DP-Tuner questions - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: DP-Tuner questions

First, Jody should be your first source of info on this. Second, I tow 8-10k regularly with the 80 tow. All I have is a set of gauges and an empty cat. I have towed over 15k but the trailer kept me from going over 60mph, not the engine. As for the differences between a tow tune and an econo tune, I remember hearing that the tow tune builds power at lower rpms for help in towing; the econo tune built its power at higher rpms where it's better for higher rpm cruising.

'02 F-350 "Babe The Big Blue Truck" 4x4, Ext. Cab, 8' bed, SRW

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM

My Photos: (1)

Easy Boy's. I didn't say these were fixed in stone. I am just repeating what has been posted on here before as a guideline. I also said as long as your EGT's stay under 1250 you can tow in the 300HP blow your mind tune, but you better watch your EGT gauge, otherwise why have it?

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 AM

My Photos: (0)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have uncovered the truth about the tow setting on the chip. The tow setting is used to sell more chips and not much else. There is a lot of hype with chip vs programmer and this is one of them. What is the purpose of the tow setting if you still have to watch your gauges????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a good idea to watch your gauges. The lower settings are there to make it easier to keep the EGTs in check (or more difficult to get them too high, rather), and the "tow" designation has different shifting characteristics.

The programmer (generic variety of which I believe you're referring to) has multiple settings for the same reason (but with no change in shifting).

2001 F250 4x4 CC 7.3 PSD, GTP38R w/1.15, 250cc hybrids, FASS, regulated return, DI head studs, forged rods, 6.0 CAC, 4" exhaust, Precision TC, built 4r100, aux tcooler, Autometer Gauges, 4" lift, 35s.

Tuned by Matt R.

13.4 @ 100mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have uncovered the truth about the tow setting on the chip. The tow setting is used to sell more chips and not much else. There is a lot of hype with chip vs programmer and this is one of them. What is the purpose of the tow setting if you still have to watch your gauges????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a good idea to watch your gauges. The lower settings are there to make it easier to keep the EGTs in check (or more difficult to get them too high, rather), and the "tow" designation has different shifting characteristics.

The programmer (generic variety of which I believe you're referring to) has multiple settings for the same reason (but with no change in shifting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Ford does not think that it is a good idea to watch your gauges or they would have include some real gauges in the truck. If you have to buy, install, and watch the gauges with a 40hp TOW mode then why bother?

02 EX 4x4 XLT Premium PSD, AFE Magnum, SPA gauges, Evolution programmer and Edge box, boost tube, Zoodad, 4" DP & exhaust, breather bypass, pre-pump mod, tank mod, H/X mod, AIC, coolant filter, Cyclone fan, Transgo kit + Sonnax valve, rear swaybar, Timbren, Rancho 9000 shocks & stabilizer, Stonecrusher 16x9 and GY 315-70-16/285-75-16 AT/S, Westin bullbar and skid plate, Lund stainless deflector, Mag-Hytec differential, PML tranny pan, Redlines, Amsoil, Hella, Brite Box, BackOFF, Parking Partner, Husky floor mat, full tilt front seats.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 PM

My Photos: (2)

I would install guages even in a stock truck, especially with an auto. I blew my first tranny out of my auto when it was stock with a 18K hay trailer behind it. If I had gauges I would have known it was getting hot and saved myself $500 for a tranny install. On my 6-spd. even in stock with a big load I can get my egt's up to 1250 with a big trailer up a big hill.

99.5 F-350 4X4 reg. cab flatbed dually 6spd., Tunes by MCN diesel, Wicked Wheel, dieselsite brv, HX mod, LUK clutch upgrade, Dipricol pyro,boost,fuel. Tymar intake, CCV mod.
2000 F-250 crew cab auto 4X4. Traded on 5-8-07 because of crappy trans for:
2007 Dodge 5.9 cummins 4x4 6-spd. CC dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1987 F-250 6.9 IDI, Old Smokey
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 PM

I agree about needing gauges on a stock truck.

My EGT's ran hotter (hottest ever) when my truck was bone stock (with gauges) than it did bone stock except using a Superchip Micro Tuner running the 80hp mode. I easily could hit 1350F pre-turbo towing as delivered from the factory. With the SCMT-80 it was maxing out at about 1250F full throttle with the same load.

I'm still not completely sure why. I suppose higher ICP helped efficiency and maybe better tranny programming.

