Chip install question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chip install question

Just ordered a Hydra chip for my 01 Excursion with 7.3 and because it's new to me, I'm not really sure if it currently has a program in it or not. I can tell the PCM has been out because the rubber cover is missing and there's a zip tie around the PCM and case. I can see there is no chip currently attached to the PCM, but I don't know if there has been something loaded. So my question is do I have to have the PCM cleared before I add the Hydra or will the install over ride any program that may have been loaded? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I think it will override anything there...just hope you match the codes when programming the new chip.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
I think it will override anything there...just hope you match the codes when programming the new chip.
What do you mean by matching the codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Avery View Post
What do you mean by matching the codes?

You need the computer code it was on the plastic plug that plugs the bottom of the computer this is my computer code plug. Chip install question-img_2050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Gotchya. The rubber plug that's visible from the outward facing side of the PCM is missing. I'll be pulling the PMC to install the chip, so hopefully its on the box somewhere.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You really need the code so that they can program the chip to what your truck has in it such as a automatic or manual transmission.

Have you ordered your chip yet, and where did you order it from? Did they ask you if it was for a manual or a automatic transmission?

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the Hydra from Riffraff Diesel for an auto tranny. I know I need the code and understood I needed to pull the PCM to get access to it. The user can program the chip by computer using their software.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Avery View Post
I ordered the Hydra from Riffraff Diesel for an auto tranny. I know I need the code and understood I needed to pull the PCM to get access to it. The user can program the chip by computer using their software.

Ya you just down load hydra flash on to a laptop and hook up the usb cable that is attached to the chip all ready to the laptop and load the tune to the chip. I loaded a new tune last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM

My Photos: (180)
If you're pulling the PCM out, the code will also be on a sticker where the harness connects in front of the firewall. There's also a sticker on the driver's door hinge (A pillar), but those typically weather enough to be unreadable in short order.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in