'99 7.3L powerstroke. chip or no chip - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By boracay
  • 1 Post By RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'99 7.3L powerstroke. chip or no chip

Have had a stock 7.3 diesel for about ten years with 145 k mileage. Have avoided putting a chip in as some of my buddies have. I believe if it was that much for help for mileage and torque Ford would have installed it. Anybody else thank that or am I being stubborn???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margesdiamond View Post
Anybody else thank that or am I being stubborn???
Yep. Ford downgraded the torque/HP of this motor. They believed it was too much for the everyday user to handle. Remember, this is the same motor International uses in things like school buses. A chip may not greatly improve your mileage - it makes the truck way too much fun to drive like grandma would. It will however awaken the sleeping giant under your hood. Tunes like the ones from Jody at DP-Tuner allow your engine to perform like it was designed to.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM

My Photos: (7)
Actually Ford upped the HP but lowered the torque from the International version.

To answer the OP, what Ford did was produce a power level that could be run in a safe manner with little or no attention to detail by the operator. While a slight increase in MPG's is possible from a chip, you'll have to drive a lot of miles to see a return on your investment.

Now a chip like DP mentioned above will make the truck a whole lot more fun to drive and probably run circles around your buddies stuff since I'm guessing they just have off the shelf units.

Of course if you want to add power to the truck, it's wise to install a set of gauges so you can monitor things. You'll also want to upgrade your intake and exhaust to help the truck breathe better.

Chris
2002 F350 6-speed 444 CID. XLT, Heated Seat, 500,000 & counting.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM

I like the versatility of the programmer I have, as well as the gauge pod that monitors function. Besides, she can get with program when you want 'er to!

God bless
Robert

1999 F-350 7.3 Super Duty Dually
5" Exhaust, Edge Juice Controller
Tymar Intake
Bilsteins
350K (so far)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
Actually Ford upped the HP but lowered the torque from the International version.
While that is "technically" true - HP and torque are directly related and they really downgraded them both. The truth is the International makes 238 HP max at 2300 RPM. It is rev limited at 2600 RPM. Ford's program makes 275 HP max at 2800 RPM. That't for all you people who like to go 70 down the highway in 3rd gear and no TQ lockup I guess...

The real seat of the pants numbers are torque. International gets up to 620 ft/lbs at 1400 RPM while ford is still at 525 at 1600 RPM.

So, I wouldn't say Ford upped the HP as much as they upped the rev limiter. And we all know how fun these trucks can be at max RPM...

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
While that is "technically" true - HP and torque are directly related and they really downgraded them both.
I see your point. Without studying the actual graphs, I won't argue.

Chris
2002 F350 6-speed 444 CID. XLT, Heated Seat, 500,000 & counting.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM

in my onion the stock tune slow and sluggish , i heard so much hype about about gobs of power and so on . what i got was a turbo lag prone, slow moving dinosaur .dp tune 80 economy- #1 got rid of all turbo lag and made it so its not a lazy dog . has not helped my fuel economy any but has not hurt it any either , also did the exhaust and filter mod and gauges for safety
BroncoGlenn likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM

I have the DP tuner that Jody produces and i think its a great addition to any ford powerstroke engine. It gives the truck a more responsive go pedal, also helps when im towing my toybox it allows me to get off the line a little bit quicker. havent really noticed much in the way of Fuel economy being better but it hasnt hurt it either. All in all im a very satisfied customer and reccomend the DP TUNER to anyone whose has a Powerstroke. I mean for the money its a great thing to have even if you only use it once, or you use it every weekend like i do.

1999 F-350 Dually 7.3 diesel lifted 8.5inches 37x13.50 xtream all terrains
Just Installed a DP Tuner F-5 chip, with stock, Decel, 60 Hp Tow, 80 HP econo and 120 HP performance and WOW!!! k&n airfilter Road Armor front bumber Warn 15000 winch Shift Kit, Beefier tourqe converter. Kenwood Indash Navigation, Sirius Radio, Back up camera, Kodiak Electric Steps HID Conversion Kit..

Next up is Gears!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get a TS chip so your not locked into just 1 tuner, IMO best tuner for a 7.3 is TW but and tuner can put custom tunes on a TS chip.

You wil need guages and its advised to have intake and exhaust mods to get the best HP and MPG gains.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Chip it. Whenever I put mine on stock for service I make it about 5 miles after to reprogram it. Just keep the boost down and you wont hurt it. If you buy a nicer one like bully dog or edge it will have a digital screen for Trans temp, Boost, Exhaust temp, and sometimes some more stuff. you can change them on the fly vs. having the truck off and waiting 5 min. I have a super chips one but Ive been looking at new ones. I think Im going to go with one made by KT performance. You pick your own 6 tunes.

99 7.3 long box extended cab, Chip, Intake, 5" turbo back pipe, Firestone bags and pump, hide away goose neck hitch, Fuel cell, Tool Box, Incubus Rims, and I just put on the Warn Hubs... Just replace them even if there good still. Best ever.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 AM

Having it chipped will make it much more pleasurable to drive. As stated above, go with something like DP or TS chips. Dont waste your money on Edge or bullydog. They dont deliver anywhere near the performance they promise, do it right the first time and get a good chip. Also, dont buy the tuner unless you have gauges to go along with it.

My truck had an edge when i bought it, i drove it for a month and was disgusted with it. Went to DP and never looked back. 80 econ everyday and a 60 tow for hauling our two jeeps from so cal to Moab, Ut. The difference between the edge and DP is night and day.

03 F250 Lariat 7.3 4x4 CC SB, Autometer Pyro,Boost,Trans, DP F5 80 Econ, 80 Tow, 60 Tow, Decel, 120 Race, Tymar intake, 5 in MBRP, Garrett GTP38R, Stage 1's, Terminator HPOP
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 PM

What is a DP chip

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
RT

A tuner from http://www.dp-tuner.com They have a F5 and F6 chip. The difference is the F6 allows you to buy additional tunes later on and load them yourself at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capps.charlie View Post
What is a DP chip

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
As RT stated, it is a performance chip from us. They are switch on the fly and allow you to have up to 16 different tunes. We offer anything from Heavy Tow, to Daily Driver, to all out Extreme tunes.

If you are interested, feel free to contact me. I would gladly help you out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 PM

My Photos: (8)
Very little if any mpg can be gained by a chip. Power is another story. If you are happy with the performance stay stock your tranny will be happy you did.
DENNY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in