Engine build - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine build

I have a thread already asking weather a 99 7.3 I was considering buying would fit in my 01. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...ll-fit-613985/ I now have it stripped down to just the short block. Cylinder walls have very little ridge maybe a few thou. Bearings look good on mains and rods. My plan which is open to change was to take it to the machine shop and let them tank it and install new cam bearings,and do the cylinder walls however they feel is right. Maybe re-use the stock pistons or buy one of the complete kits that include everything. Since I have access to my 01 engine as well what parts are better if any between the two. I will be using the better rods as informed in previous thread from the 99. Any difference in heads, manifolds that I should be aware of? Its not going to be a super power build but anything that helps while I am doing this would be greatly appreciated. I have built many a gas engine, this will be my first diesel, so any advice would also be appreciated Thanks

Whiskyb
2001 F350 4X4 Super Duty PSD Dually
Almost 400k and still given her
DP Tuner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and guages, DIY air intake, BTM,
Dieselsites trans and coolant filters
Wicked wheel 2 (Gone) , Guzzles billet fpr

Last edited by Whiskyb; 06-03-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. There are no other part difference between the two motors. I'd have the machine shop remove any ridges and lightly hone the cylinders. New rings and bearings, a new oil pump and call it a day. I'd have them clean up the heads- that's usually pretty inexpensive. There would have to be some pretty convincing evidence to let them talk you into boring the cylinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:07 AM

My Photos: (8)
Early 99 had different intake and turbo.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Just went out and bought the ridge reamer. Sunny today so its going to be yard work. Rain tomorrow so it will keep me in the garage using my new tool

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Dropped the block off at the machine shop today. Waiting for any good/bad news. As a side note I had to chainfall the engine into the back of my jeep. Had to remove the hardtop to get it in. That block even bare is heavy
2000F250-7.3 likes this.

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyb View Post
That block even bare is heavy
You got that right!! I was barely able to dump my bare cracked block out the back of the truck at the scrap yard. It did increase the money I got as scrap compared to a gas engine though.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Cylinders 19thou out of round. Waiting on crank results. Evidence is pretty much confirming higher mileage and possibly bad maintenance.

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Ended up machining cylinders and crank. Will be taking the heads to them this week. Are there any issues I should be aware of or common problems with these heads? Is there anything I should have them do while their at it?

Thanks

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:23 AM
RT

No known issues. No cracking issues at all - unlike the 6.0 and 6.4. Just a good valve job and you should be good for another half million miles or better.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

That's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Are the camshafts the same between a 99 and 01? Usually as the years go on the manufacture puts a little more hp and torque into the new models and I was just wondering what parts are better. Are the aftermarket camshafts worth it for a daily driver?

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM
RT

No difference in the part number. All the extra HP was through tuning. Personally, I don't think an aftermarket grind is worth it. These things run so well with the stock cam, I'd just stay with that.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 PM

My Photos: (1)
I would think the piss poor air filter housing Ford used probably allowed it to get dusted and it wore cylinder walls. Usually no lower end wear from that.

The clips breaking or dirty airfilter pulling in happens way to much to the 7.3's not owned by guys that are paying attention. Or trucks that go to less than stellar quickie lube places

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, and yes Jimmie I agree. Probably operated by a employee who just did not care as it was not his. Regardless. its mine now and I want my truck back on the road so I can go camping with my very patient wife

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Ordered the motorcraft rebuild kit from riff raff. Amazing service so far. Received shipping confirmation in under an hour after placing it.

Whiskyb
DP Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in