EBPS unplug or not? Mixed reviews - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPS unplug or not? Mixed reviews

ok where to start, I have heard both sides of this story some say keep it plugged in cause it deals with fueling according to DP tuner and then read a different post that said it doesnt matter unplugged if ebpv is gutted. Ok heres what I have done and found out, I have the ebpv delete pedistal and GTP 38r turbo with bellowed uppipes. with the ebps sensor unplugged I get an extra 4 pounds of boost with it unplugged. I have consider unplugging it getting the sp diesel code eliminator for it and then plug the exhaust hole in the manifold delete the line and use one if dieselsites nice new covers for there and free up some space. Or my other option is to leave it plugged in line is all cleaned out and sensor is less than a year old with no soot and have 4 pounds less boost. Truck runs good either way but feels like it boost a lot faster and harder with it unplugged. What have you discovered. Iam getting 30 pounds plugged in and a little bit over 30 unplugged. I also have the new dieselsite boots and have check truck over dont believe i have any boost leaks wondering what kind of numbers you get if u have same setup? More wondering on the beginning part though,

2002 F25O Supercab 212,090 intake,AIC delete, PI Converter with Suncoast Xtreme Rebuild. DP-tuner 60 TOW, 4in exhaust straight exhaust out the side tire. Garrett Ball Bearing,Top Gun bumbers, Lots of LINE X , Issopro guages, titan fuel tank, New Alliants Injectors and UVCHs, Royal Purple throughout drivetrain, Rotella 5w40 Synthetic oil, Lots of blowby, rusty pan hoping for new motor this year!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Sorry to bring this back to life, but after searching and reading a lot about the EBPS, it's still not clear to me.
I think it is not related to the EBPV systems at all, which I am eliminating now with turbo upgrades anyway.

So what happens if the EBP sensor is simply disconnected? I have a 4" downpipe and don't see how my 4" exhaust system could allow high EBP to occur. Is this a safety system that I don't really need?

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM

My Photos: (8)
I believe if it is unplugged it will make the PCM defuel the engine until the oil temp is in the normal operating zone. Truck starts and runs fine but has problems when I would hit high way. As soon as oil temp hit in normal range problem would go away. I have had this problem for 6 years and could not figure it out spent a lot of money and time chasing it. I just found some posts on the topic a bit a go and picked up resistor to fool the PCM will see if it works.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing...I'm referring to the one in front of the engine, not on the pedestal.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

The ebps is used for fuel trim.

Most owners don't realize it's probably plugged with soot so it's not working right anyway.

I don't notice a difference with it plugged in or unplugged.

I ran a resistor in it for a while and it didn't change anything when I Removed the resistor and plugged it back in.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM

The ebpv and ebps are not connected in any way. The ebps is used for fuel trim.

The ebpv is activated when oil temp is low.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM

My Photos: (8)
I am talking about the one in front.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 PM

The ebps only affects fuel trim, And very slightly at that.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
I am talking about the one in front.

DENNY

Like blue said, the one in the front is the EBPS. There is no gain of any sort if you unplug it. This sensor is use to adjust the fuelling table. So If unplugged or clogged, you will probably see worse MPG than if plugged and clean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Garage
So if its clogged, wouldn't the effect be the same as if its unplugged, that is non-functional? If so, it can't trim the fuel, right?
The reason to trim fuel is because it senses high EBP, which means something is wrong and it tries to protect itself.
Just trying to understand the purpose and function...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 AM

On a stock truck it might have more of an impact. But since most people are tuned, ebp is way higher anyways so I can't say it would have any effect.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Here is what I found out. For a federal emissions truck, the sensor only provides input (one of many) for the EBP valve operation and there is no fuel trim. There is a sticker on the passenger side valve cover to indicate federal or CA emissions. The CA trucks also use the sensor for other functions.
The advice is to leave the sensor plugged in with a clean tube as unplugging it may yield a code or two. If you get a check engine light, then it's in bad shape.
So even though I will not have a EBP valve anymore, I'll leave it be and in working condition, but I will unplug the one on the pedestal.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Correct. Fueling is thru air and oil temp sensors along with MAP where load is sensed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM

On both my trucks the EBPV tube has been removed and plugged at the manifold. The sensor itself at the front of the engine is plugged in but open to atmosphere.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 E99 CALI DELETE
ROTELLA 5W-40, MOBIL1 ATF, PENNZOIL SYNCHROMESH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in