The Diesel Stop banner

Chip install question

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
Just ordered a Hydra chip for my 01 Excursion with 7.3 and because it's new to me, I'm not really sure if it currently has a program in it or not. I can tell the PCM has been out because the rubber cover is missing and there's a zip tie around the PCM and case. I can see there is no chip currently attached to the PCM, but I don't know if there has been something loaded. So my question is do I have to have the PCM cleared before I add the Hydra or will the install over ride any program that may have been loaded? Thanks

#2 ·
I think it will override anything there...just hope you match the codes when programming the new chip.

#6 ·
You really need the code so that they can program the chip to what your truck has in it such as a automatic or manual transmission.

Have you ordered your chip yet, and where did you order it from? Did they ask you if it was for a manual or a automatic transmission?

#8 ·
Ya you just down load hydra flash on to a laptop and hook up the usb cable that is attached to the chip all ready to the laptop and load the tune to the chip. I loaded a new tune last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
If you're pulling the PCM out, the code will also be on a sticker where the harness connects in front of the firewall. There's also a sticker on the driver's door hinge (A pillar), but those typically weather enough to be unreadable in short order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.