Can a 7.3L with a 4R100 auto benefit from an exhaust brake? - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
Also Big Horn, Here's a very minor point you may have already thought of. What I did to make the DP-Tuner decel program easier to use was to make it the very last program. That way when you're heading downhill and focused on the road all you need to do is hit the "+" button on the tuner multiple times and it will end up in the decel program. Better than having the decel program #4 of 7 programs and having to push the tuner button a precise number of times.
Makes sense— I’ll have to look at the DP Tuner closer. Does it have a digital display then of the tune it’s on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Ask Jody if he turns the decel off when exhaust backpressure is in excess of 60 psi. I’d have to say he doesn’t. Because i know another tuner who was trying to write a decel tune and couldn’t safely do it.

Because brand new factory exhaust valve springs only hold 75 psi. Add in a lot of miles and seat pressure is going to be less.

That’s how you float a valve and ruin a 7.3

If your going to run an exhaust brake it’s highly recomnended to install new valve springs

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
Ask Jody if he turns the decel off when exhaust backpressure is in excess of 60 psi. I’d have to say he doesn’t. Because i know another tuner who was trying to write a decel tune and couldn’t safely do it.

Because brand new factory exhaust valve springs only hold 75 psi. Add in a lot of miles and seat pressure is going to be less.

That’s how you float a valve and ruin a 7.3

If your going to run an exhaust brake it’s highly recomnended to install new valve springs
I’ve went back and did a search on upgrading to heavier valve springs, General information, suppliers, and youtube/ replacement without removing heads. I’m seeing upgraded springs rated for 99 psi and then upgraded springs with the compressed height shortened for 125 psi but they all seem to reference this upgrade as being made for built up motors running high Boost. Is there a trade off or negative aspect to going to the heavier (99 psi) springs with a stock 7.3 / normal boost engine, just for the sake to accommodate the use of the EBPV as an exhaust brake? I guess what I’m getting at is there has to be a reason FORD designed it with the stock 75 psi springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM

No issues running a stronger spring.

No excessive rocker wear or anything.

Shimmed .910’s are the cheapest

Beehives are more geared toward performance engines.

Ford didn’t plan on us running so much boost/exhaust drive pressure.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in