Analog gauges or Edge CTS2? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Analog gauges or Edge CTS2?

Going to order some gauges in the next few days and was also wondering about an Edge CTS or CTS2 instead of the 3 gauge pod.

For a 2002 F350, how accurate is the transmission temperature and boost data coming from the OBDII port that the Edge uses? Is the problem with the factory transmission temp gauge simply the gauge itself and not the reading of the stock temp sender or where it is located? Don't know how valuable boost data is in general driving conditions other than for identifying possible problems.

I understand for the Edge I'll still need to add an EGT.

Appeal of the Edge is the extra data it provides. The expansion of a backup camera is nice, but much more expensive compared to standalone options ($200 vs $60) However, I guess the Edge could still accept video input from another source? Does the 2002 model year truck send gear information to allow the automatic backup camera of the Edge?

Gauge pod setup is about $489
Edge w/ EGT is $463 + $50 for a dash pod. So a difference of about $24.

Given my desire to hang on to this truck, I'm still looking at purchasing AutoEnginuity. Will the Edge pretty much take care of all that I would otherwise need that software for?

Glenn

2002 F-350/XLT/PSD/SRW/CC/LB/4x4OR/Auto 233k miles
Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM

What a coincidence, I just did the CTS 2 on my 02 F350 . lol..
I did get the EGT and even a additional expandable kit for more on the drive train.

This is a nice set up !

I have a full set of gauges in my 00' F550 and I like this so much that I may add a monitor also to pick up on some accessories that I am adding to that truck.

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
What a coincidence, I just did the CTS 2 on my 02 F350 . lol..
I did get the EGT and even a additional expandable kit for more on the drive train.

This is a nice set up !

I have a full set of gauges in my 00' F550 and I like this so much that I may add a monitor also to pick up on some accessories that I am adding to that truck.
Thanks. I keep looking at the analog gauges in an overhead console and like the look of them. But then I look at the Edge Insight systems and they just give me so much more data. And I can set an audible alarm on them as well.

From what I can tell Edge has additional sensors available that can be connected to give additional info such as independent boost or tranny temp gauges as well as fuel pressure, without having to add additional pods.

While more expensive than cheap gauges, it is right in line with the higher end gauges.

Saw a forum thread elsewhere that some folks were successfully using some cheapo <$20 Chi-Com cameras for back-up cameras with the unit, so apparently it will work with other video sources for the back-up camera and not just the Edge solution. So I can have one clean integrated console.

Screw it; maybe it's the bourbon talking but I'm gonna hit the buy it now button. That and the 6 months of no interest on paypal made it too easy.

Hopefully it works out for me. Worst case scenario I return it or sell it off for analog gauges, which, near as I can tell the only advantage they have is purely an aesthetic standpoint. But they do look cool.

Glenn

Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 AM

My Photos: (0)
I was of the same sentiment initially; I've always liked the look of analog gauges but you can't beat the Edge with everything is offers; I went with the CS2 and love it so far; you can set the gauges up how you want, and what gauges you display; I like the userability of it much more than analog gauges...although the quad pillar gauge pods do look amazing

2000 F350 4X4 XLT CCLB SRW 7.3L ZF6
8.5" Pro Comp lift
16x12 M/T Classic IIIs with 38x15.50 Toyo Open Country M/T rubber
Riffraff Diesel 6637 intake, CCV mod, HPX, AIH delete, CAC boots/clamps/plenum inserts
Riffraff Diesel Coolant Filtration System, Billet Thermostat Housing
MBRP 4" SS straight exhaust
LuK clutch kit
Edge CS2 programmer
VIAIR on-board compressor w/Kleinn air horns
Amp Research Power Steps
2016 tailgate conversion
Iron Cross bumpers w/Rigid Dually LEDs
DeeZee tool box
Gooseneck hide-a-hitch
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:36 AM

To answer your tranny temp question, my difference between my Scangauge that reads OBD and my analog gauge that my isspro temp sensor reads is usually less than 5-10 degrees Boost readings are close but OBD is not as quick to respond.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM

Last edited by jleedog; 09-30-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the Edge unit and and got it hooked up. Drilled and tapped my EGT port the other day and just stuck a brass plug in it until the EGT arrived. Then it was simply a matter of screwing the EGT in and running the wire through the firewall plate (drilled a hole just large enough to accommodate the wire then cut a slit to slide it into there) plugged into the ODB port and cable tied the wires all up under the dash. Probably about 30 minutes or so.

Even after watching a number of videos on the youtube I really didn't appreciate just how much information it can display. IPR cycles, pressures, battery voltage, and a number of other things. Never truly realized just what I was missing until after just a few minutes of playing with the thing. Should have done this a long time ago.

Glenn

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoGlenn View Post
Got the Edge unit and and got it hooked up. Drilled and tapped my EGT port the other day and just stuck a brass plug in it until the EGT arrived. Then it was simply a matter of screwing the EGT in and running the wire through the firewall plate (drilled a hole just large enough to accommodate the wire then cut a slit to slide it into there) plugged into the ODB port and cable tied the wires all up under the dash. Probably about 30 minutes or so.

Even after watching a number of videos on the youtube I really didn't appreciate just how much information it can display. IPR cycles, pressures, battery voltage, and a number of other things. Never truly realized just what I was missing until after just a few minutes of playing with the thing. Should have done this a long time ago.
You all make is so hard to decide. Right now I feel I want 3 gauges but the Edge does give alot more and is move-able...ugh to many choices!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
You all make is so hard to decide. Right now I feel I want 3 gauges but the Edge does give alot more and is move-able...ugh to many choices!
Another nice feature with the Edge Insight system is you can set alarm points so at certain temps or readings it will start beeping at you. I didn't expect my EGTs to get above1250 when I was pulling a small 2k lb trailer and passing a U-haul, but they did and it let me know.

But what I really like about the Edge system is yet to come for me. They offer a backup camera with night vision (or you can connect to most other cameras) that interfaces with the CTS2 display. They also offer a turbo timer that allows you to easily connect a harness to your truck to keep it running to a preset temp (or time duration) after you pull the key and walk away. I've got these two add-ons on the Christmas list.

While I think the analog gauges look better, I feel the Edge CTS2 system is more useful.

Glenn

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM

I am totally happy with my edge. It is easy to use with plenty of options.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in