ZF6 horrible noise but no symptoms of failure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 horrible noise but no symptoms of failure

Alright fellas, I'm stumped; for the last few weeks my ZF6 has been making this screeching or creaking noise, almost like someone opening a door, or running fingers down a chalk board, when I push the clutch in and then let it out; I first noticed it when the truck is not running, and it's just awful; you can hear it in the cab; so I had my wife hope up in the driver's seat and move the clutch in and out, and it is crazy loud screech under the truck, and sounds like it's coming from the transmission itself

when I first heard it, I thought it was the pedal itself, so I hit it with some lube and still had the noise, so that's when I poked around some more to find it at the actual transmission (or so it seems)

my truck has 125K on it and what's stumping me is the transmission shifts smooth in all gears, no grinding, no slipping clutch, no kicking out of gear, no symptoms of failure at all and the fluid level looks fine at the slave cylinder; what could this possibly be???

I also hear some rattling when I go over bumps, and when I'm slowing to a stop below 10 mph; this happens both in and out of gear; maybe this is related...maybe not

has anyone had this issue before??? just looking for some insight before I go to the shop and drop big bucks unnecessarily

thanks

2000 F350 4X4 XLT CCLB SRW 7.3L ZF6
8.5" Pro Comp lift
16x12 M/T Classic IIIs with 38x15.50 Toyo Open Country M/T rubber
Riffraff Diesel 6637 intake, CCV mod, HPX, AIH delete, CAC boots/clamps/plenum inserts
Riffraff Diesel Coolant Filtration System, Billet Thermostat Housing
MBRP 4" SS straight exhaust
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
VIAIR on-board compressor w/Kleinn air horns
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
Iron Cross bumpers w/Rigid Dually LEDs
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 AM

My Photos: (8)
Throwout bearing going bad.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

would a throwout bearing make a screeching noise when the truck isn't running? the just happens when the clutch pedal moves in and out. It's not constant like a throw bearing noise when the clutch is engaged...so that wouldn't be my first guess.

Some amplifying data to this mystery was this morning. Got in the truck and pushed the clutch in and no noises, and smooth as butter. After driving 20 mins to work, I turn off the truck and work the clutch pedal, and the creaking/screeching noise during pedal movement is back. Also, I've noticed in the past, after I've been driving a while, the clutch pedal is less smooth when I'm letting it out. It's almost like a ratcheting feeling when trying to let the clutch out slowly.

8.5" Pro Comp lift
Riffraff Diesel 6637 intake, CCV mod, HPX, AIH delete, CAC boots/clamps/plenum inserts
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 AM

You can try lubing the pivot points on the clutch pedal but if it is coming form the tranny I would say throwout bearing. Just to be clear you hear the noise before you have started the truck?
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Old 08-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
If its not the pedal linkage then you probably need to pull the trans out. My guess is throw out bearing or clutch pressure plate.

2001 PSD 7.3
4x4
ZF6 swapped
Crew cab
TS6 with custom tunes from Jody at DP-Tuner
HPX oil crossover
6637 MOD
CCV MOD
4" Turbo back exhaust side exit
EBPV gutted pedestal and Valve delete
Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM

I have had that noise come from both the pivot point and the pressure plate. I had to change the Pivot ball in the bellhousing for one and a new clutch assembly for the other. The sliding of the throw out bearing on the transmission neck could also cause the noise you describe. Either one requires pulling the transmission

I have been able to grease the pivot point and reduce the noise before

Any senior members want to clarify this on these transmissions PLEASE do.

'99 F450 SD, Crew Cab, DRW, Flatbed Dump.
Fuel Filter and pump upgrade, regulated return.
Billet turbo wheel, EBP Delete, 4" downpipe, 5" exhaust,

Quad Pillar Fuel pres, voltage, boost, EGT.
Dual cluster HPOP, Oil temp
Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
You can try lubing the pivot points on the clutch pedal but if it is coming form the tranny I would say throwout bearing. Just to be clear you hear the noise before you have started the truck?
DENNY
yes and no; when I hop in the truck in the morning and push the clutch in before starting, there is no noise; however after I've been driving the truck around, starting and stop the engine, the noise gets pretty loud; but yes, it happens when the truck is off (most noticeable), and when it's running (less noticeable due to engine noise), but definitely when the engine/tranny are warmed up

8.5" Pro Comp lift
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Old 08-13-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

alright fellas, I took a video this time so you can tell me your thoughts and no guessing as to my description of the noise. Again, it doesn't do it when its cold. Got in the truck this morning and quiet as a churck mouse, then after driving for about 45 mins, it has the horrible screech. Heres the video.

8.5" Pro Comp lift
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Old 08-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Try lubing every pivot point you can find (under dash) If that does not work you have to pull the tranny.
DENNY

Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 PM

If it gets worse after driving I would bet its under the bell housing, whatever the problem is. Things inside the cab should not get hot.
DENNY

Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I'm guessing the throwout bearing is going bad. Also the fingers on the pressure plate are probably dry causing the screeching when they move across the face of the bearing. I'd recommend you pull the tranny and replace the clutch and throwout bearing.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

well, sounds like either way the tranny will have to be pulled; I don't have the knowledge when it comes to tranny to pull it out and then diagnose so I'll have to take it to the tranny shop; what could I expect to pay out the door for clutch and throw out bearing replacement??? possibly pilot bearing too...?

8.5" Pro Comp lift
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 AM

I had a similar noise back in the day. I don't remember exactly what I lubed up, but it was one of the friction points under the dash. I remember pulling the spring on the pedal and lubing the ends where it rubs against the holder...that was after I lubed the various pivot points. Bottom line, it's probably something related to the pedal assembly.

Have a helper stick their head under the dash and then under the truck to confirm where the noise is coming from. My $0.02 says it's coming from the pedal assembly.

2002 F250 XLT 4WD SC SB with 6 Speed and Manual Shift Transfer Case. Pillar pod-o-gauges, Warn Premium Hubs, AIS, Fumoto, Edge 3 leveling kit on the front (with adjustable track bar), 4 blocks on the rear, Eaton Posi, Bilstein 5100s and 285 X 75 X 16 BFG MTs all around. Oil pan coated with POR-15. Fleetrite ELC and Dieselsite coolant filter (plus new water pump). New O-Rings on the injectors.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

if it was from the pedal assembly, wouldn't it always do it? my noise only comes when the tranny is nice and warmed up, and sounds like metal on metal almost

8.5" Pro Comp lift
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM

You would think so but it is worth taking a can of silicone spray and hitting any moving part outside of the tranny.
DENNY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in