2002, F350, Lariat, CC, LB, PSD, QLJ5, A/T, ESOF(with hub disable switch), LS, Off Road pkg, AIC, Jordan 2020, X-monitor, IAH removed, Fuel pressure shimmed, DP-Tuner 80 econo, acetoned badges, 315 BFG's on Alcoa's, 4"DPPI exhaust, Sonnax/Tricumulator, DIY BIG air filter with ZooDad, Bilsteins, EBV removed, WW, Proflex SS sleeves over the orange manifold hoses, MAP connected to adjustable pressure regulator, EBPS connected to intake manifold, Red line disconnected, Modified factory wastegate, 200 amp large case alternator, AutoEnginuity, Chris Thompson, SoCal Biodiesel Users Group member, Soon to have a bunch of goodies from Riffraff Diesel.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Ford does not think that it is a good idea to watch your gauges or they would have include some real gauges in the truck. If you have to buy, install, and watch the gauges with a 40hp TOW mode then why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually agreed with that statement, your truck would be bone stock.

The answer to your question: 40 extra HP and better shifting to name a couple of reasons, not to mention the ability to switch tunes on the fly to see which fits your current towing needs and driving style.

2001 F250 4x4 CC 7.3 PSD, GTP38R w/1.15, 250cc hybrids, FASS, regulated return, DI head studs, forged rods, 6.0 CAC, 4" exhaust, Precision TC, built 4r100, aux tcooler, Autometer Gauges, 4" lift, 35s.

Tuned by Matt R.

13.4 @ 100mph
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question: 40 extra HP and better shifting to name a couple of reasons, not to mention the ability to switch tunes on the fly to see which fits your current towing needs and driving style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watch the gauges when running empty. When towing "heavy" on max setting I do watch the gauges. My question here is why bother with 40TOW setting and watching the gauges when you can tow at 80-120 and watch the gauges. What is the different?

02 EX 4x4 XLT Premium PSD, AFE Magnum, SPA gauges, Evolution programmer and Edge box, boost tube, Zoodad, 4" DP & exhaust, breather bypass, pre-pump mod, tank mod, H/X mod, AIC, coolant filter, Cyclone fan, Transgo kit + Sonnax valve, rear swaybar, Timbren, Rancho 9000 shocks & stabilizer, Stonecrusher 16x9 and GY 315-70-16/285-75-16 AT/S, Westin bullbar and skid plate, Lund stainless deflector, Mag-Hytec differential, PML tranny pan, Redlines, Amsoil, Hella, Brite Box, BackOFF, Parking Partner, Husky floor mat, full tilt front seats.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watch the gauges when running empty. When towing "heavy" on max setting I do watch the gauges. My question here is why bother with 40TOW setting and watching the gauges when you can tow at 80-120 and watch the gauges. What is the different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every truck is different.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

2001 F250 CC 4x4 (Blown motor @ 148k)

Garmon's Diesel Performance (bang bang bang)

01' F250 CC 7.3
6.5" ProComp on 35's Motometal 951's
03' headlights/corners, billet grill, Alpine/XM
16.5:1, Mahle's .0050 with harden forged
Comp 910's, 4130 pushrods, Mac/K&N
H11 studs, HT turbo, DP tuned,
Bean's singles/plentums, DI's fuel system
Mag-Hytec cover, Autometer gauges
Built trans with Red Altos/Mojo VB/PI triple disc.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 07:18 PM

My Photos: (7)

i tow between 20 - 26k lbs gcw with my 40tow in my 99 and i can still get to 1250* pretty easy. If memory serves i get roughly about 20lbs max boost with the 40tow with the wastegate hooked up.

with stock exhaust and no programming i could get 1300* max EGTs on a long pull.

2004 F-350 6.0L 3.73 Dually, 200k+ miles: Silverline cat back exhaust, CFM+ intake elbow, Isspro gauges, Gearhead tunes

2011 F-350 6.7L dually stock

2013 F-350 6.7L dually stock
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i tow between 20 - 26k lbs gcw with my 40tow in my 99 and i can still get to 1250* pretty easy. If memory serves i get roughly about 20lbs max boost with the 40tow with the wastegate hooked up.

with stock exhaust and no programming i could get 1300* max EGTs on a long pull.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. When you are pulling max GCW do you want to take your eyes off the road and watch the gauges?? If I'm going to watch the gauges then I set it on max setting, otherwise I put it in stock position and watch the road instead. Your motor is not going to burn up in stock setting towing within the GCW, your tranny is another story though.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM

how do we get ahold of Jody to get a personally programmed chip?????

2003 F250SD 7.3PSD Crew Cab, Bully Dog 6 position chip, cold air intake, pyro, tranny and boost Cobalt gauges, 4" exhaust.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 PM

www.dp-tuner.com

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in