E99 F350 - Performance Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up E99 F350 - Performance Questions

I recently purchased an E99 F350 (see signature for details) that was customized by 2L Custom Trucks. The truck only has 54k miles on it now, and is primarily being used to tow my 27 foot travel trailer. The trailer is about 6300 lbs empty, and a max weight of ~7800 lbs.

The maiden voyage, a few months ago, revealed an intermittent Service Engine Soon light. I quickly realized that it would only turn on in heavy climbs while I was going close to WOT, and EGTs were above 1100*. I did not scan the truck when I initially got it, but once I had these intermittent SES lights, I had it scanned and it revealed the following:

P1249 Wastegate Control Valve
P0478 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve
P0470 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor

When I first bought the truck, the exhaust brake was not functioning. It has since been repaired (a lot of carbon build up, and a vacuum leak). The codes have been cleared, and since I have been keeping EGTs down, I have not seen the SES light again...

I now do not push it very much on hills. Typically the temps are around 700-900*, and they will raise intermittently as I go up hills. The truck is not "chipped," as far as I know, and the temps appear to be normal, from what I've read on here.

I am a little unhappy with the performance, though. I typically have to climb hills in 4, because if I do so in 3, I'm at about 50mph at redline. It seems strange having to climb hills in 4, but in 75mph zones I try to go at least 55-60mph in the inclines.

I've read some about upgrades. Since I have an E99, I could upgrade to the late 99 turbo and pedestal. I've also read that the BDP Dominator 66 is recommended. Anyone know, If I upgrade my turbo, will my BD Exhaust Brake swap right over?

I've read good things about DP-Tuner. It looks like they suggest/demand aftermarket intake and exhaust with their tunes. Do I upgrade my turbo first, or will I see 'ok' gains on my stock smaller E99 turbo?

As far as the intake, it looks like the Ford Severe Duty intake is recommended. I'm using the stock intake at this point.

I've thought about changing the exhaust, to try and lower EGTs, but I have to run emissions every year in my county, so I'd have to be careful not to smoke too much. Also, not sure how that would effect mating up with the Exhaust Brake, if at all.

Lastly, I have a PCM question. Since I have an E99, I don't have the "cruise" light on the dash. If I were to upgrade the PCM, what specs do I need to make sure match up? Are they transmission specific? I have a 6MT, so it may be pretty difficult to find one compared to an auto.

Alright, I think that is enough questions for now! Thanks all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E99 F350 | 7.3L | 6MT | DRW | Limited Slip 4.10 Rear Axle | BD Exhaust Brake | 90 gal Aux Fuel Tank

Last edited by Weekend Warrior; 11-30-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Mods you should consider (in order).
  • Gauges - EGT at a minimum (looks like you already have them)
  • Larger exhaust system (should be fine with your exhaust brake, although I'm not familiar with BD's.)
  • Intake - The Ford AIS is the best filtration you can get and breathes better than stock. Alternative is an open element.
  • Chip or tuner - DP does a great job on these.
  • Upgraded turbo - Including larger intake plenums from a 99.5 or later.
As far as the PCM. You shouldn't need a different PCM to get the cruise light. If you don't have cruise control on your rig, you can install it from Ford parts (steering wheel with buttons, new clock spring). If you do that, the cruise light will light up when you set the cruise control. If you have cruise and it doesn't work, you'll need to check the various switches that will prevent if from operating (clutch pedal position switch, etc.). If cruise works but the light doesn't come on, then check the bulb in the instrument panel. Your e99 PCM is different from the 99.5 and later, so I don't think they'll switch out. If you do need a new PCM, one from an auto tranny will work on your manual tranny truck.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 11-30-2014 at 12:31 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:06 AM

the cruise control light is soooo bright some guys get rid of it.

the d66 is a direct drop in for a early 99, if you get it with a smaller 1.0 housing it won't be as laggy but it will still be smokey and take longer to spool on a stock injector truck

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Klansmen,

I have turbo and EGT gauges already.

I will look into exhausts. I'm concerned about passing emissions, though...

Everything I have read about E99 says that there is no cruise control light. My cruise control itself works fine, just no programming for the light... the newer PCM fixes that.

Blue99stroker,

Thanks for the info. Maybe not having a light is a blessing in disguise!

