DP-Tuner questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP-Tuner questions

I am looking at getting a DP-tuner but have a few questions. I see there is a 20hp, 40hp, 60hp and 80hp tow programs, how do you know what these programs are used for, ie trailer weight ect.. also do they keep the torque converter locked when you let off the gas when going down a hill, or is that something you have to have added.

Also, I do not have any mods right now as I just bought the truck two weeks ago but I do have an a-pillar 3 gage set coming this week, will I be able to add the DP-tuner now and maybe do some exhaust work and intake work later with out it screwing up the tuner?

How much can the factory tranny take be for you need to worry about upgrading it? the 80HP econ will probably be the only other program I am looking at?

And one final question my 1999 has a Cat on it but I noticed the 99.5 and up don't have a cat, can I just get it hacked out of my 99 with no ill effects?

thanks
Steve

Early 1999 F250 XL, auto, 2WD, 7.3L, performance muffler, 3 gage pillar, Beans Stage 1 injectors, DP PCM (Mod stock), DP F5 ( Mod Stock, Drive through, 60HP tow, 80HP economy, 120HP Race) boost tube, boost inhalator, DIY Tymar intake, billet multi-clutch torque converter, HD trans rebuild with Tugger II HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 AM

My Photos: (5)
Re: DP-Tuner questions

Best thing to do is call Jody. Dont worry about screwing up the tuner, worry about hurting the motor. Nothing will hurt the chip. As long as you have a pyrometer and keep an eye on the egts than you don't NEED an exhaust, but you will be able to push the truck harder without worrying about egts as much with an exhaust.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Make sure you put the pyro probe in a pre turbo location like the manifold.

I have 40 tow 80, Econo, 120 race, 140 extreme. Jody told me that he likes to lock the torque converter on all the settings so when you let of the accelerator the truck slows down. I told him I only want it on the 40 tow. Their is no additional price to have the torqued converter locked when letting off the gas.

take care,
Andrew

Ford F550 Crew Cab 4x4 with Fontaine Bed and Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM

My Photos: (2)

I had the 80 econo pcm with nothing else done but the gauges.i ended up gaining 3mpg highway when i could keep my foot out of it.The only thing i would suggest is to put a wicked wheel in there,I dont tow but acouple times uphill i would get the turbo to surge.
So far my tanny is holding up,until my chip gets here tomorrow then i give acouple weeks before i toast it,Im not easy on it i do drive it like i stoll it.Anyway like Clydesdale said put the gauges in and give Jody a call.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I tow on the 140 setting thats just about the only setting I use I have never turned it down for pulling a load

00 CC, LB, DRW, Black F350 4x4, 6 speed, lunar series Boost and EGT. DP tuner 6pos chip SBC clutch,fuel system. GTP 38R BB, by Diesel Inovations. Weld Typhoones rims, Tymar filter,CCV mod and TERMINATOR OIL.
97 CC, SB Green F250 4x4 5 speed, SBC clutch, F5 DP chip, Isspro boost, EGT.Stage II sticks, Tymar, CCV mod, TERMINATOR OIL, Banks pipe kit IC, fuel system, GTP 38R BB Turbo, Weld Typhoones
07 Dodge CTD, QCSB, Dark Gray 4x4, 6 speed, Tinted windows and a B&W hitch, MBRP 4in, AFE Stage 2 Progaurd 7, Centerline Wilderness Grizzly, Smarty CR, Quadzilla Commander, Fass 150, sbc , head studs so far a MPI twin turbo ,DDP 90hp tips also. It still smokes a little
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM

My Photos: (1)

If I remember the 40 tow is good for loads above 10K, the 80 tow can be used for 5K-10K, and the 80 tow for 5K and under. These are just general numbers, a lot would depend on the size and shape of the load as well as the terrain you are towing in and mods done to the truck. As long as temps stay below 1250 you are good to go. I would add a valvebody to the trans before towing with extra ponies. I have the FTVB and Jody's tunes work great with it.

