ATS trans. question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATS trans. question

So, looks like the stocker is finally about ready to retire. Hasn't run hot yet and isn't slipping, but got it serviced about a week ago and found about a 3" long piece of clutch in the pan w/ some metal shavings. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

Odds are I'm going to be getting an ATS but was wondering about the converters. I know they have the regular triple lock and then they have the new 5 star. What are the differences in the two and which should I be using for my application (drag racing)? I know someone in another post said there's a bunch of slots in the 5 star. What are those for?

Guess I'll be able to do a BD/ATS converter comparison here shortly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew-cab short-bed automatic, lots of stuff from DI Performance (Diesel Innovations)713/984-9441, Terminator hpop, ATS trans, and some good help from Chris Pitre at Pitre Automotive of Lafayette, LA 337/945-8049 (and a few other great sponsors) pm me for any details; Best time on 37's = 13.09 @ 102mph, #2 only;12.18 @ 111.71mph on Da Juice

Current Project: '86 Toyota regular cab, full tube chassis, fully built 7.3 Diesel Innovations Powerstroke engine and Terminator hpos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:09 AM

My Photos: (2)
Re: ATS trans. question

Danny, Nate ans I were talking this morning and think you should call BD just for giggles and see if they might sponsor you a tranny. I mean come on... who else has done what you have done with a BD? If not, go with ATS.

Worth a try. Whats the worst they can say? No?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)

True, true. Something to consider. I may send 'em an e-mail.

2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew-cab short-bed automatic, lots of stuff from DI Performance (Diesel Innovations)713/984-9441, Terminator hpop, ATS trans, and some good help from Chris Pitre at Pitre Automotive of Lafayette, LA 337/945-8049 (and a few other great sponsors) pm me for any details; Best time on 37's = 13.09 @ 102mph, #2 only;12.18 @ 111.71mph on Da Juice

Current Project: '86 Toyota regular cab, full tube chassis, fully built 7.3 Diesel Innovations Powerstroke engine and Terminator hpos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM

My Photos: (0)

I like my ATS and put 6 hard months pulling and drag racing it was flawless. I was told by the ATS guys that the 5 star will handle 2k torque compared to 1700 with the triple lock and the 5 star offers a much smoother lock due to the fluid.

2001 F350 extcab 4x4 (My truck is slow)

powerstrokenation.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Cell: Questions, comments, cuss me out, 734-652-7639
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 PM

Someone said the triple lock is no longer for sale, that ATS is only selling the 5 star now. I think I saw it in Hammer's thread about the PI converter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 06:37 PM

Yep only 5 stars now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in