E99 F350 | 7.3L | 6MT | DRW | Limited Slip 4.10 Rear Axle | BD Exhaust Brake | 90 gal Aux Fuel Tank

Last edited by Weekend Warrior; 11-30-2014 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Where are you located? In my area if you have a diesel, you are exempt from emissions testing.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Maricopa County, Arizona. Not only are we not exempt, diesels have to test annually.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, isn't this interesting...

According to SmokeyWren, all early 99s have a catalytic converter. According to others, E99 manual transmission trucks did not.

I just checked my emissions report from last year, and it says Cat Inspection: Untested and Catalytic Tamper Inspection: Not Applicable.

The inspection website describes the "snap-acceleration test" they had me perform. So maybe that is why they didn't test/inspect the cat specifically? They did open the hood and look around, so I guess I'll need to find my emissions label (I hear it is on the passenger-side valve cover) and take a look-see under the truck.

I'm interested in getting aftermarket exhaust, but not at the expense of failing emissions and/or breaking the law.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 02:28 AM

the hood sticker usually says as well. it think it reads non-catalyst equiped or something like that.

but the passengers side valve cover ill tell you.

either message hucorey on here or check out alligator performance. you can get diamond eye 4" straight pipe for around 230 or around 260 for muffler system from either company.

since you have to smog your truck you will need a intake system from a brand name company. i recommend S&B personally. flows just as good as AFE and is cheaper. plus they are the only ones who sell their systems with 8 ply filters.

and i forgot to add i also have to smog my truck, my truck is non catalyst from the factory and 4 inch straight pipe passes just fine.

Last edited by blue99stroker; 12-01-2014 at 02:31 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Passenger valve cover will have a "OC" abreviation along with "CAC" if your truck came with a OEM cat. it's also easy to see under the passenger seat area right where the down pipe ends. My cruise light also doesn't come on and I have the PMT1 pcm in my truck, not sure if the bulb is there and I haven't taken the dash apart to check. Where u located ?

Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,35-12.5-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,4" Rough Country lift w/dual steering stabilizers,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I, too, am in Gilbert!

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:20 PM

CAC is charge air cooler. basically the intercooler system.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM

Yup forgot to mention that. The CAC is for charge air cooler(intercooler), and the OC is for oxidizing catalyst(catalytic converter).

Weekend Warrior, I'm off Higley & Frye, I pm'd you my cell # If you want to talk trucks or have questions.

Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,35-12.5-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,4" Rough Country lift w/dual steering stabilizers,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM

My Photos: (28)
You know you can run all day long with EGTs at 1100F? That is a non issue , remembering not to do extended runs over 1250F. The trick is Air In (to the turbo) and air out (exhaust). Restricting either makes things worse, so open them up. I haul a much heavier load than you, but when going uphill, if my speed decreases and my EGTs creep up, at 45-50MPH I will down shift my auto tranny to 2 and og WOT. I can do any hill at a steady 55MPH this way. When you increase your RPMs by about 1,000, your EGTs come down, down, down. Hope that helps some.

'99 F350 XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto, 4.10 rear, 4" Stainless Steel MBRP turbo back exhaust, TYMAR air intake, EDGE CTS Programmer with electronic Gauges, SprayIn Liner, Bilstein Shocks, Red Head Steering Box.

2008 F32SB2 Cardinal Cameo 5er. PullRite Super 5th 18K ISP Hitch
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:26 AM

My Photos: (7)
The E99s are snappy off the line, but don't perform as well towing due to the smaller turbo.

I have early and late 99s and they are setup different. On the early, I have a DP, intake, exhaust and I really need to watch EGTs.

Riffraff has a kit to upgrade the relevant parts from E99 to 99.5 - 2003 which is probably what you're after. I would get rid of the exhaust brake - I played with the EBPV as a brake and found my regular brakes work just fine - and a real "Jake Brake" brake is not good for these engines.

IIRC - the CC light is just missing the bulb - I never bothered putting one in.

Start off with intake and exhaust - but that is not going to help your EGTs too much towing, but will give you some snap. You gotta change the turbo (which means a host of other smaller things to match it up).

Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 PM

i disagree, exhaust and intake will help. should see a 150-200 degree drop in egts.

my friend has a e99 with the usual upgrades and doesnt have issues with egts while towing.

and the kit form riffraff is really pricey, granted its nice getting everything at once.

mine as well get a d66 with 1.0 exhaust housing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in