Would appreciate some advice on checking my turbo, rebuild kits, and wheels. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would appreciate some advice on checking my turbo, rebuild kits, and wheels.

2002 F350 —I’m very happy with my 7.3 being stock, do have a TS-6 tuner. Truck runs great. Previous owner told me that with 185K I should check turbo bearings on the Garrett turbo (per his mechanic), remove inlet and look for wear on housing......... but from reading older posts it sounds like I should be checking the wheel for play, in/out and side to side. As far as noise— too many years at the factory and not that great of hearing. If I find wear, I would like to rebuild. Is there any advantage to a WW since I plan to leave the 7.3L stock. I don’t know much about the turbos, and advice would be great on what to look for, and good options. Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
When it is still warm, pull the compressor wheel back and forth as well as try to move it outward. There should be very little movement. Spin it with your finger, it should do several rotations before stopping.
If you tow and hear any surge/chuffing, a WW should fix that, it did mine.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM

I rebuilt mine at 245k for pm at it was perfect.

Like he said if you get surge towing upgrade the compressor wheel

Skip the standard housing and Ww1. Both aren’t worth the money.

Get one of the billet wheels from riffraff, dieselsite

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I agree with the billet wheel. What I did was buy the parts and a core center section. I sent it to Arundel Diesel in Maryland. They installed the 360° rebuild kit and unit balanced the rotating assembly. When I get ready to do my swap, I'll be able to pull my center section, replace it with the new one and be back on the road same day. Look into upgrading your wastegate controller at the same time. I got this one from DieselSite - https://www.dieselsite.com/19995-200...ontroller.aspx

Now that I have all my parts together, I just need a few dry cool days to get to work on it.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen, as blue99stroke mentioned my agenda right now is geared at pm, I’m only pulling 3500# trailer and boat for now until I buy a truck camper & 5th wheel so I’m not even sure what surge sounds like. I appreciate all your suggestions—I hope to find the turbo still in good shape.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
............. I sent it to Arundel Diesel in Maryland. .......
What kind of balancer do they have?

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 PM
RT

I can call Monday and check - I think I remember it being a CIMAT, but don't hold me to that.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in