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 PM

LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

00 CC, LB, DRW, Black F350 4x4, 6 speed, lunar series Boost and EGT. DP tuner 6pos chip SBC clutch,fuel system. GTP 38R BB, by Diesel Inovations. Weld Typhoones rims, Tymar filter,CCV mod and TERMINATOR OIL.
97 CC, SB Green F250 4x4 5 speed, SBC clutch, F5 DP chip, Isspro boost, EGT.Stage II sticks, Tymar, CCV mod, TERMINATOR OIL, Banks pipe kit IC, fuel system, GTP 38R BB Turbo, Weld Typhoones
07 Dodge CTD, QCSB, Dark Gray 4x4, 6 speed, Tinted windows and a B&W hitch, MBRP 4in, AFE Stage 2 Progaurd 7, Centerline Wilderness Grizzly, Smarty CR, Quadzilla Commander, Fass 150, sbc , head studs so far a MPI twin turbo ,DDP 90hp tips also. It still smokes a little
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have uncovered the truth about the tow setting on the chip. The tow setting is used to sell more chips and not much else. There is a lot of hype with chip vs programmer and this is one of them. What is the purpose of the tow setting if you still have to watch your gauges????

02 EX 4x4 XLT Premium PSD, AFE Magnum, SPA gauges, Evolution programmer and Edge box, boost tube, Zoodad, 4" DP & exhaust, breather bypass, pre-pump mod, tank mod, H/X mod, AIC, coolant filter, Cyclone fan, Transgo kit + Sonnax valve, rear swaybar, Timbren, Rancho 9000 shocks & stabilizer, Stonecrusher 16x9 and GY 315-70-16/285-75-16 AT/S, Westin bullbar and skid plate, Lund stainless deflector, Mag-Hytec differential, PML tranny pan, Redlines, Amsoil, Hella, Brite Box, BackOFF, Parking Partner, Husky floor mat, full tilt front seats.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM

I tow 12,000 pounds of toybox up and over the mountains with the 80 econo no problem. I must be at least 20,000lbs GCVW.

2002, F350, Lariat, CC, LB, PSD, QLJ5, A/T, ESOF(with hub disable switch), LS, Off Road pkg, AIC, Jordan 2020, X-monitor, IAH removed, Fuel pressure shimmed, DP-Tuner 80 econo, acetoned badges, 315 BFG's on Alcoa's, 4"DPPI exhaust, Sonnax/Tricumulator, DIY BIG air filter with ZooDad, Bilsteins, EBV removed, WW, Proflex SS sleeves over the orange manifold hoses, MAP connected to adjustable pressure regulator, EBPS connected to intake manifold, Red line disconnected, Modified factory wastegate, 200 amp large case alternator, AutoEnginuity, Chris Thompson, SoCal Biodiesel Users Group member, Soon to have a bunch of goodies from Riffraff Diesel.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 PM

I have had my egt's get too hot in the 60tow setting, I was pushing it really hard though. 98% of the time I can tow in 60 or 80 with no problems. I tow probably 11/13K
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM

what else have you done to your truck but a chip and gages?????????

I have no problem pulling my loads up hills and every thing I can't do 70 but 55 60 mph I can

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Not much besides chip and gauges. I'm getting ready to get a TERMINATOR though so that should help with the better atomization and whot not.

Now that I recall this particular load was about 15K and I was pushing it really hard. Going to CO elk hunting. HUGE mountains.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM

My Photos: (52)

I tow in the 120 setting and have no EGT issues... I dont care what tune your running if your not watching your gauges your a retarda...LOL

01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Yup
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 PM

i tow in 80 in the summer, no probs.

my personal theory is that those trucks with issues towing in 80 horse setting have intake leaks somewwhere. However, I also believe that MOST trucks have intake leaks somewhere.

and your truck can develop an intake leak. So, it makes a lot of sense to have gaugues when towing with the 80 setting.

if you run the 40 setting, even if you have have a normal small leak in the boots you probably won't have egt issues. But, if you have a bigger leak, you could hurt your engine, just like you could with the stock setting.

so, use egt. tow with what you are comfortable with.

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in