Best programmer for a '2000 F250 7.3L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best programmer for a '2000 F250 7.3L

Hey y'all I'm new to this whole forum thing and to diesels, I've recently purchased a 2000 f250 and was wondering was the best programmer is for this type of motor? I have some buddies telling me to go with edge. Does a programmer also replace aftermarket guages since it can read tranny temp, turbo boost etc... this is just what I've heard. Any info on these things would help tremendously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 PM

This is a big debate are for its of people but overall you will do better getting a programmer that is custom configured for your truck than a "one-size-fits-all" type of programmer. Something like what is offered by DP Tuners, Beans Diesel, PHP, etc. is what I'd be looking at. Personally I have been very happy and impressed with DP Tuners. You'll be surprised (read "grinning") at the performance lying dormant in these motors that a good tuner can wake up into live tooth bearing action :-) Regardless of how you go an EGT gauge is the bare minimum and practically speaking really needed gauge. The others are nice to have to monitor things but the EGT gauge is what you'll be driving by to keep from harming your motor. Depending upon what you do in mods to your motor will help you decide what kind of tunes you'll want to ask for. An 80HP daily driver tune is more than enough for most folks with an unmodified motor. You can always change the tunes as you do more to your motor.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I second DP-Tuner. You can use an Edge to monitor things, but never for its programming. A better choice if you want a combination gauge display with tunes is the Infinity DX. Or, just get the tuner and get a Scangauge II to watch a few parameters. Either way, you'll need something extra for EGT as it's not monitored from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jleedog likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM

I have an edge that I use for gadges most of the time it was feee. But I would go with DP also.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM

I'll throw in a plug for php hydra.

325 bucks and comes with free php tunes.
If you want different tunes about 15 different places offer tunes for the hydra.

Tunes can be uploaded via email and it comes with a USB cable for programming.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM

+1 for the PHP Hydra. The PHP tunes offered (for free) seem to work quite well.
I also have an Edge Insight (with EGT) for monitoring.

This combination suits my needs perfectly.

2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4
CC, SRW, LB, AT
New radiator
6.0 OEM 26 row trans cooler
AIS intake
Edge Insight
Hydra with stock PHP tunes

2004 Sandpiper by Forest River - 11,000 lbs fully loaded
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
+2 on the PHP Hydra. I can run any one of up to 15 tunes with the push of a button. I owned a Superchips Programmer way back when and would not go back to a programmer over a multi-position chip.
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Very Happy With DP Tunes

I am very happy with my DP tuning and hardware. It always works! I have emailed Jody several with questions regarding upgrades and always received a prompt response, excellent customer support.

The truck is running fine @420K.
oilcan1001 likes this.

Early 99 (10/98), F-350, 2WD, CC, Dually, LB, Access Cover, ZF 6 w/South Bend 1944-60KHD clutch, 20K Reese Hitch, Ford AIS, Auto Meter Gauges, MagnFlow 3.5 DP w/4inch exhaust, Banks Big Head Wastegate Actuator, MagHytec on Dana 80, Timbrens, DP F6 (No Start, 1200 rpm, 1200 rpm/w EBV, Decel, 40T, 60T, 80T, 60E, & 80E) , 36 foot triple slide 5th wheel (15K), 403K
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fell free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our products. I can also make recommendations for you and your needs if you aren't sure what would be best for you.

You can shoot me a PM, e-mail, or phone call. Whichever you prefer.

Justin

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
Another vote for hydra.
IRONSMKIV likes this.

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM

I have an SCT livewire on my 2000 F250 7.3l. It came with 3 auto tunes and honestly it woke up my 7.3. Depending on what you want out of it. I just wanted mine to run a little smoother and with the performance tune on it I get better mpg, more hp, and my trans shifts more smooth.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Fell free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our products. I can also make recommendations for you and your needs if you aren't sure what would be best for you.

You can shoot me a PM, e-mail, or phone call. Whichever you prefer.
Im not looking for a whole lot of tunes....have 02 7.3 240k....l tow boat,cars snowmobile trailers....looking for just better mpgs...thanks in adavance
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:50 PM

Justin, l pull boat,cars snowmobiles just looking for something with mpg,s l have a 3 position one but broke wires on switch and dont know where to put them back.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 AM

Another vote for the hydra w/ custom tunes

CopperStroke
2000 Excursion 7.3 10in BDS lift w/ 40'15.50xR20 Raceline wheels wrapped in Toyo Open Countries, Hart Fabrications Ladder Bars, 2in Bora Wheel spacers, 6.4 front clips swap, 6.4 heat/power mirrors, sinister degas system, Smashed dual coolant filter, Jeggs piggy back trans cooler, 6637 intake Napa filter, Riffraff Boost Fooler, MBRP 4in Turbo Back Exhaust, CCv Mod with Mishimoto oil catch system, A1 Cardone box w/ PSC Hydro assist 8in RAM, Pro Comp Shocks, Custom Hub City Customs Headlights, 4r100 bypass delete, Xp1 Stage 3 Transmission w/ Single Disk Billet Torque Converter, Hydra Tuner w/ stock tunes, Edge Insight CS2, Autometer gauges Trans, EGT, Boost Pillar Pod, 04 Explorer Console Swap, Planet Audio Custom Sound, 4 12" 1000w subs matched w/ dual 2800w amps running dual capacitors
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 AM

PHP Hydra is very clean linear clean power, worked well in my 2001 F550 with a standard trans. I had issues with other tuners/chips that the Hydra solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Oil loss | - »