Banks Big Head Actuator - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:21 PM

My Photos: (38)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Banks Big Head Actuator

[ QUOTE ]
isn't running all that boost and having the comp not know it bad? I know as far as gas motors go its crutial to up fuel in times of higher boost.. what is teh difference for diesels? I know the mechanics of the engine, as I am a mechanical engineer, but why can you up boost w\o more fuel and or not breaking things

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to let go of that gasser theory. You are correct in gasser worlds, the most dangerous situation is too lean, that is why fuel has to be upped with more boost.

Diesels however accelerate by adding FUEL not air, therefore they need AIR AIR and more AIR. You could say there's really no such thing as 'too lean' with a diesel.

That it's not a major concern to the engine at elevated boost levels. It is set the defuel by the stock MAP limits is for performance/detuning and emissions reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 PM

My Photos: (0)

Any one have a link to Dennis
at ITP for the boost regulator
Do I need this mod if I get the
big head actuator my mods are
super chip program Hi per tow
4" turbo back exhaust
K&N intake
ATS housing
thanks for all the help
(in spending more$$$$) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any one have a link to Dennis
at ITP for the boost regulator
Do I need this mod if I get the
big head actuator my mods are
super chip program Hi per tow
4" turbo back exhaust
K&N intake
ATS housing
thanks for all the help
(in spending more$$$$) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 PM

Greg gave ya the link there. You'll need it, yes, if you add the Big Head... unless you grandma drive it all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

02Powerstroke, the main issue with higher boost numbers is that past around 25-27 psi the stock turbo gets outside its efficiency range, and compressing the air further than that just generates excessive heat and not much more helpful dense air. Over time the heat can damage the turbo. From what I understand, adding an ATS housing to the stocker bumps the efficiency line up some, so you can run up higher than 25 psi and still be creating efficient boost.

As for damaging the engine... well, there's a truck belonging to Wide Open Performance with compound turbos, makes up to around 100 psi from what I understand... on the STOCK PCM: no programming of any kind... yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:50 PM

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
Greg gave ya the link there. You'll need it, yes, if you add the Big Head... unless you grandma drive it all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

02Powerstroke, the main issue with higher boost numbers is that past around 25-27 psi the stock turbo gets outside its efficiency range, and compressing the air further than that just generates excessive heat and not much more helpful dense air. Over time the heat can damage the turbo. From what I understand, adding an ATS housing to the stocker bumps the efficiency line up some, so you can run up higher than 25 psi and still be creating efficient boost.

As for damaging the engine... well, there's a truck belonging to Wide Open Performance with compound turbos, makes up to around 100 psi from what I understand... on the STOCK PCM: no programming of any kind... yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need programming if you have huge injectors that spray a ton of fuel at stock pulsewidth. In fact, I've heard of instances where jody has basically built programs that less pulsewidth than stock to get better control of high flow injectors.

Hammer
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM

Hammer, does Zane's truck already have huge injectors?

edit - that's a silly question... it must! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet that's not on stock headbolts and gaskets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Woopsie... yeah, there's those small details that should be mentioned. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

But with the Big Head, we're generally talking 25-32 psi.... not 100. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 PM

My Photos: (5)

Some report good luck adjusting the OE waste gate tighter 3 to 6 turns. Some report breaking the rod while trying.
For a stock truck IMO put your $$$ elsewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need programming if you have huge injectors that spray a ton of fuel at stock pulsewidth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Priceless...Thanks....R

2001 F-250 PSD SWB CC, 3:73 Ls, 4R, PMT.
Triple hpops, 1000hp vaporware injectors, dual reg return 1" feed to each head, triple sd fuel pumps, dos turbos + 1, triple 6647 air filters, Quadruple disc T/C with elephant man transmission, 6 pos Moe betta chip stacked with banks 6 gun, edge ez and sooper chit tuner, cryo'ed PMR's, fuzzy dice a pine tree air freshener and JJ's/HC's.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 AM

My waste gate is blowing open at 22 psi. if I tighten up the rod some will this help solve my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in