or piston is hanging up. That would make the pads wear unevenly.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, lift the wheels off the ground and put the truck on jack stands. With tires removed you can hear where the noise is coming from. If not from the brakes, pull the axles one at a time. Then you will determine if a wheel bearings are making the noise or the rear end.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 252,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:09 AM

I had the same problems 6 months ago on my 2000 it was the caliper slid pins had rusted in the mounting bracket and chewed up the inside pad. I must not of put in enough caliper grease on the pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Panhead George’s suggestion of lifting the axle on jackstands and spinning the wheels by hand is the next step I take.

And 2000-F250 may have identified your trouble or atleast brought up an important maintenance practice on our trucks...removing the slide pins, cleaning off old grease and applying new grease. I use Syl-Glide from NAPA. There are good DIY videos on YouTube. (If the slide pins are rusty and pitted from no grease then you may need new ones if they don’t clean up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Panhead George’s suggestion of lifting the axle on jackstands and spinning the wheels by hand is the next step I take.
If you don't hear the noise spinning the wheels by hand, put it in drive (while up on jack stands ) . Then you can determine if it is the rear end, center bearing or drive shaft.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 252,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in