air separator to mitigate pickup issues? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
air separator to mitigate pickup issues?

My early 99 f250 has the issue with the pickup assembly in the tank. I cant run below 1/4 tank or I risk a really crappy running engine. I really am not in a position to drop the tank and do this work right now.

I was wondering, would adding a water/air separator like the FASS or Airdog products mitigate this problem? I presume this is a lot of air being introduced so wondering if these sorts of products can keep up.

Also wondering if there is a "cheap" option I could go with that I could buy on the used market.

thanks

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
You really need to fix the problem at the source instead of adding a band-aid (and an expensive one at that). What happens when there's more air than the Air-Dog can handle. It can't draw more fuel from the tank if the path of least resistance is the source of air.

Drop the tank and eliminate the auxiliary input valve on the upper portion of the pickup foot. You can buy a kit to do the in-tank mods or pick up the material locally (stainless steel instrument tubing - try the Parker Store if there's one near you). Instructions are available on-line to do the mod. Dropping the tank isn't that big a project with proper planning.

Just my 2 cents worth.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
You really need to fix the problem at the source instead of adding a band-aid (and an expensive one at that). What happens when there's more air than the Air-Dog can handle. It can't draw more fuel from the tank if the path of least resistance is the source of air.

Drop the tank and eliminate the auxiliary input valve on the upper portion of the pickup foot. You can buy a kit to do the in-tank mods or pick up the material locally (stainless steel instrument tubing - try the Parker Store if there's one near you). Instructions are available on-line to do the mod. Dropping the tank isn't that big a project with proper planning.

Just my 2 cents worth.
What about the sump's you can install by drilling a hole in the bottom? At least I wouldnt have to go into the tank.. Will still need to lower it (although I saw one guy did it without lowering)..

thanks.. Im just trying to figure out how I can do it while living in a campground.. I cant be pulling my tank in the middle of a campground, I'll get booted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:22 PM

My Photos: (8)
Just don't let the tank get below 1/3. I drove mine for six months with a broken foot until I got around to fixing it. Good chance it was broken for longer than that because I usually fill when I get to 1/4 tank. I agree with Kevin once you start sucking air you may not have enough fuel to run properly even with the Air-Dog.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
Just don't let the tank get below 1/3. I drove mine for six months with a broken foot until I got around to fixing it. Good chance it was broken for longer than that because I usually fill when I get to 1/4 tank. I agree with Kevin once you start sucking air you may not have enough fuel to run properly even with the Air-Dog.
DENNY
Im aware of the 1/3 rule.. its just that I may need pull my 5th wheel across country if I find a job out that way and Id like to have my truck running right. Once it get air in the system it cant be healthy for the fuel system to have to work it all out. a sump mod is like $150. Sinister sells one as well as many others.. just not sure if it will be ok with a stock lift pump. Problem is there is a ton of fuel in there at 1/4 tank and Im not sure where Id go with it all. I suppose 2 5 gallon buckets from lowes might be enough. Probably 3.

Id need to install a cheap debris filter I guess if I wasnt running a fass or airdog. And then there is always the question of what is on the bottom of a 20 year old diesel tank.

Really wish I had a garage again.. one day!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Im just trying to figure out how I can do it while living in a campground.. I cant be pulling my tank in the middle of a campground, I'll get booted.
LOL, Just drape a blue tarp around the truck and tell them it's so the critters can't get underneath, then do it at night. Or drive over to a Walmart and do it in their parking lot. You'll be done before they figure out what's going on.
I suppose you could cut a hole in the bottom and repair the foot, but but you'd have trouble doing a proper fix from the bottom, and then you'd have to seal up the hole. Dropping the tank isn't that big a deal.

I just returned from a 12,500 mile trip from Alaska, around the western states and back up to Alaska. I don't think you'd have trouble finding fuel to avoid going below 1/3 full. We never had to look that far for fuel. Even though I have the in-tank mod done, I did let it get pretty low a few times to avoid higher prices.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM

My Photos: (8)
Put a clean hose on the fuel filter drain, run jumper wire to fuel pump, open drain and run fuel into 5 gal fuel can. Once it is full close drain, dump fuel in friends diesel truck tank. This will get the tank pretty low. Use a floor jack with a pice of plywood or 2x6/2x8 to help lower/raise tank. Bottom line is you need to find a buddy with a driveway/shop to work in or pay someone to do it. Between the fuel you dump in the truck and a case of beer someone should be willing to let you use a driveway. You will have to clean stuff out of the tank (foot parts) I would also do the harpoon mod while you are at it, takes 5 min and lets you add another 3-4 gal at fillip. Do a search on the Hutch and poon mods.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
LOL, Just drape a blue tarp around the truck and tell them it's so the critters can't get underneath, then do it at night. Or drive over to a Walmart and do it in their parking lot. You'll be done before they figure out what's going on.
I suppose you could cut a hole in the bottom and repair the foot, but but you'd have trouble doing a proper fix from the bottom, and then you'd have to seal up the hole. Dropping the tank isn't that big a deal.

I just returned from a 12,500 mile trip from Alaska, around the western states and back up to Alaska. I don't think you'd have trouble finding fuel to avoid going below 1/3 full. We never had to look that far for fuel. Even though I have the in-tank mod done, I did let it get pretty low a few times to avoid higher prices.
I agree, its just that I will really only be able to fuel at truck stops with a 32ft fth. But you are right.. should be fine.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM

For more information, Google Hutch and Harpoon mods.

1999.5 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 LWB 2" SuperLift, AIS, Gooseneck Hitch, Zoodad, South Texas Outfitters Bumpers, Autoenginuity, 295/75/16 Toyo AT/II's American Eagle wheels, 4 gauge overhead

2002 F250 2X4 CC SWB (Wife's) Stock except for AIS filter and Gooseneck Hitch
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Put in your signature the city and state where you are located, and possibly someone will say, "Oh, you live not too far from me. I know of a place where you could perform those repairs in exchange for 5 or 10 gallons of diesel and a case of beer."

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in