The Diesel Stop banner

Additional transmission cooling options for E-350 7.3L

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  van_350sd 
#1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I don’t think there’s room up front in the vans for the popular 6.0 cooler upgrade so before I cut into one of the hard lines and splice in an auxiliary cooler I was considering the Derale 14208 pan cooler. With the extra fluid capacity and integrated cooling tubes perhaps it will help.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I bought a cooler from NAPA and installed it on my truck 12 years ago, and it's never had an issue or let me down. The cooler mounted in front of the radiator (pretty easily). I spray painted it black to match the radiator. The cooling line spliced in with no issues, and are tucked in on the passenger side bottom of the motor. I've used the truck to haul our 30 ft TT up to Iowa and Nebraska in the middle of summer, and have never had overheating issues. I had my trusted mechanic double check everything I had done, and he gave it 2 thumbs up. An alternative to the 6.0 cooler.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

#4 ·
I installed the Derale pan last year. From my experience it's worth it. last week I went up to Sedona (the high country) and pushed it hard in 100*+ temps and never saw Trans temps above 190*. I wasn't under load however but was running one of my hottest tunes.

#5 ·
Upgrading the oil to air cooler sounds like a great idea I think the one that is in there is about as big as can fit on the van. I could always add an additional oil to air cooler if the larger pan doesn’t work out.

I like the idea of the pan because it wouldn’t involve modifying anything else in the cooling system and isn’t too expensive.

Online reviews indicate that it is worth it so thanks for confirming your experience with it too. Extra fluid couldn’t hurt even if the air cooling tubes don’t work at all.

My only concern with the extra cooling be it from the pan or better oil to air cooling is that unless I plan to bypass the oil to water system built into the radiator doesn’t that mean that the fluid will rarely if ever drop below engine temp over time which will be 200-210 degrees normally?

#6 ·
If you bypass the cooler in the radiator you're going to overheat the transmission. The radiator cooler does most of the transmission cooling. Even with a "cooling" pan (which I don't believe will help cool the trans at all) you can't afford the cooling loss you will have by removing the best cooler in your van.

Reactions: jleedog
#8 ·
Thanks for your reply Mark. Since I posted I’ve also seen some of your other replies on similar transmission cooling threads. I understand how effective and important the oil to water cooling system is and I want to keep it. I would like to know what you think about adding in a second oil to air cooler downstream of the oil to air cooler mounted in front.

I was considering adding one by splicing into the return line and mounting it underneath the box. I do a lot of towing and sometimes up steep grades and in hot weather I’m interested in keeping the transmission as cool as I can to preserve its life.

Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
Last July I installed the Deraele deep pan on my 2000 7.3 SD. Pulling my 38ft TT through the mountains of W.Va. in the heat of August I never had the trans temp go over 200 while I was maintaining highway speed. I know it helped keep the oil cool as before the swap my oil would reach some questionable temps. I will add I also use Mobile 1 full synthetic oil. Transmission had 239,000+ miles on it last year.

#9 ·
Adding a second cooler after the radiator cooler can potentially reduce your transmission cooling. A third cooler adds restriction, and that can open to cooler bypass valve. This will reduce the flow to the coolers, reducing your cooling.

Under the vehicle coolers are not very effective. The air under the vehicle is hot, and you can't cool something with hot air. The best thing to do is to replace the stock cooler with a better one. I think I've seen threads where people have installed the 6.0L cooler in an E-Series. If that won't fit, there are aftermarket coolers that are not as large but are better than the stock cooler.

#11 ·
I had an 2013 E350 Class C with the V10. The tranny would run hot around town on a hot day. The tranny fluid/air cooler is tiny and behind the Ford emblem. I installed a 6.0 Ford tranny cooler in place of the smaller one. Helped immensely. Put it in front of the a/c cooler which is probably not advisable but didn't seem to hurt the a/c performance. Have to do a little fab work and use your immagination but it will fit.

#12 ·
40k cooler fits in the vans

Several of us 7.3L van owners use the cooler Bob or amazon sells and it's rated at 40K, mine is great.

can't beat the price.

TRU-COOL 4739

https://www.dieselsite.com/specialordertru-cool4739transmissioncooler.aspx

Remove the factory small cooler and install this one. I have the Mag Hytec trans pan and it adds about 2 extra gallons of fluid I think it is. I would not paint the fins on any cooler myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.