AIR/FUEL SEPARATION SYSTEM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blue99stroker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AIR/FUEL SEPARATION SYSTEM

Considering putting in an AIR/FUEL SEPARATION SYSTEM and wondering what everyones thoughts are on them. Are they truly worth the $700.00 long and short term? I've heard they improve performance/HP and save wear on injectors.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 PM

No gains, the pumps aren’t very reliable at 60 psi

If you want to solve the air issue you need to do the hutch mod.

It gets rid of the in tank filters and moves the return away from the feed
mcnance865 likes this.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 PM

My Photos: (8)
I would agree with Blue99stroker. Once you do the hutch mod (harpoon while the tank is down) you have fixed the foot issue that a air/fuel separation system does not address. I would also do a fuel return system to get air out of the heads. I would not expect to see any real MPG increase with any of the mods, just a better running/dependable engine.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:32 PM

Blue99stroker has it right.

Just do the hutch Mod, then a full regulated return system, and install pre- and post-pump filtration. This is as good as it gets for these trucks, and will remove any air in the system you need to worry about.

I did an "ITP" in-tank mod's waaay back, then did my own pump/filter setup. It has been in and working for over 10 years. The primary filter block is NAPA unit, and the secondary is from a Cat (has an air bleed valve built-in). Fab'd up the mounting brackets out of aluminum, bolted through frame-rail, and mounted/plumbed the pump in between. Supply line to the engine is -6 Aeroquip TFE hose. The return line from the engine to the tank utilizes the factory steel line.

In addition, I moved the pump back about 3-4 feet (right in front of the tank) so it's not pulling the fuel so far through the puny stock 5/16" line (lots of restriction). Used 3/8-inch "push-lock" line and inverted-flare fittings from the tank to the first filter (only about 30").

It ain't fancy, but it works great...

Posted about the filtering here: https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/4641346-post9.html

~Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filters&Pump2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	125608  

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys. Very helpful information. Hutch mod it is then with a Beans sump.

Jared
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:19 PM

If you want full kits, look at Irate Diesel Full Fuel system. I think BD Diesel makes one as well.

2000 F-250 4x4 SuperCab Short Bed 7.3 w/ 280,xxx mi - 4" Pro Comp - Redhead - 37x12.50x17 BFG A/T KO - 3.73 Gears - CTS2 - Hydra - FFD 238cc/80%
KC38r 366 - Adrenaline - Irate Fuel System w/ Sump - 4"Exhaust - K&N CAI w/ S&B Filter - FFD Bellowed Up Pipes - AIH Plug - RiffRaff Plenums & Boot Kit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 AM

No need for a sump. The hutch mod goes to the bottom of the tank.

I’m around 400hp with the stock setup and i maintain fuel pressure under load.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Fuel system mods

This was a very popular topic back in 01 and 02. My new 02 truck was quite noisy had a sound like someone taping on a coffee can at idle. So I have done it all, Hutch Mod, DAHL pre pump water separator and filter, Regulated return, changing out the #8 LL injector for an AD and a return to tank fuel cooler. From a noise perspective he most effective thing that actually had positive results was the Regulated Return system, but one should be aware that it drastically increases return to tank fuel temps. Opinions differ because the variables are seasonal as well tank levels. In Alabama summers at 1/4 tank on the interstate my tank temps would get to 170F, with the cooler I rarely see more than mid 130's F. I choose to cool it down, many don't. But at least in cold climates with a RR your wont have to worry about cold fuel as much.
If one does the Hutch mod, which I would again, it's a given you will need a pre pump filter. Get a good system like the poster above has, or one like mine a DAHL 100 and get some additional benefit of actual water removal from fuel, it's in there and the stock filter assembly is worthless.
I probably would not change the #8 LL injector unless I was in there for something else, it made no difference for me except the 250 bucks and sore back.
It was about this time that many people were making mods in their systems that produced entrained air and that seemed to give birth to the air seperators, dang they have always been expensive. I really don't see the need.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in