Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter - Anyone use? Results? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter - Anyone use? Results?

Been checking into either the FS-2500 or the Amsoil bypass kit. The Amsoil kit is half the cost.

Any results to share with the Amsoil kit? I am planning to go synthetic and longer drains for multiple reasons, but wanted to check with this forum on results // positive // negatives of both.

Thanks!

CH

2001 F250 SC LWB 4WD 7.3L Auto - 143K - 17 to 19 MPG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F350 CC LB 4WD 6.0L Lariat G/N Hitch 4285mi - 1 Turbo Trashed 1600mi, MetaL in Oil, Bad instrument cluster - significant oil leak - Sold at a Loss!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 Ford F250 4WD 460 4 Spd BW T18 Dana 60's Motor Not Stock
7 MPG....

Too Many other Ford Trucks to List but My First was a 1958 F100 2WD 3spd 240 cid Six....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 PM

My Photos: (17)
Re: Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter - Anyone use? Results?

There have been many reports of folks having increased wear with the remote oil filtration setup from Amsoil. Their bypass filter is fine but the one that replaces and moves the OEM full flow filter to a remote location has had issues. Too many have reported this to be a coincidence. I am happy with the Oilguard filters myself.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2Ķ Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203ļ T-stat, Chevron ELC, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds but otherwise stock.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM

I have had the Amsoil by-pass filter since my truck was new. I have never changed the oil (105,000 mi.) I do the oil samples every 20,000 mi. All the results have been perfect. On the last results they reccomended changing both filters. I have had to change the full flow filters in the past, I also have the Amsoil Air Filter and the silica levels have been good as well. The only problem I have had is the first filters I had would seep oil, since they were changed it quit. Also the drain cock leaks oil as well, I changed that to a ball valve and its fine.
The oil on the dip stick is black but you can see through it, not like the muddy color that you normally see. I do have to top off the oil (1/2 quart) every 6,000 mi. since it was new. If you have your oil changed at Wally Mart for $54.00 a time it would pay for itself by the time you had 6 oilchanges.I'm very pleased with this system.

Y2K PSD, CC SWB Lariat, Trailer Tow, Dual Alt, AIC, Amsoil Bypass Filter, Harpooned, Coolant Filter, 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Saginaw Power Steering Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM

I sit big eyed with popcorn in hand.........

We need better smileys on here.

: Early '99 F350 CC LWB 4X4

Annoy A Liberal
Work Hard, Succeed, Live Happy!

Family of 5 saved by Grace.....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Haul_n_Horses and Tornado - THanks!

I was only going to do the bypass, as I don't want to relo the full flow, and want to keep the bypass in the engine compartment. I have seen installs under the truck, but don't really want to do that.

I change my own oil now, at 5K, with dino and filter runs me 48 bucks now [couple years back was 34].

Tornando - I assume you are running synthetic? What brand and wieght?

Sounds like the additive package is holding up well, how about the TBN? THe HEUI system in PSD does tend to shear the viscosity.

Thanks, CH

2001 F250 SC LWB 4WD 7.3L Auto - 143K - 17 to 19 MPG

2006 F350 CC LB 4WD 6.0L Lariat G/N Hitch 4285mi - 1 Turbo Trashed 1600mi, MetaL in Oil, Bad instrument cluster - significant oil leak - Sold at a Loss!

1979 Ford F250 4WD 460 4 Spd BW T18 Dana 60's Motor Not Stock
7 MPG....

Too Many other Ford Trucks to List but My First was a 1958 F100 2WD 3spd 240 cid Six....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM

No problems with mine easy install, no leaks, motor smoothed out ever so slightly, if you didnt know ur truck like the back of ur hand you prob. wouldnt notice. just make your own mounting bracket the one they send you stinks!!

02' Crew Lariat 4x4 swb/Full built motor & heads/ BTS Trans./BTS Hpop/BTS 5 pos. chip/Moded H2E/B Codes/F.a.s.s 150/DI Reg. fuel/NOS/6.0 Trans Cooler/Afe Stage 2/Full 4"MBRP Muff. Delete/Autometer Gauges/4" Skyjacker w/18"on 35"/BDS s.s Shocks w/DIY front dual.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM

FS2500 is an excellent system. I have the highest mileage PSD equipped with the FS2500. The system has been on the 4X4 since the first oil change at 4,000 miles. The PSD has 690,000 miles presently. The FS2500 performs exactly as stated. I had the FS2500 on a Cummins ISC for almost 300,000, it saved time, money, and kept the oil very clean. My 4X2 is also equipped with a FS2500. There are other good products, but I only trust My motors equipped with a FS2500. My BTS trannys are FS2500 protected.

