coolant filter setup question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant filter setup question

I've read many of the vehicle specs on here and noticed quite a few have aftermarket coolant filter setups, I'm curious what the reason for this is? What advantages are guys getting from these? Just looking for a little insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Because these motors were cast in sand and leach grit into the coolant over time which eventually wears out the seals in the water pump.
If you plan on keeping the truck for any lenght of time it is a good investment.

2OOO F-250 4WD Crew Cab, 267,000K miles,
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator, H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Mesa, Arizona
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM

First time you cut open a filter, you will know what we are talking about. Packed with sand.

2000 F250 Lariat S/C SB 4X4 Off-Road
7.3L PSD
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
PullRite Superglide Hitch
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags and Dual Commander II
LINE-X, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Autometer 3-gauge kit, AFE Stage 2 Intake, boot kit, coolant filter kit, A/C heater bypass.
DP Tuner F5 (40HP Tow, 80HP econ, 100HP Race)and ATS Housing
Magnaflow Performance 4 inch turbo back exhaust
BTS tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM

My Photos: (7)
just ordered one- will install it on my "new motor" when I get it done- added protection. and the sand!! I don't want sand floating around in there acting as a liquid abrasive.

My daily driver is a M1151 HMMWV, desert sand in color, runs on JP8.
My personal diesel? '97 F-350 5-spd, Pyro and boost gauges, Banks intercooler, Banks turbo housing, exhaust, Banks chip. Dual remote by-pass oil filter. Now I am ready to get serious- new build will have new chip, new turbo, big injectors, big oil, big fuel, coolant filter, big lift, big tires, rear disc conversion.... getting rid of the Banks stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Harley Daidson Street Glide
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S. Army

4XMayhem.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
There are two different kinds of "sand". So far only the casting sand has been mentioned. The other kind is the precipitate from the supplemental coolant additive (SCA) used in '99-'01 cooling systems.

If you still use green coolant with SCA, then you need a coolant filter to continually filter out the "sand" that's the result of cavitation knocking off small grains of SCA that are stuck to the cylinder walls in the water jacket. Even with the more modern G-05 coolant now recommended by Ford, you'll still get some sand in the cooling system.

International installed a coolant filter in all their trucks with the 7.3L engine. But Ford skrimped on that detail. So if you don't want to flush the "sand" out of your cooling system every coupla years (or replace the water pump regularly), then you need a coolant filter.

You can build your own coolant filter by buying a filter base and filter from almost anywhere, then adding the bits and pieces until you getter done. Or you can buy the whole shebang from DieselSite and save running around all over town to buy parts:
DieselSite coolant filter kit

Or if you want to DIY, start with the filter base. Here's one:
International Coolant Filter Base 427446C1 at DieselManor

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in