Sold 02 F350 Lariat CrewCab Toreador Red/ Silver DRW LB AT 4X4 4.10 gears, BTS custom chip, and tranny. built BTS and Ford Tough! 859,532 miles

SOLD: 02 F350 Lariat CC Toreador Red, DRW AT 4.10 gears, BTS custom chip, and Tranny 214,550 miles,Built BTS, and Ford Tough!
Sold 94 F350 XLT SC DI DRW 5Speed 314,000

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95
Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Coolhand , I am running the 15W 40 synthetic with the remote mount, I agree with peterfraef250 the Amsoil bracket is cheesy, I made my own.

Y2K PSD, CC SWB Lariat, Trailer Tow, Dual Alt, AIC, Amsoil Bypass Filter, Harpooned, Coolant Filter, 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Saginaw Power Steering Pump
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:59 AM

I use amsoil products with no problems at all. everything works awsome so far.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM

I am 210K+ using AMSOIL BK 16 BY PASS filters System w/o any problems.
I use AMSOIL Series 3000 5W-30 oil since new (see sig) The first Amsoil was accidently drained by an oil tech @ 160K I am now on my second oil change w/o any problems.
I change my full flow filter every 20K and thinking about just doing once per year filter changes since i ONLY DRIVE ABOUT 25K per year down from 40K.

Ken

2006 Lariat Chrome Edtion Red F350 CC 4X4 Dually w/4:10 Gears Born 04/26/06 w/ color matching speedliner, PCM Reprogramed to Level "L",@ 24,535 miles AMSOIL Front to Back, AMSOIL By Pass Filter BMK-11, Amsoil Coolant Nitrogen in all 6 tires @ 75 PSI W/ 34.2 x 102" wide Coachman Royal TT.

Gone but not forgotten 2001 ďXĒ 7 years / 218K w7.3
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
Been checking into either the FS-2500 or the Amsoil bypass kit. The Amsoil kit is half the cost.

Any results to share with the Amsoil kit? I am planning to go synthetic and longer drains for multiple reasons, but wanted to check with this forum on results // positive // negatives of both.

Thanks!

CH
I have been using Amsoil Synthetic marine diesel motor oil and their filter by-pass system for 4 years in my boat and had nothing but problems until one of the by-pass filterís seal blew out and emptied the motor of its oil. On the very first oil lab sample report the lab noted that the motor was producing a high content of lead and tin. This suggested that my bearings were wearing at an extraordinary rate and I should remove the Synthetic oil and replace it with Dino oil. I called Amsoil to discuss the labís findings and got a runaround saying that the labs report was too low to be a problem. I continued to use Amsoil for another 3 oil changes and continued to receive the same results; high lead and tin each time.

I finally replaced the Amsoil Synthetic marine diesel motor oil with Rotella T Dino oil and the lab reports started to come back normal. However, I continued to use their By-pass filter system with their expensive filters because I thought the concept was solid, BIG mistake. After using the by-pass filter system for another 4 years in my boat with out any problems until one day out on the water on plane the motorís RPM suddenly dropped to half and then died. I turned around to see a quarter mile by 30-foot wide oil slick behind me. I opened the hatch to the motor only to find that everything was covered with oil. I was afraid that the hot motor would ignite all that oil and make a ugly situation even worse with the 4 people on board so I stood ready with the fire extenuators and had everyone use PFDs until SeaTow arrived.

I reported the problem to amsoil and once more the runaround, I explained the filter failure to them and offered to send them the failed filter, they claimed this is the first time they have heard of this issue and said that I must have not had the filter on tight enough. I advised them that they were wrong because it took my son and I to get it off and when we did we found that the seal was out of the grove and pushed over one third of the way around the mating surfaces of the filter. Then the Amsiol rep reversed his comment and said I had the filter on too tight, canít win for loosing with them they have an answer for everything.

The boat is at the Yanmar dealerís boat yard having the motor pulled and taken apart to get a better idea of what parts were damaged and need to be replaced. Needless to say that was an expensive effort to preserve a costly marine motor I would have been better off using the original Yanmar single filter. If I get out of this for under $15k I will consider it a lesion money canít buyÖ. leave well enough alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in